crappy government

Just to add, my mum was a single parent until I was 6 and even then my parents were on a pretty low income. I managed to get to Uni (granted I didn't stay there too long as I got pregnant) but they still saved money for me, even if it was only a few quid a month

i feel for you not having a job but would u employ someone who is going to have a baby in a few weeks? I wouldn't :( Theyre in business to make money afterall.

I get what your saying, and i dont know tbh, it depends on how much I wanted that person for the job, one of the points i was trying to make though is that im trying hard to get back into work..

There will be some who get the £500 sure start and use it for crap, buy there other halfs beer, use it for things that are not baby related, i really dont think everybody should be tarred with the same brush.

I went from eating out at lovely restaurants, going to the pics once a week, shopping whenever i fancied etc to being one of the unfortuanate millions+ folk who have been laid off and now live off no frills food with a 2 for 1 treat once a month at brewsters...

it makes me so sad that i have ended up like this and feel such a failure as a person and a mummy :cry:

Hun, you shouldn't feel bad or a "failure" I'm sure you're neither of those things :hugs: and I'm sure you're a fantastic mummy!

To be honest, I don't have any problems with people taking from the state if it's needed, it just pisses me off when I see people (and I'm not talking about anyone here, I'm talking people who I know) who've never done a days work in their life (and have no intention to), and who get "knocked up" just because they know the state will fund everything for them - benefits, rent, council tax - all the things that most people have to work bloody hard for. But where do you draw the line, how do you differentiate between those genuinely in need of some financial help, and those who just take the piss?

Again I feel I need to say that this isn't aimed at anyone here, it's something I feel strongly about and think it's time this government sorted out.

i can see alot of points and i see both sides i dont work but not cause i choose not to it cause im ill and have been signed off, now i have worked though since i left school untill i got to ill i couldnt work.

now i do get benefits plus i get dla not the life i choose but i cant help it but when i apply for my sure start grant every penny will go on stuff for the lo as thats what its for.

without that i will struggle.

and it wasnt just gordon brown who got us in this mess the whole world went in to ressison.

i know he has to make cut backs but we will all suffer to be honest when ur intrest rates jump up along with the pertol and all the rest we will all be in the same boat.

Its the middle income families that are going to be worse off out of everyone. Nothing will change for those on low incomes other than not getting the CTF which 10 years ago you didnt get and wouldnt have known about to miss it. If you want to save for your child (like our parents did for us) then everyone is more than capable of opening an account on the childs behalf without expecting the Government to make the first deposit!

CTF is a waste of money imo! .. we don't have the money to waste! think people just expect too much to be handed to them on a plate! just open you're own savings account ... and put a quid a WEEK in for 18 years! .. i'm no genius but im sure thats more then 250 quid :p think about it .... its a HUGE HUGE waste of money besides their you're children not the governments.. its a nice idea if the country can afford it! .. x

I knew this thread would start a huuuuge debate lol! I think we all have to agree and disagree, as no side is wrong or right entirely!

I am 23yrs old and coming from a working class family and have worked since leaving school. I have (very luckily) just started employment after having to leave my cushty job in Leeds to move to be with my OH in London. I was shocked to find out that I wasn't entitled to any benefits or the sure start just because my OH was earning, but it isn't a fat lot tbh, we were struggling badly. This made me mad as as ClaireLR has rightly said, I know many ppl that r capable of working but don't and just expect things to get handed to them on a plate (and it is!!) where as when I once needed help, my country let me down. But enough of the rant, like I say I'm now working and will have to worry all over again what's going to happen with our finances, any credits we are entitled to etc when LO is here.

Like many ppl have said, our parents and grandparents didn't get the help we all get now, and yes it was a struggle but they survived and we will too! I'm not going to say what benefits, grants, HIP's etc should be abolished or anything like that as it's not for me to say, like I said, I know ppl that DO abuse the system, but on the other hand I know plenty of other ppl that DON'T and really do need the help and 100% deserve it!! Rich, working/middle class/low-income/poor shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush is what I'm getting at!! x

I agree with CTF being scrapped, for the reasons mentioned by bexy_22 and Polo Princess.

Also, I don't get why people are going on and on about how much they need the sure start £500 :confused: It's not that which they're getting rid of, you'll still get it. xx

i haven't read every comment, but i read some of claireLR's.

some people do NEED that £500.
yes you can buy a load of no frills reusables to go from birth to potty for £100 - i dont have a spare £100 to do that!?
even a second hand cot without a mattress sets back £60 i dont have spare £60
when i get that £500 no, i am not going to waste it on items i WANT, i'll get what baby NEEDS which will add up to a total of around 500, obviously the government recognised that was the ammount NEEDED to buy all essentials.

and no, i dont have enough money left over after a week to save to buy. there are people that NEED it.

i think its been established we are still getting the sure start grant, but i felt the need to say regarding those comments that some people do actualy total depend on the money.
i too think the hip grant should go, cos no, after that £500 an extra 190 isn't needed and it is wasted, its what healthy start vouchers are there for, i dont think people need healthy start vouchers and the grant.

