crappy government

This sort of discussion always gets my back up.

Where the CTF is concerned, why the hell should taxpayers pay for other peoples children to have savings? You want kids, you want them to have savings, pay for them yourself. What about the families that have ten kids, thats 5 grands worth - why should tax payers pay for that? Regardless of whether the country is in a mess financially or not I don't believe these should have ever been introduced.

As for the rest, why do people need £500 to pay for baby things? Have people never heard of buying second hand cots, buggies etc? I can't see why anyone would need £500 to buy baby items, a newborn baby actually needs very little, again why should the taxpayer finance other people wants for expensive nursery furniture/equipment etc? Same goes for the £190 - I am entitled to that but would actually be happy for them to scrap that also, or at least means test it. I can imagine a huge percentage of expectant mothers spending that money on anything but being "healthy in pregnancy". Surely the government shouldn't pay for pregnant women to be healthy, surely any pregnant woman would want to take care of her health through healthy eating, not drinking, not smoking, gentle exercise etc, why does the government have to bribe women to do this with this money?

Rant over.

I completely agree!

CTF - What the hell will £250 be worth in 18 years anyway, all that's going to happen is that all our babies will be using it to go on holiday or something, it won't get very far towards uni etc, it will just be flittered away! and I don't see why the taxpayer should fund this, always thought it was stupid!

Also, as adults, it is our won decision to have children and we shouldn't be putting ourselves in the position to get pregnant if we can not afford to! We have 9 months to prepare for the birth of our children and therefore 9 months to save and buy things for them so why should people get £500 to buy these things????

Also, the HIP grant to me seems like a ridiculous amount of money, what exactly is it for??? We went to the baby show yesterday and used ours to buy reusable nappies, it was very nice to have them for free but also we would have saved for them if we hadn't been given the money, it just seems so much money to hand out to everyone!! And I bet no one uses it for fruit and veg!! My midwife calls it a 'handbag grant'!!!

My thoughts exactly.

Never said parenting didn't come without responsibility.

You just need to spare a thought for the people less fortunate than yourself. Some people, really do have absolutely nothing.

Anyway, i'm not up for a 'rights' war today, way too hot! :flower:

The HIP needs to go too IMO, i mean not everyone even uses it for what it is meant for, there was a thread in this section just 2 weeks ago about what people were spending their HIP on, I am sorry but why the hell should my future hubby's taxes pay for someone to 'go to london for a weekend' or 'buy tickets to a cricket match'

claire - i've been looking into reusable nappies and the average starting out cost is £300... now i don't think there are that many people that could (or would want to) shell out that much on nappies when they could pay approximately £10 a go on disposables (and yes i already know that in the long run it costs more, but it's the starting out cost that i'm talking about!!)

I'm sure you can get them cheaper than that, someone on this thread has said they bought theirs for £100 I think, again this is something that can be bought secondhand.

claire - i've been looking into reusable nappies and the average starting out cost is £300... now i don't think there are that many people that could (or would want to) shell out that much on nappies when they could pay approximately £10 a go on disposables (and yes i already know that in the long run it costs more, but it's the starting out cost that i'm talking about!!)

I got 16 birth to potty nappies, 2 wash bags, 100 liners and a bin for £162, you can get them for cheaper on ebay if you buy 2nd hand (lots of my friends did this) I paid extra aswell because I wanted ones with pretty patterns!
Also you can use them for any other kids you have!

I now have all the nappies I need to last me will I potty train at about 2, so if you spend £10 a week on nappies then they have paid for themselves after 17 weeks and are in profit after that! AND I had about £30 left from my HIP grant!

i think the child trust fund isnt needed really....
my son got the full £500 as i was son income support then, but even being on income support for a year and then working full time he now has a savings account of nearly 4grand. so i think parents should just save for their own children, and plus if theyre cutting it to just £50 then its a bit pointless really?

and butterfly... personally, i think you have a bit of a cheek even applying for the hip grant let alone using it (and for something it's not even for), when you're moaning about people who want/need CTF and that other £500 payment?? just my opinion though!!! just seems a little hypocritical

i plan on applying for the hip grant but don't plan on using it to buy healthy food, but i'm not the one moaning about it and being a hypocrite :)

anyway, i am not one of the people needing the £500 sure start thing, i just think that some people's views are a little rude and then the hypocracy just bugged me even more

in regards to reuseable nappies - many councils offer schemes (money towards cloth nappies), worth looking into, and if you buy pre loved you can save money, and remember you make money back again when you sell them after

and i also agree with the hip money, weve bought all our baby stuff already and havnt got the hip yet. and we eat very healthy so will be spending the money on something irrelevant to baby or saving it as the baby has way too much stuff already.

and butterfly... personally, i think you have a bit of a cheek even applying for the hip grant let alone using it (and for something it's not even for), when you're moaning about people who want/need CTF and that other £500 payment?? just my opinion though!!! just seems a little hypocritical

i plan on applying for the hip grant but don't plan on using it to buy healthy food, but i'm not the one moaning about it and being a hypocrite :)

anyway, i am not one of the people needing the £500 sure start thing, i just think that some people's views are a little rude and then the hypocracy just bugged me even more

Sorry but who on earth would turn down £190 free from the government who I give a fortune in taxes a month to just because I think it's a stupid policy????

in regards to reuseable nappies - many councils offer schemes (money towards cloth nappies), worth looking into, and if you buy pre loved you can save money, and remember you make money back again when you sell them after

yeah but my point is not about me wanting to buy them (i am far too confused about what you need anyway so thinking of not bothering) - my point is that SOME people can't even afford £160 odd quid for nappies when it's easier for them just to buy at £10 or less a go for disposables

Sorry but who on earth would turn down £190 free from the government who I give a fortune in taxes a month to just because I think it's a stupid policy????

well apparently some people are turning down payments because they don't agree with them... if i didn't agree with something i wouldn't apply for it!

well apparently some people are turning down payments because they don't agree with them... if i didn't agree with something i wouldn't apply for it!

Really??

Well these people have obviously more money than sense!

Really??

see thats exactly why this country is in this mess :dohh:

Really??

haha on the previous page it was claire saying she'd turn it down when i asked her!! so fair enough moan about it if you're not going to take the money but i personally think it's wrong to moan about something... but then still accept it anyway!!

can i just point out that i am in NO WAY trying to offend anyone nor do i want people to not speak to me in a nice manner in another post just because of my opinion - as i wouldn't do that either :)

think i shall move on from this post :)

child trust fund... cut from £250 to £50 and the £500 grant cut to £100... i don't qualify for the £500 one anyone ways but this is being put in place from August 1st 2010 any babies with a due date after this date will have their trust fund and grant cut

I guess im very lucky my babies due date is...the augusts 1st

How are people with low income going to uy anything for there baby without the 500 pounds im glad Ive got my for ready to be sent off as im 30 weeks now!

I agree with Buttonose on this topic, i dont even need to read her posts but i know we are on the same level on this subject ;)

I wish people would think of the long term rather than the short term and their own "free money" benefeit, it will benefeit you 100000 times more in the long run!!

wish people would understand that regardless of which party got in, cuts needed and would have been make

god forbid the tories actually try and do what they are employed to do ..... run the country and get us out of debt :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->