Could someone in the know just tell me what pram to get??

Sekhmet

First-time mum
Reaction score
I hate going into a shop without knowing what I should be looking for. I'm typically a fanatical researcher of every large purchase, but when it comes to prams I am totally out of my depth.

Hubby's and my plan is that after the 20wk scan tomorrow afternoon we're going to Mothercare to start shopping!! However, I have NO IDEA what pram(s) I should be considering!

I see talk of the 3-in-1 travel systems... those seem like a good idea...

Here are a few factors that affect our decision:
- No car, so we rely a fair amount on public transport - I figure this means it needs to collapse easily and be lightweight
- No car, so we walk a lot, so the pram will see quite a lot of use
- It's Scotland so it rains a lot... I see these pram umbrellas - can all prams take a brolly?

Would love any input... any specific brands to look for, features to look for, etc!!

what about the bugaboo chameleon? the graco travel systems?? i like bebeconfort loola myself,

I hate going into a shop without knowing what I should be looking for. I'm typically a fanatical researcher of every large purchase, but when it comes to prams I am totally out of my depth.

Hubby's and my plan is that after the 20wk scan tomorrow afternoon we're going to Mothercare to start shopping!! However, I have NO IDEA what pram(s) I should be considering!

I see talk of the 3-in-1 travel systems... those seem like a good idea...

Here are a few factors that affect our decision:
- No car, so we rely a fair amount on public transport - I figure this means it needs to collapse easily and be lightweight
- No car, so we walk a lot, so the pram will see quite a lot of use
- It's Scotland so it rains a lot... I see these pram umbrellas - can all prams take a brolly?

Would love any input... any specific brands to look for, features to look for, etc!!

I'm actually completely lost too. Some Qs:

Its really annoying if you want something REALLY lightweight. Even the very lightweight ones are just under 10kg.

As for the umbrellas. I think they're mainly parasols. For the baby you'll need a raincover.

If you don't have a car will you need a car seat if the baby is going with you in someone else's car or a taxi?

The bebeconfort loola is a great puschair, with the option of adding a carrycot and or car seat directly onto the chassis. The umbrellas are usually parasols for the sun, most puschairs come with an all over raincover for wet weather.

Although of you walk everywhere you may want a pushchair with 'tyres', as they will be a lot more hardwearing, I like the look of the mothercare my3, its a pram that turns into a pushchair, forward or rear facing, it can have a car seat attached to the chassis, and as systems go its not too expensive, plus they do a good choice of colours ( I really like the new green one, but the black one is quite sleek).

Also you need to think about the kind of money you are looking to spend, some travel systems/prams are really expensive, where as others you can get a whole package for a reasonable price.

Good luck with your search, let us know how you get on shopping tomorrow. xx

I'm having the mothercare mychoice Mumof5... not sure whether to go for the 3 or 4 yet! It's not realy heavy but not one of the lightest models around. Sekhmet, if you're not sure what to get then the mothercare mychoice is good as it kind of does everything... pram, forward face, back face... can even attach a car seat (although I read you have no car...)

If you're after something realllllly lightweight then a few weeks ago a girl who lived in a high rise flat with no lift posted asking for suggestions... maybe search this forum for that?

The loola would be good if you use public transport because it folds all in one, you don't need to take the seat off or anything, it lies flat so you don't actually have to buy the carrycot etc! I would go for this- it was my second choice but we went for the buzz due to the carseat and we use the car alot! x

I have just ordered the mothercare excursion which is really light weight and a great price it comes with a car seat so its there if you do need it and it lies flat and sits up i think its fantastic! have a look xxx

We are getting this one hun...

https://trio4me.chicco.com/

You can have it as a pram, a forward facing push chair and also a rear facing pushchair (it comes with a car seat but you could sell that part). You can get rainhoods for it as well. The main thing that I like is that you can have it as either a two handled pushchair for click the bar on and have it as a one handled pushchair, so depending on where you are going and it you wasnt to push with one and or two you can change it.

Most of my friends swear by the Bugaboo cameleon - not exactly lightweight, but very sturdy, spins around easily, very stable (could be a factor on stairs, etc.) and very sturdy. As for public transport, it depends what type, and what type of space they have for buggies. Sometimes too much lightweight mean not as stable structurally.

I've also ordered a loola, after a couple of trips to mothercare and being there for about an hour and a half at the weekend and playing with quite a few different ones. I found it the easiest to fold up (we were also looking at quinny buzz and mothercare my3/my4). The only thing with all of these, if you are using the pram, is that you have to take it off to fold it up. You are also meant to take the seat off the buzz/my3 or 4 to fold it as well.
Initially we looked at a silvercross one too, but the frame seems a bit too light to me, like it would damage easily.

Go have a play see what you think. Mothercare's website has a "help me choose" function which comes up with some good ideas. The catalogue also has weights in so you could check which is most lightweight.

Another hint, I found kiddicare.com has more accessories than mothercare, like rain covers for the carrycot, changing bag etc that mothercare didn't. Would be worth a look once you've decided.

Happy shopping, it'll make your head hurt (it did me)

Hi

I cant help in same position, however I just wanted to say you need a car seat car or not it is a requirement they dont need to let the baby out of hospital without one. I am sure that you get lifts with people, parents etc and it is unlikely that you will be coming out of hospital and onto the bus and the hospital wont let you go without the seat. So a 3 in 1 is the best type.

We looked at the bugaboo at the weekend and considering the cost is much more than many others it is not as sturdy and well made as some. I am thinking Icandy apple jogger :happydance: Check on ebay you might get a bargain:)

I decided on the mamas and papas pliko pramette travel system because I too don't drive and will be getting the bus a lot and it is very light and the wheels are not too big, as friends have told me it is a nightmare squeezing 2 prams with big wheels on a bus. You can also get so many accesories for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->