Cord Blood Bank--Should I do it?

_jellybean_

Reaction score
Should DH and I use a cord blood bank and save LO's cord blood in case he ever needs it? It's pricey. We can afford it though, without sacrificing anything.

Is this really legit? Do they REALLY save it in case you need it? Could it be a scam? Should we do it?

My instincts say yes, but would love opinions, as I'm not totally sure.

Thank you. This place has been a life saver for me. :hugs::kiss:

I was going to when I first saw the leaflet...was presuming it would be about 500 pound. I think the companies charging 2000 is awful!
Have a read of this too, it was in the news last week:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...king-Are-thousands-parents-wasting-money.html

x

We have decided to bank the cord blood, but it has taken a long time and lot of research and talks with my OB and pediatrician (both of who actually recommended it) to come to that decision. It's not a scam...they really do save the stem cells and you can research each company and find out how often they have had people use the cord blood/ for what procedures, etc.

The only real downside is the cost - $1,500-2,000 for the processing and then about $125 per year. And it is highly unlikely that you'll ever actually need it. That's why it's such a big, controversial decision. I felt like I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I was told the most reputable companies with the longest experience are Cord Blood Registry and ViaCord. We went with Cord Blood Registry on the recommendation from my OB. They have the most experience.

Also, if you decide against private banking, please consider public donation...you can save another child's life and it doesn't cost you anything to donate.

I was going to do this, but sadly it wasn't within my finances. I think it's a fantastic idea, you never know when it could come in handy

We've decided to go for it as myturnyet says - you have it just in case but it's highly unlikely anyone will have to use it (we hope of course) so if you can afford it why not. Yes there is masses and years of research that needs to be done but I'd rather have it done it than not.
It's your decision and you're not treating your baby badly by not doing it - it is just a personal choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->