Dairy free moms

Hi I am dairy free and have been for about 6 years now (my LO is fine with dairy though, despite never having any before he started weaning).

There are lots of good dairy free alternatives to most things, I have soya milk, soya yogurts and even soya chocolate. The supermarket has 'free from' stuff so you can even get cakes and biscuits if you want them. I have found some vegan cheese in my health food shop, and although not a patch on real cheese, it's better than nothing.

I also bought a really good cook book called The Allergy Free Cook Book for Kids.

Many babies can't handle the soy proteins either with the CMPA. So there are it a lot of choices for substitutes. And no matter what I try nothing is as good as a glass of cow milk and chocolate cake or milk with my dinner!

I agree no subsitute will ever be as good as a chocolate bar, or some cheese, or a full fat milk latte, or an indian. 6 years without even a teeny tiny bit of those things. I still miss them so much :cry:

Oat milk, rice milk and almond milk are great too. I also love Vanilla Rice Milk. The cook book I mentioned is an American one and it has recipes for cakes, so you could still have your chocolate cake as the recipes in the book are free from wheat, dairy, nuts, eggs, soy, fish and shellfish. Here is a link to it:
https://www.amazon.com/Allergy-Free-Cookbook-Kids-Recipes-Allergens/dp/1845433629/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319725764&sr=8-1

Macaroni cheese! I miss yooooouuuuu! :cry::haha:

I find Mr Kiplings jam tarts are pretty good, Hotel Chocolate do some nice dark chocolate but I think all have soya in though we seem ok with that thankfully. Kara is a good coconut dairy replacement drink, Tesco and Ocado do it, tastes a lot like 'real' milk! Hmm...crumpets are useful with Pure spread, oh and Tesco also do a chocolate spread in their free from section, it's new and endorsed by Anthony Worrall whatever his name is :D Soya in it again though.

I find my LO can't have soya but I can so that's quite nice :)

He also reacts to tomato and I find a lot of my meals are tomato based to compensate, it's hard work isn't it! x

I've been doing well with my dairy free diet, BUT on Tuesday night we were going to have sausages for tea and DH dropped them on the floor so I had half a pizza!!!
Low and behold a couple of days later LO had a few green poos and was more unsettled/windy.
I felt so bad but it just proved to me that what I'm doing is for a good reason and that I must persist!
DH still thinks I'm crazy but I don't care! I'm still hoping to see an improvement with LOs sickness, I am feeling confident that in time I will.

I really need to go shopping to pick up some things that I can make healthy but tasty meals with. If anyone has any suggestions on quick, simple lunch ideas I would love to hear them!
Also sweet snack suggestions that will satisfy my sweet tooth!
I'm also avoiding soya but as of yet im not sure off my LO is affected by it.

Heather

Hi everyone. I've only been dairy free for a couple of days and I have a little qiestion..
Can i eat things like scones, pancakes and yorkshire pudding? ie things that have milk in but have been cooked?
Probably a silly question I know!

I've cut out all dairy...so 'cooked' dairy and 'hidden' dairy (casein, whey etc on ingredients lists) When the consultant advises we reintroduce, he said we would probably start with hidden...cooked etc...working up to milk. That said, I can only tolerate cows milk or cream when I am pregnant, any other time, and I get the worst stomach ache...so I am permanently on rice milk previously, and now am full time converted to Oatley.

I recommend Oatley, it's yummy...and they do a cream (great for cooking with, and lovely over a warmed dairy free Devondale crumble slice) and Cattia on here introduced me to their amazing chocolate 'milk'. So, so, so good.

I am also giving a huuuuuuuuge recommendation...Lazy Days foods. They do utterly delicious stuff...chocolate tiffin, chocolate and orange tiffin, Choc and ginger tiffin, Choc and ginger biscuits, choc chip biscuits, millionaires shortbread...and it is absolutely delicious. Delicious. You can get their stuff in the 'Free From' aisles in Saisnburys and Waitrose. It's literally 'free from' everything you can imagine, and you'd never know. And I know my Choc!

