crib vs mini crib?

MaddyMonster

Scott and Cloë
Reaction score
I found a nice mini crib that converts into a toddler bed or a twin bed, but I don't really know the difference between a standard crib and a mini crib, besides that the mini is smaller. Pros and cons? Experience with mini crib? we have to share a room with baby because our apartment only has one bedroom, and it's quite small, so I thought the mini crib would be nice, but I wanted to know other peoples experience with them before I buy it

We bought a minicrib for #1. We ended up bedsharing (not because of the crib), so didn't use it, but I would probably consider it a short-term option, between a bassinet and a crib, rather than something you'd use for a 1yo, for example. He definitely wouldn't have had the room to roll around like he does-- he would have been constantly rolling into and hitting/kicking the sides.
You could probably get away with it in a pinch and it would definitely be sufficient if you wanted to move baby to a montessori-style floor bed before/very close to toddlerhood. But if you're very insistent on keeping baby in the crib and happen to have a baby that moves around a lot at night, I would be prepared to also have to buy a regular-sized crib. hth

I also found it difficult to find a nice mattress for the mini-crib. All the ones I found (and I shipped several back to amazon trying to find something) were pretty flimsy and crappy compared to even the cheaper mattresses I could find for a regular crib, but it might just be that I didn't know where to look.

I also found it difficult to find a nice mattress for the mini-crib. All the ones I found (and I shipped several back to amazon trying to find something) were pretty flimsy and crappy compared to even the cheaper mattresses I could find for a regular crib, but it might just be that I didn't know where to look.

This is what I was wondering about. I don't seem to find mini crib mattresses anywhere, but I wasn't sure if I was looking in the wrong places.

Id go for what fits in best in your home as you have to live there and work round it, to begin with my little ones liked to be all cosy and snug and wouldnt sleep in anything big. Obviously smaller things wont last as long, but equally my two were in single beds well before they 'outgrew' their cot so its hard to say!!

This is what I was wondering about. I don't seem to find mini crib mattresses anywhere, but I wasn't sure if I was looking in the wrong places.

Yeah, I don't think there are many places that sell them in-store in the US. I know we couldn't find anywhere in person and it's really difficult to tell what you're buying online. Several times I thought I'd bought something that was real-mattress-like, like you see in lots of the normal crib mattresses and they just ended up being thin little bad-quality foam pieces.

I've been looking for a mattress for it on the same website that the crib is on, and I haven't found it yet, but they have tons of them, so I haven't looked through them all. That's the only issue I'm having so far. I've heard bedding is also hard to find, but my mom absolutely loves sewing and she would be able to make sheets and things pretty easily, so that's not a problem.

I just found the mattress for the crib at kohls, which made me happy. so now i just have to decide if i want to get it or not. my mom seems to think that it's a good idea because of how small our room is, and a regular crib would take up a lot of space. It comes with a rail for when you convert it into a toddler bed so if she rolls around while she sleeps she wont fall off. and i suppose it's pretty cheap for a crib, so if i ended up needing to buy a regular sized crib it wouldn't be such a big deal. what do you ladies think?

Here in the UK, we call a crib, a cot. With every baby I've used a moses basket downstairs and a mini cot in the bedroom until baby can roll and sit up then I buy the normal size cotbed which turns into a toddler bed when needed.

I just don't see the point in buying a cot right from the beginning when baby is too little to sleep in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->