couple of Q about occasional expressing

Mummy Bean

Parker & Dougs Mum
Reaction score
sorry I know this a repeated topic, but as Doug now 4 weeks and I felt BF was going good I decided to pump and try a bottle - and what seems to be a success!

however just a few question going forward.
- I heard it should be stored 6 hr in the room, 6 days in the fridge and 6 months in the freezer - is that correct?
So If I am going out for the day somewhere I don't feel comfortable BF I can just take a bottle of BM - I don't need to keep it chilled or anything??

- I only want to give it occasionally like if I am going out without baby so could be every couple of weeks. - will he forget how to take it...or do I need to give a bottle more regularly like 1/2 a week?

- If he doesn't drink all of it can I put what's left in the fridge to use later or is it best to dump it?

- If I am only occasionally pumping how much do you reckon is safe to pump at one time? I seem to have a pretty fast let down and just got 2oz in 5min and I don't feel empty. and does it matter what time of day I do it?

thanks in advance

Replies in blue x

sorry I know this a repeated topic, but as Doug now 4 weeks and I felt BF was going good I decided to pump and try a bottle - and what seems to be a success!

however just a few question going forward.
- I heard it should be stored 6 hr in the room, 6 days in the fridge and 6 months in the freezer - is that correct?
So If I am going out for the day somewhere I don't feel comfortable BF I can just take a bottle of BM - I don't need to keep it chilled or anything?? that sounds about right. Information varies from place to place but breastmilk is pretty robust so I think the lower numbers - 3 hours/weeks/months - are overly cautious

- I only want to give it occasionally like if I am going out without baby so could be every couple of weeks. - will he forget how to take it...or do I need to give a bottle more regularly like 1/2 a week? some babies are happy having infrequent bottles but others suddenly start rejecting them. I know someone whose baby had one a day and still decided to stop taking them, so it probably doesn't matter much.

- If he doesn't drink all of it can I put what's left in the fridge to use later or is it best to dump it? as long as you put it in straight away it is good for another 2 or 3 hours. Bacteria enters the bottle from baby's mouth but breastmilk has antibacterial properties so it is much harder to contaminate.

- If I am only occasionally pumping how much do you reckon is safe to pump at one time? I seem to have a pretty fast let down and just got 2oz in 5min and I don't feel empty. and does it matter what time of day I do it? morning is usually when you have the most milk, so it is easiest to do it then. I tend to get similar from the initial letdown but it can then take me a little while longer to get more from further letdowns.

thanks in advance

I have also read milk is good in a deep freezer 6-12 months.

Freshly expressed milk is good at room temp for about 6 hours, but if it has already been in the fridge you would have to account for that. So if it has been in the fridge for 2 days, I wouldn't take it out for more than a couple hours.

Of course, I've never thrown any out except some that was thawed (if you freeze then fridge, 24 hours max - freezing kills some antibacterial stuff). I have always figured if it didn't smell off, it was probably good. LO's never gotten sick off it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->