Also massive recommendation for 'Freedom' non dairy, egg, soy ice cream...again, Waitrose and Tesco definitely stock it. Vanilla, strawberry and chocolate...and it tastes divine. Divine.

I've also been tucking into M&S salad pots, have found dairy free pesto...which is great for pasta dishes and stuffing chicken...

I am a big wary when eating out, as butter seems to be in everything...but as Ally gets older, I won't mind as much...

She's like a different baby...so calm and contented...reflux symptoms are still there, but nowhere near what they were...no baby acne at all...no egg poo...no explosions...

I miss my dairy chocolate...but hey, more green and blacks to explore...and Ally being content is wonderful.

I've cut out all dairy...so 'cooked' dairy and 'hidden' dairy (casein, whey etc on ingredients lists) When the consultant advises we reintroduce, he said we would probably start with hidden...cooked etc...working up to milk. That said, I can only tolerate cows milk or cream when I am pregnant, any other time, and I get the worst stomach ache...so I am permanently on rice milk previously, and now am full time converted to Oatley.

I recommend Oatley, it's yummy...and they do a cream (great for cooking with, and lovely over a warmed dairy free Devondale crumble slice) and Cattia on here introduced me to their amazing chocolate 'milk'. So, so, so good.

I am also giving a huuuuuuuuge recommendation...Lazy Days foods. They do utterly delicious stuff...chocolate tiffin, chocolate and orange tiffin, Choc and ginger tiffin, Choc and ginger biscuits, choc chip biscuits, millionaires shortbread...and it is absolutely delicious. Delicious. You can get their stuff in the 'Free From' aisles in Saisnburys and Waitrose. It's literally 'free from' everything you can imagine, and you'd never know. And I know my Choc!

Also massive recommendation for 'Freedom' non dairy, egg, soy ice cream...again, Waitrose and Tesco definitely stock it. Vanilla, strawberry and chocolate...and it tastes divine. Divine.

I've also been tucking into M&S salad pots, have found dairy free pesto...which is great for pasta dishes and stuffing chicken...

I am a big wary when eating out, as butter seems to be in everything...but as Ally gets older, I won't mind as much...

She's like a different baby...so calm and contented...reflux symptoms are still there, but nowhere near what they were...no baby acne at all...no egg poo...no explosions...

I miss my dairy chocolate...but hey, more green and blacks to explore...and Ally being content is wonderful.

Wow there's loads of dairy free options out there then. Dairy free pesto sounds great. Can't wait to go shopping now! :)

^^ I found it in Tesco, it's lovely! Loads of places are already stocking dairy free christmas treats...

Our consultant told us the same about reintroducing dairy.. I.e hidden first at 12 months and see how we go from there but I don't think I'll ever eat as much dairy again, it's definately made me realise just how much I was eating!

Does anyone know of a vegan cheese stocked by any of the supermarkets? I was told that Pure do a soft cheese but have so far been unable to find it and a little cheese in any form would be a nice treat!

Ditto!

My consultant wants us to start sooner...hmmm...I wonder why? I don't want to upset the apple cart, so to speak. I will also never eat as much dairy, from reading and talking to the consultant, I really don't think having lots is very good for us!

Ditto!

My consultant wants us to start sooner...hmmm...I wonder why? I don't want to upset the apple cart, so to speak. I will also never eat as much dairy, from reading and talking to the consultant, I really don't think having lots is very good for us!

I think ours maybe later due to LO's weight issues, she only gained a kilo in the first 3 months due to the intolerance so we're still playing catch up... She's only just managed to reach the 9th centile!

How soon have you been told to reintroduce it?

