Dairy free moms

Heather I was dairy free throughout my pregnancy, and have been for 6 years as it makes me really ill if i have any and my LO despite never having had an exposure to dairy/products containing lactose during pregnancy or whilst being bf, nothing until when he started BLW at 6 months and he is absolutely fine with dairy (though we were cautious introducing it, incase he reacted like I do) so tell your OH he needs to read up on this and support you as it isn't easy being dairy free, and it is hidden is so many bizarre things! If I was to eat something that says 'may contain traces of milk' I'd be ok but if it was something that contained lactose I wouldn't (chicken gravy, some pre-packaged sandwich meats and some sorbets are strange things I have found milk products in!)

Tennisgal- dairy free pesto how do i make that? I used to love pesto.

Muddles, I found it in Tesco...free from aisle...it's made with basil, olive oil and cashews. I was a bit wary, as I love pesto...and I really like it! I guess it would be easy to make by whacking all those ingredients into a processor. It is really nice in sandwiches, too!!

And yes, why on earth is there dairy in walkers salt and vinegar crisps?!?!

You are kidding?! I bought a big, fat chorizo! I didn't even check the ingredients, I was so sure it would be ok!

I am joining you ladies! I have been dairy free for a month and started having one coffee with milk...we are back with green poos and spots so I am staying dairy free. I miss cheese! But the worst thing iscthat i started eating rubbish! I used to snack on yoghurts and cheese. Now it's crisps and sweets!

You are kidding?! I bought a big, fat chorizo! I didn't even check the ingredients, I was so sure it would be ok!

Yep, my aunt brought me a couple over from Spain and they're definately off limits, I ended up swapping with dad for some of his Sorento ham! :winkwink:

And welcome Satine!! :flower:

Heres a tip, in the UK at least Kosher regulation is very very stringent, and one thing orthodox Jews cannot do is eat meat containing milk products (even hidden ones), even in traces so all kosher meat products in the UK are guaranteed milk free; Gilberts is a great brand xx

Ladies, are you taking any calcium supplements? When I asked my GP about going dary free, he advsed not to as it is" unlikely to have an effect on bf baby and i will have to start taking calcium". Well, it must be the dairy in my case- i reintroduced a bit and she suddenly seems to have symptoms of silent reflux! I am going back to strict dairy free immediately! What about calcium though?

Ladies, are you taking any calcium supplements? When I asked my GP about going dary free, he advsed not to as it is" unlikely to have an effect on bf baby and i will have to start taking calcium". Well, it must be the dairy in my case- i reintroduced a bit and she suddenly seems to have symptoms of silent reflux! I am going back to strict dairy free immediately! What about calcium though?

Hopefully since they will grow out of this soon, a few months dairy free will be ok. If you are still taking your pre natals I wouldnt worry. You can add some calcium supplements if you are really concerned but a temporary decrease in calcium wont affect you, and LO will still get what s/he needs. If you have Tums or those chewable antacid tabs, they are usually all calcium and given as supplements you can take a couple of those daily.

I might take a trip to Sainsburys today to see what I can find!
My DH is being a complete a**e to me about this. For starters, he works full time and doesn't have that much to do with LO anyway so he doesn't have to deal with his fussy times and wind, plus he's probably oblivious to the improvements in LO!
He has said to me that by me cutting out dairy I'm going to make LO ill and make him intolerant to milk when he's older! He just hasn't got a clue but is being really awful towards me about it!
If he does the food shopping he still buys things with cheese and milk in and just expects me to eat them, like the pizza, which I am positive upset LO!
Any tips on how to handle an unsupportive DH???
Heather

I keep relating to people how many babies have problems with formula. Almost half the people you talk to say they had to try 2-3 different formulas before they found one that worked. Half of those end up on soy or an elemental formula. Most of these babies also have CMPA (although they are told lactose allergies). Once I mention this about formula and milk most people seem to understand. Most people dont speak "breastmilk" unfortunately.

I think my OH was a little doubtful but he was off the past couple days. I have been dairy free for about a month. We went out to eat and I ate a tiny bit of cream cheese before I even thought about it. LO was bothered the next 2-3 days. As you said, they dont spend as much time with them. He was holding LO a couple weeks ago when he started screaming from the belly pains and couldnt believe how upset he got. I never realized that he had not witnessed this, despite him having these every day! Hopefully once you stop the dairy your DH will see a difference. My LO is a different baby! He is more alert, happier, sleeps less, etc.

I still taking my prenatal/bf supplements, but even with those I'm still vit D deficient, I had no idea until LO's blood tests showed that she was so I've also been put on additional vit D and calcium and LO is on a high dose of multi bits as well!

Summer rain, Kosher hadn't even occurred to me, but it's brilliant, this thread is throwing up some great tips!

There is calcium in a lot of foods; not just dairy, the highest levels are in some dairy foods but if you eat a variety of stuff from this list

https://www.iofbonehealth.org/patie.../prevention/nutrition/calcium-rich-foods.html

its just as good. Also calcium on its own, particularly in supplement form isn't that well absorbed, its better from foods and very importantly you need to either get enough vitamin D3 from sunshine/your diet or if you're at all worried take a supplement yourself. D3 is the closest form to that found in the human body and its essential to calcium absorption; I have read that without adequate D3 the calcium has nowhere to go and thus can stick in your joints, causing pain and it can even coat inside blood vessels. At the end of the day if you don't get enough calcium your body will leach it from your bones to give to baby; so your baby will get enough but it does increase your future risk of osteoporosis xx

Muddles, I found it in Tesco...free from aisle...it's made with basil, olive oil and cashews. I was a bit wary, as I love pesto...and I really like it! I guess it would be easy to make by whacking all those ingredients into a processor. It is really nice in sandwiches, too!!

I can't find it on the website but I would love some of this! Can you tell me the make please? x

I can't find it on the website but I would love some of this! Can you tell me the make please? x

Pesto is easy to make too if you can't find it. I am sure you can find a recipe and leave out the cheese. You put roasted (or raw) garlic, basil, pine nuts in the food processor or blender; then drizzle in olive oil.

Bsbypowder, the jarred stuff is Meridian free from green pesto. They have it in store in our nearest Tesco, so could just be in store and not on web?

I craved Big Macs through my whole first tri. Somehow with all day morning sickness this was the only thing besides pretzels I could keep down! I had one today for the first time since I was pregnant. It wasnt too bad! I didnt miss the cheese and atleast I save a couple calories after wolfing down fries and a Big Mac!

I think I helped another mom & baby today! Well my mom did. A person she works with has a newborn that has been "colicy" all night scrunching up legs for about 6 hours a night. My mom told them that is what my LO was doing and said the mom needs to stop dairy and see if it helps. I printed an article of KellyMom and asked her to bring it to them. I hope it helps her! I wish I would have started sooner with my LO guy dairy free but everyone kept saying that it was "normal" baby behavior.

My LO gasiness and green poos stopped, but I think we have another problem, whuvh could be reflux. I am going to docs tomorrow to check her out. I just feel like it's one problem after another

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->