death penalty ?

smelly07

Mummy of 2 girls & wifey
Reaction score
I am SO against the death penalty i would like to see it abolished altogether.

what are your views and opinions?

I'm also against it :) I don't believe ANYONE has the right to take another person's life, criminal or not.

I don't believe the death penalty is a suitable form of punishment. I see it as an "easy way out" for serious criminals who I'm sure would rather not spend their life in a prison cell. In my opinion, it should be abolsihed and criminals should be made to serve their time. More so due to the fact that sometimes, an innocent person is killed.

I think it should be abolished however, when you see (example) reports of a man who has raped and murdered a young child or woman then they should NOT be let off. Things like that sicken me! However death is not the answer. Let the sick arseholes rot in a cell for the rest of their lives instead, make them suffer rather than be free'd from a world that hates them anyway.

To be honest i used to be for it when i was a teenager, I must admit i didnt and still dont know much about it, but from my limitied perscpective it seemed it was only used on the worse of the worse crime, serial killers etc. So not your typical murder etc. It seemed like the cheaper option. But I have since learnt it costs far more for a death row prinsinor then a "normal" prisinor, plus they are kept on death row for liek 30 years or something stupid.

Now Im not sure what i think, prison doesnt seem a hige deteriant for some people, but those type of repeat offenders wouldnt be affected by it anyway, serial killers are a whole dfferent ball game anyway, i mean no one who does that can be normal anyway surely?

I dont really beleive in the whole eye for an eye thing anymore, i guess if i had to vote i would say no to the death penelty, but i do thing more needs done to stop being doing awrful things. what? I have no idea.

I am 1000% against the death penalty. The way I see it is, doing this you are also committing murder. Which is wrong any way you think about it. There isn't a rule saying "oh its ok if, or when." No, murder is wrong any way you put it. And in no way is ever justified.

Just to be a pain .. i am FOR the death penalty, in theory! in a perfect world where we knew everyone was guilty etc.. as it stands i would like to have one, but appreciate why people disagree.

I am 1000% against the death penalty. The way I see it is, doing this you are also committing murder. Which is wrong any way you think about it. There isn't a rule saying "oh its ok if, or when." No, murder is wrong any way you put it. And in no way is ever justified.

exactly i completely agree :thumbup:

Just to be a pain .. i am FOR the death penalty, in theory! in a perfect world where we knew everyone was guilty etc.. as it stands i would like to have one, but appreciate why people disagree.

I'm inclined to agree.

However, with the possibility of innocent people being convicted, plus the fact that keeping people on death row and actually putting them to death costs almost the same as life imprisonment and that the majority of the money spend on keeping people in prison isn't spent on those who would be sentenced to death anyway, I don't agree with the death penalty as things stands.

What I would like to see would be people having a much harder time in prison, with less 'luxuries', less money spent on, IMO, unecessary things etc. However, that would be against their human rights, of course... :wacko:

I think criminals (those who have been proven guilty of taking a life of another) should decide if they want death penalty or not. As a judge, I would never take a life from another who want to live but they probably do not want to live their life in prison.

there were a few people who was found guilty and evidences showed up proving they were not guilty at all, But the prison life have already traumatized them.

hehe, just to be annoying, in a perfect world ... we would have no need lol. Sorry couldnt resist.

But I do agree, as i said in my post, i kind of sit on the fence about it now, but im not strongly against it.

I can't even get my head around the fact that taking another's life could be legal in any form, so no, I don't agree with it, to take another persons life is murder ..... legal or not

i don't think i could be anymore against capital punishment if i tried, in fact, it was something i studied at university.

the bottom line is, the death penalty doesn't work. it is not a deterrent and people still commit in areas where it is reintroduced crime rates - murder's actually in case. though of course we cannot get accurate capital punishment statistics in all countries, like China.

for me, 'an for an eye' is just so wrong; it's like society is saying, don't murder, but if we do, we'll do the same back! when is killing someone ever right?

also, the miscarriages of justice in England where huge when we had capital punishment. in fact, the last woman to be hung in England would possibly not of been hung in say france, when they have 'crimes of passion'. i believe as well (it's been a while since i studied) but she had not long given birth when she found her partner having an affair and shot them, of course no one could deny this is wrong, but there are certain issues surrounding mental stability after birth, and so today, she possibly wouldn't of got the same punishment she received back then.

i personally find capital punishment an easy way out, why shouldn't someone else spend the rest of their lives incarcerated, hopefully suffering, as opposed to what i see as their suffering coming to an end quite quickly - although of course, length of time on death row differ's in countries with the death penalty.

I'm inclined to agree.

However, with the possibility of innocent people being convicted, plus the fact that keeping people on death row and actually putting them to death costs almost the same as life imprisonment and that the majority of the money spend on keeping people in prison isn't spent on those who would be sentenced to death anyway, I don't agree with the death penalty as things stands.

What I would like to see would be people having a much harder time in prison, with less 'luxuries', less money spent on, IMO, unecessary things etc. However, that would be against their human rights, of course... :wacko:

totally agree! it could also be argued that when you commit a crime you give up some/all of your human rights, like having a tv! just as, according to John Locke (i believe) when you enter into society you give up your rights, to the state, to say, protect your land/person, in modern society it obviously becomes the polices/cps/court etc responsibility to carry out 'justice'

they certainly did take human rights from another, but I wouldn't go too far.. stone age dungeons was creepy enough for me even for a killer!

I honestly don't really care about making them think of their consequences because they rarely do. I just think he should pay the debt to the society for what he done (and keeping society safe too!)

Just to add to my earlier post, and to agree with a couple of others, I think prison life should be made unbearable. No luxuries for good behaviour, no tv/games rooms etc. Prisoners should be given a small room with only a bed and a toilet and they should serve their time as prisoners, not as people who live better lives than some non-criminals. I think that is the only deterrent. There are criminals who commit crimes when they are let out of prison just so they can go back in because it's better than the real world to them. Pretty much says it all. Prisons should be a place that people never want to go back to

Personally i would like to see some of them tortured :blush:

V xxx

Just to add to my earlier post, and to agree with a couple of others, I think prison life should be made unbearable. No luxuries for good behaviour, no tv/games rooms etc. Prisoners should be given a small room with only a bed and a toilet and they should serve their time as prisoners, not as people who live better lives than some non-criminals. I think that is the only deterrent. There are criminals who commit crimes when they are let out of prison just so they can go back in because it's better than the real world to them. Pretty much says it all. Prisons should be a place that people never want to go back to

And sometimes it will make it worst. If they were rapist or something, they usually let their victims live, but they fear prison life, they may start killing to cover their tracks.

Same V. Not necessarily physically. Like Ian Huntley. How many times has he been threatened/attacked by fellow inmates? To give him the death penalty (if it was legal here) would be pointless. He has to spend every minute of every day, scared for his own life, wondering when the next time he'll be attacked will be. I think that is a suitable punishment for what he did. Scumbag.

Personally i would like to see some of them tortured :blush:

V xxx

i think from a personal perspective hon that many people would perhaps feel the same way if i was the victims family.

i actually said to james the other night at the knox trail, if that was me, i'd wait till she got off and then i'd shot her myself if she murdered my daughter :blush: obviously then i'd let them take me into custody.

OBVIOUSLY this isn't my true opinion for society as a whole, i believe for us as a whole we are better without capital punishment, but i'm sure my feeling's would change if it was one of my babies they'd hurt!

hopefully that actually makes sense :blush::blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"