I might take a trip to Sainsburys today to see what I can find!
My DH is being a complete a**e to me about this. For starters, he works full time and doesn't have that much to do with LO anyway so he doesn't have to deal with his fussy times and wind, plus he's probably oblivious to the improvements in LO!
He has said to me that by me cutting out dairy I'm going to make LO ill and make him intolerant to milk when he's older! He just hasn't got a clue but is being really awful towards me about it!
If he does the food shopping he still buys things with cheese and milk in and just expects me to eat them, like the pizza, which I am positive upset LO!
Any tips on how to handle an unsupportive DH???
Heather

Is it worth asking him to read a few articles? It's been proven that avoiding dairy now can actually help our littlies avoid an allergy later on!

Seems very unfair, as it's hard enough to make a bug diet change with support...never mind without :(

^^Tell me about it! He just doesn't have a clue!
I'll try and get him to look at some articles but I doubt he will!
I'll just have to shop and cook for myself and ignore his nasty comments!
Heather

:hugs: we are here for support!

And google booja booja truffles, then order some...you deserve it.

My DH totally loves dairy free pesto, is it worth making a dairy free meal for him to try...and then slipping in a few of the facts about dairy free babies?

DH has been supportive all along thankfully, but my parents weren't until LO was on the point of being admitted to hospital, they initially thought that switching her to formula would be the big fix for everything.... I'm not suggesting you try it, but in desperation, I actually gave LO a bottle and the shock of seeing her throw up everywhere certainly brought it home to them just how serious things were!

As for your cutting out dairy causing an intolerance, tell him it's the other way around, my consultant very kindly made it clear to me that it was my eating a lot of dairy both during and after pregnancy that exposed and sensitised LO to it, had I have moderated my intake she may well have never got to the point of being intolerant!! :hugs:

The fact is a lot is still not known as to what causes intolerances and allergies; on Dr Sears site it was saying research shows that cutting out certain things pre-emptively or introducing them extremely late when baby is on solids could possibly increase the risk of allergy and intolerance; but if your baby is already sensitised to something then cutting it out for a while is in my purely anecdotal experience more likely to make them outgrow it sooner than a baby who is continually exposed to that substance and thus forever making more antibodies against it. My youngest son had a very severe sensitivity to dairy and soya, amongst other things, but he completely outgrew it by 5 months. Second eldest had severe allergies to eggs and dairy; consultant said it was one of the most severe he had come across and my son nearly died on one occasion after licking a spoon he grabbed from OH with a teeny smudge of yoghurt residue on :(, yet by avoiding dairy and eggs he grew out of both allergies completely by the age of two. My youngest BIL had a similar allergy though not as severe; but my in laws believing eggs and dairy to be good for him kept giving them on a daily basis to him, now he cannot have eggs at all, even in a cooked form and large amounts of dairy make him poorly as well. My second youngest had various food intolerance issues as a baby, and still has them as I never stopped giving him dairy and so on :( xx

Thank you for the words of support!
Can I just ask, if I still eat foods that say they contain traces of milk, is it still likely to make a noticable difference to LO?
Is it just trial and error to see if there's anything I can get away with? It's difficult isn't it!
Heather

It depends on the baby, my youngest if I even ate a sandwich that said 'may contain traces of milk' he would react to it, others are fine with 'hidden' dairy xx

This is all so interesting. I am convinced that my pregnancy craving for whole milk on my cereal...after never drinking milk at all...now could have something to do with the sensitivity?

Heather, my consultant advised doing a total cut out to start and working from there...we see him again towards the end of November, so I will update as to what he says.

Summer rain, could I ask when you started reintroducing dairy with your LOs? I don't want to inroduce to early/late iykwim?

Sure, well with my youngest I heard anecdotally a lot of babies outgrow this at around the 5-6 month mark, so had a cake with a tiny bit of cream on when he was roughly just turned 5 months; and nothing-he was fine. I then tried gradually more and more dairy and he was totally fine, so when he started solids at 6+ months I tried him with dairy bit by bit and he has been completely ok with all of it. With second eldest DS, I tried him with something with cooked dairy in at 1.5 years, and he was ok with that but due to how seriously he had reacted on previous occasions I didn't try him with normal dairy until 2, he was fine with it then but having not had it for so long he really didn't like it! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->