Dairy free moms

My LO gasiness and green poos stopped, but I think we have another problem, whuvh could be reflux. I am going to docs tomorrow to check her out. I just feel like it's one problem after another

How long have youn been off dairy? Reflux can be from a food allergy or sensitivity. It might just be residual effects from dairy in your system still.

Tesco's are stocking Cheesly for all of you missing cheese!! :happydance:

I was so excited to see it on the shelf that I let out a squeal in the shop!! :blush: I've stocked up as well just in case they don't have it next time! :haha:

And it's actually not too bad, I've just had a cheese sandwich and it tastes like a mild cheddar, don't know how it will melt but will definately be trying it in a toastie tonight!! :cloud9:

I was so excited to see it on the shelf that I let out a squeal in the shop!! :blush: I've stocked up as well just in case they don't have it next time! :haha:

And it's actually not too bad, I've just had a cheese sandwich and it tastes like a mild cheddar, don't know how it will melt but will definately be trying it in a toastie tonight!! :cloud9:

Cheezly is soya-protein based though xx

Hi girls, well today is my first day dairy free, and quite frankly I am depressed and very very hungry!

How long did it take for your dairy free diet to take an effect?

I am not even sure if my LO is suffering because of the dairy in my diet. She sleeps well (we get a 6-8 hour stretch at night so can't complain), she feeds well and is gaining weight well. Her only real issue is that she struggles to pass gas and poos. She rarely cries with pain but will grunt and groan for ages and then still not pass anything, where as in her first couple of weeks she would pass poos and wind easily.

Her poos have become mucousy over the last week or so, but still yellow.

What do you ladies think?

I am off to the supermarket in a bit to stock up on dairy free goodies as a Friday night without chocolate is just too much to bare :haha:

Cheezly is soya-protein based though xx

Sorry, didn't think to post that! :blush:

My LO doesn't seem to react to soya in my diet despite not tolerating soya formula so fingers crossed it won't have an affect for her!

Shiv, my LO improved within a few days but it was a few weeks before we saw the full benefit!

Shiv that is how my LO start too. It was all gas and hard time passing it with loud farts! Then the green mucousy stools started too. He would have never slept more than 4 hours though! They all react differently. It doesn't hurt to try and see if you notice improvement. your LO might be able to tolerate small amounts of dairy so symptoms arent as strong.

Careful with your dairy free substitutes b/c alot of them contain soy and about 60% of
babies With CMPI react to soy also! Good luck!

Shiv, we noticed an improvement almost immediately...:hug:

I recommend Divine dark chocolate with freeze dried raspberries, it is amazing.

Well, ladies, we go back to see the consultant in a week...wondering if/when he will advise me to slowly reintroduce. Am currently cooking three different dinners a night, but if it keeps Ally happy, it's worth it!

So dairy free is going well for us, lots of improvement with dd. My friend called over today with dairy-free cakes she'd baked for me- a chocolate courgette cake that was also sugar free- amazing!! :)

So dairy free is going well for us, lots of improvement with dd. My friend called over today with dairy-free cakes she'd baked for me- a chocolate courgette cake that was also sugar free- amazing!! :)

What an awesome friend! Glad to hear LO is feeling better too :happydance:

Did any of your LO's get worse before they got better.

Day 4 of dairy free and Cora is worse than ever (only today though, she was same as before on days 1-3)

Shiv, found the below on kellymom:

Baby’s symptoms will usually begin to improve within 5-7 days of eliminating a problem food. Your baby may not improve immediately, however, especially if the reaction is to a food that has been a regular part of mom's diet. Some babies seem to feel worse for about a week before symptoms begin to improve. Sometimes it takes several weeks to see an improvement.

May just be a little dip, I doubt it will take several weeks to see an improvement...but sounds like it can be totally normal for things to go a bit haywire before getting better :hugs/

i'm a vegetarian and we found that our LO needs me to be soy, dairy and gluten free.

we have tested them all time and time again and she goes straight to mucousy stools, crying in pain, fussy, hyperactive and overtired. it's just awful.

i eat almond milk, soy/dairy free margarines, daiya cheese which is soy/dairy free. i eat millet breads. it hasn't affected my diet because of all of the substitutes out there. i just have to eat in and say "no" to most things when i'm out but i love it, i feel it helps keep me in shape.

the real problem is getting LO all of the vitamins she needs when she has so many restrictions

i'm a vegetarian and we found that our LO needs me to be soy, dairy and gluten free.

we have tested them all time and time again and she goes straight to mucousy stools, crying in pain, fussy, hyperactive and overtired. it's just awful.

i eat almond milk, soy/dairy free margarines, daiya cheese which is soy/dairy free. i eat millet breads. it hasn't affected my diet because of all of the substitutes out there. i just have to eat in and say "no" to most things when i'm out but i love it, i feel it helps keep me in shape.

the real problem is getting LO all of the vitamins she needs when she has so many restrictions
Just make sure you are taking your prenatals, for both of you! You have got a really restricted diet now!

I'm a little concerned my 6 week old has a dairy intolerance. Last Monday her poos turned green and there is sticky mucousy strings when you fold the nappy up and unfold it again. She has spots on her face which she has had since birth, but last week they started to spread to her neck and she now has a few spots on her chest and arms. She is quite gassy and strains a lot before pooing. However, she is a happy baby and doesn't seem in any distress. I took her to the doctors who said the rash was normal and just down to her skin being exposed to different bacteria and the green poos were because she was taking so much goodness from my milk that all is left is a bile stained liquid. But I just feel something is not right. Does this sound like an intolerance to you guys?
ETA her weight gain is very good, I don't know if this affects anything.

misspink those are pretty common CMPI symptoms from what I have gone through and what others have said. Skip the dairy for a bit and see if you notice a difference. It sounds like most of us noticed within a few days a change and more significant improvements over a couple weeks.

I gave up dairy 2 weeks ago because LO was covered in what I initially thought was baby acne. She also strains and grunts a lot when passing wind or pooing and two or three times a day her poo is green. Almost immediately her skin started to improve and now its almost back to normal. She still has problems with wind and green poos though. I think the wind could be down to other things I'm eating. I think broccoli and beans seem to be the worst culprits. I'm going to wait another few days then try eating some dairy again to see if the symptoms come back. I'm really struggling with this dairy free diet as I used to eat cheese every day. I live in Italy so its really hard to avoid!

Misspink did you try the dairy free?

Misshedgehog it is so hard! I never realized how much dairy I ate and how much stuff it is in! It is in everything it seems, or everything I want to eat! It sounds like some babies are able to tolerate a bit of dairy. If you do try a little, I would do a small amount. I drank about 4 oz of milk a month or so ago and it seemed like it was 3-4 days before LO was straightened out. I would bet the green beans and broccoli dont matter and you may have more dairy those days!

yes i've gone dairy free. Still got the green poos though, and the rash is fading but the health visitor told me it would after about this length of time anyway. She also said the baby's tummy usually feels harder and they're usually in some discomfort if they have an intolerance. She said the straining to poo is normal too. So I'm continuing to be dairy free for a few days just to see but I don't think she has a problem to be honest.

Just a quick newsflash for UK mums; tesco have taken soya out of some of their main range of breads, such as the bog-standard wholemeal sliced, that were already dairy free, taking a leaf out of waitrose's book methinks :D xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->