Cookery books

noon_child

Reaction score
Im gonna post this in Kids section too but it is food related.

My DD has just started school and I'm struggling to think what we will do after I pick her up that will be quality time (and not just necessary chores) but also not too "treat" like. Waiting list for swimming lessons is full city wide and all the sports clubs start too late for her (her bedtime is still 7pm).

Sooooooo I thought that a duple of times a week she could pick something from a cook book and we'd buy the ingredients and cook it together for her supper. Thing is most of my cook books are dinner party type food and I don't want to be buying truffle oil and trying to flambé something with a four year old at my elbow! So have any of you got suggestions for any cook books with nice varied and exciting recipes but not too complex (or dangerous) or time consuming in terms of prep? I used to have a kids cook book when I was small so I guess these things still exist, but I don't want to buy one and be too disappointed/frustrated.

Any recommendations?

We have the River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook, which is very straightforward and basic recipes for family meals that are appropriate for young children, and I think they would be great for cooking together. You might also just look online. My daughter and I cook when she comes home every day (though she's 2.5 so she doesn't really get the whole cook book thing, she just helps with tasks I asked her to). I tend to make things as a mix from cookbooks (I also use the River Cottage Veg one a lot), cooking magazines that I subscribe to, and stuff I find online - usually searching for things like "easy weeknight family meals" or "one pot family meals" brings up recipes that are simple enough that we can make them together without needing any crazy ingredients or slaving over the stove for 3 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->