Coronation Street

Coronation Street will introduce the soap's first-ever Muslim family later this year.

Show bosses have decided to build up a family around newcomer Khalid Nazir, played by Jimi Mistry.

Digital Spy can confirm that actor Marc Anwar has already been cast as Khalid's father Sharif. Khalid's mother, son and daughter will also be brought in.

Khalid, known as Kal to his friends, made his first appearance on the ITV soap last month when Dev Alahan hired him as a personal trainer.

Kal will become more prominent on screen over the next few months as he will go into business with Dev and decide to move in nearby.

Coronation Street's producer Stuart Blackburn explained: "We're starting to build Kal's family up. We've cast his dad and I'm loving him on paper already. Kal and Dev are also going to open a gym at the Victoria Court complex.

"We've established that Kal, his son and his daughter live with Kal's mum and dad. We're going to see his mum, dad and his children - we're probably going to bring them onto the street and they'll be the first Muslim family that Corrie has ever had."

On Kal's dad Sharif, he added: "Sharif retired some time ago. He isn't rich, but he'd made enough money. We imagine that there were some health problems and his wife said, 'Now you're no longer going to go to work 12 hours a day!'"

The launch of the gym will also mean that a new regular set is being introduced to the show and will be unveiled later in the year.

Coronation Street will introduce the soap's first-ever Muslim family later this year.

Show bosses have decided to build up a family around newcomer Khalid Nazir, played by Jimi Mistry.

Digital Spy can confirm that actor Marc Anwar has already been cast as Khalid's father Sharif. Khalid's mother, son and daughter will also be brought in.

Khalid, known as Kal to his friends, made his first appearance on the ITV soap last month when Dev Alahan hired him as a personal trainer.

Kal will become more prominent on screen over the next few months as he will go into business with Dev and decide to move in nearby.

Coronation Street's producer Stuart Blackburn explained: "We're starting to build Kal's family up. We've cast his dad and I'm loving him on paper already. Kal and Dev are also going to open a gym at the Victoria Court complex.

"We've established that Kal, his son and his daughter live with Kal's mum and dad. We're going to see his mum, dad and his children - we're probably going to bring them onto the street and they'll be the first Muslim family that Corrie has ever had."

On Kal's dad Sharif, he added: "Sharif retired some time ago. He isn't rich, but he'd made enough money. We imagine that there were some health problems and his wife said, 'Now you're no longer going to go to work 12 hours a day!'"

The launch of the gym will also mean that a new regular set is being introduced to the show and will be unveiled later in the year.

Isn't dev (& sunita) Muslim? :shrug:

That's what I thought!

Can't wait to watch tonights but know I'm going to cry my eyes out :( xx

Can't wait to watch tonights but know I'm going to cry my eyes out :( xx

Same, the clip where she said sorry she has to go! Arghhhh :( x

Aww I know, I almost cried at that so tonights gonna be emotional :( I wonder why she didn't go say goodbye to fizz when she was going round everyone, hopefully she will tonight xx

So sad. Was disappointed Carla and Anna walked in though. Should have remained just the two of them :(

I agree, it would have been so much better just the two at the end. Ive cried buckets. She will be missed from the soap but bother her and roy played the parts brillently.

Can't believe how emotional it was, absolutely heartbreaking, and they did a fantastic job.

Was also disappointed at Anna and Carla walking in, should have left it to Roy and Hayley alone together.

So sad :cry:

xo

Nope...they are a indian family :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->