Both the Conservatives and Lib Dems had this in their manifestos before the elections. When we were children, our parents didnt receive CTF or HIP grant, and we all survived. Cuts needed to be made somewhere so the country can be put on track, the essential services can be run as they should be (ie the NHS) and we can get out of this debt. Its for the best, and with the HIP grant never being spent the way it was intended, I'm pleased they are doing it

Exactly :)

cant get over how people ACTUALLY think that their 500 pounds surestart is being taken away ... show me where it says this :)? ... stop getting upset over things that ARE NOT HAPPENING !!! geee wizzzz :) x

This sort of discussion always gets my back up.

Where the CTF is concerned, why the hell should taxpayers pay for other peoples children to have savings? You want kids, you want them to have savings, pay for them yourself. What about the families that have ten kids, thats 5 grands worth - why should tax payers pay for that? Regardless of whether the country is in a mess financially or not I don't believe these should have ever been introduced.

As for the rest, why do people need £500 to pay for baby things? Have people never heard of buying second hand cots, buggies etc? I can't see why anyone would need £500 to buy baby items, a newborn baby actually needs very little, again why should the taxpayer finance other people wants for expensive nursery furniture/equipment etc? Same goes for the £190 - I am entitled to that but would actually be happy for them to scrap that also, or at least means test it. I can imagine a huge percentage of expectant mothers spending that money on anything but being "healthy in pregnancy". Surely the government shouldn't pay for pregnant women to be healthy, surely any pregnant woman would want to take care of her health through healthy eating, not drinking, not smoking, gentle exercise etc, why does the government have to bribe women to do this with this money?

Rant over.

I agree with this 100%.

AGREED! ^^^ you're kids YOU pay for them... sorry this is a bit harsh and i know people get dumped in tough spots, but people always managed.. without fancy crap in the past and you will now :)

ANYWAYS its a pointless discussion because they ARE NOT scrapping the 500 quid!

I also agree with the above post. If you want kids, you should be the one who saves for them. I get benefits at the minute but that is to help us live now, day to day. I ask people to put money into an account for Grace at christmas and on birthdays instead of buying her stuff she'll never play with. The £500 isn't going to be stopped. I think it's ridiculous that anyone would need that much to buy baby stuff, like the other post says, second hand stuff off ebay or something is often more than enough and a fraction of the price. As for the HIP grant, I think that's the stupidest excuse for a grant I have ever heard lol I very much doubt many women use £190 to buy organic veg and Ryvita...

I'm going to be harsh here but if you cant provide for a baby in the first place without relying on the goverments help then dont have one! Simple!!

I'm going to be harsh here but if you cant provide for a baby in the first place without relying on the goverments help then dont have one! Simple!!

Unplanned pregnancies exempt though ;) obviously you should never TTC if you know you will have to rely on government help

DirtyKitty that is one of the most narrowminded and offensive comments I have ever read.

Ever heard of an unplanned pregnancy, which some people could be unprepared for?

:roll:

This sort of discussion always gets my back up.

Where the CTF is concerned, why the hell should taxpayers pay for other peoples children to have savings? You want kids, you want them to have savings, pay for them yourself. What about the families that have ten kids, thats 5 grands worth - why should tax payers pay for that? Regardless of whether the country is in a mess financially or not I don't believe these should have ever been introduced.

As for the rest, why do people need £500 to pay for baby things? Have people never heard of buying second hand cots, buggies etc? I can't see why anyone would need £500 to buy baby items, a newborn baby actually needs very little, again why should the taxpayer finance other people wants for expensive nursery furniture/equipment etc? Same goes for the £190 - I am entitled to that but would actually be happy for them to scrap that also, or at least means test it. I can imagine a huge percentage of expectant mothers spending that money on anything but being "healthy in pregnancy". Surely the government shouldn't pay for pregnant women to be healthy, surely any pregnant woman would want to take care of her health through healthy eating, not drinking, not smoking, gentle exercise etc, why does the government have to bribe women to do this with this money?

Rant over.

I agree with this 100%.

I also agree with this 100% my partner is on a low wage but we don't get any help or expect to its our child and we will pay for them ourselves i don't expect anyone esle too is our responsibility, we have 9 months to save like hell so that i can afford to have time off with LO

i haven't read every comment, but i read some of claireLR's.

some people do NEED that £500.
yes you can buy a load of no frills reusables to go from birth to potty for £100 - i dont have a spare £100 to do that!?
even a second hand cot without a mattress sets back £60 i dont have spare £60
when i get that £500 no, i am not going to waste it on items i WANT, i'll get what baby NEEDS which will add up to a total of around 500, obviously the government recognised that was the ammount NEEDED to buy all essentials.

and no, i dont have enough money left over after a week to save to buy. there are people that NEED it.

i think its been established we are still getting the sure start grant, but i felt the need to say regarding those comments that some people do actualy total depend on the money.
i too think the hip grant should go, cos no, after that £500 an extra 190 isn't needed and it is wasted, its what healthy start vouchers are there for, i dont think people need healthy start vouchers and the grant.

So what would you have done if that £500 had NEVER been there for the taking? Would you have not had children? Or would you have found a way to afford to buy the things you need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->