Cycle After Breastfeeding

vyktoriah

Mama to Dex. No 2 coming!
Reaction score
Hello. I just had my baby Dex earlier this year, and I've been breastfeeding him for the past 9 months. I just got my first period 11 days ago, which went for 6 days. Pre-pregnancy, I had PCOS and my periods would last around 8 days and were very heavy. This one was fairly normal, with only the first couple of days being heavy.

I guess I wondered if the more normal period means that my PCOS may have cleared up with the pregnancy...

I'm also curious whether I should anticipate a longer/shorter cycle due to the breastfeeding. We dont' know when we're TTC as we are waiting to hear some vital info which might make us have to wait. But we may start trying this cycle if the news isn't what we think it could be.

I bought some ovulation tests, but there are only 5 in the pack, and I am just worried about using them at the wrong time. Any advice on when I should check for ovulation?

I've never been very good at reading the "other" signs associated with ovulation, so I guess I just want to know when I should start to anticipate ovulation being near...

Oh and one last question - if we DID start TTC soon, should I give up breastfeeding? I've heard that it causes your uterus to contract and could cause miscarriage, but I've also heard it's absolutely fine... So I'm confused.

Any advice is appreciated. :D

Breastfeeding is completely safe while pregnant so you don't need to stop if you aren't ready. I'm probably going to start trying within the next 6 months and am planning on breastfeeding while pregnant as I'm shooting for a year. I read this article and thought it was interesting and informative :) https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/ask-heidi/breastfeeding-while-pregnant.aspx.

Not got any advice, but not seen you before so wanted to say hi! :)

Well, when I was breastfeeding, there was no predictability to my cycles. I would have one 30ish day cycle, then another that was closer to 50 days...the nursing still threw my cycle off a bit...If you want to learn more about ovulation signs, etc. you could read the information on fertilityfriend.com. Very educational and informative. I think the only way you will know about your PCOS is to just wait it out and see how they cycles come; I am always wishing for a magic ball myself!

If it were me I would finish out breastfeeding to the one year mark. I was able to get pregnant while still nursing. You are not nursing as often as when your little one was a newborn, so it should not have as much of an impact on your fertility! Women get pregnant while nursing all the time! You can too! :)

I hope that you get the news you are looking for and if you decide to TTC, then I want to wish you lots of luck! One more thing...I have always heard that it is easier to get pregnant the second time around, even with PCOS, your body now has a better idea of what to do with that little fertilized egg! :)

Hi! I can't contribute anything on the PCOS front, but I will agree that BF makes your cycles wonky as heck! My cycles used to be around 31 days long. My boy is 13 months now and still a booby monster, and my first cycle was almost 50 days (!) with O around day 39. CRAZY! If I didn't know better I would have wasted a ton of tests, luckily I was charting so I wasn't missing AF when I expected her to show.

Since you are breastfeeding it's impossible to know what to expect. You may not get your period again until baby weans, or you may get very regular cycles :shrug:. If you don't want to waste OPKs, I suggest temping. If that's impossible due to the baby, just watch your cervical mucus closely. It will get super thin, FF calls it "eggwhite" consistency when you are close to ovulating. Start using your OPKs when you notice this. That's my advice, hope it helps. Good luck with it all!

Oh yeah, and please don't wean before a year, longer if you can manage it. Your body should be able to sustain a pregnancy fine, the reason our cycles go dormant is because our bodies are generally waiting until we can sustain a new pregnancy before it even allows it to be a possibility. I know plenty of mamas who have BF from beginning to end of pregnancy and then even tandem nursed (nursed new baby and older baby/toddler).

This is something I was worried.This post help me so much to solve my matter.

Thank you all for the advice. :) I am definitely wanting to keep BF if it is safe, but so many people are giving me conflicting advice that I was worried. This helps me feel much better! :)

I will have to look up more information about tracking and stuff, as I just have no idea how it works. Pre-pregnancy my cycles went anywhere from 32 days to 9 months! In fact, the three months before I got pregnant were the first three of my ENTIRE LIFE that I had somewhat regular periods. Its the only reason I even took a pregnancy test - because the fourth month I was later than I'd been. ;)

Anyway, thanks again for all the help!!

Breastfeeding is very safe while pregnant however a lot of women notice changes in supply because of all the hormonal changes again.

I have had 3 cycles now since giving birth and the first and second were not like my usual. I have PCOS too. However my last cycle was just as bad, in fact it was brutal! I think its very variable right now.

I would start using OPKs about CD9-CD10. It depends on the length of your usual cycle. The best sign to look for when your ovulating is having lots and lots of clear white discharge down there that is thin.

I don't have any advice but didn't want to read and run. I hope you get everything figured out. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->