death penalty ?

My dad always said that he knew when a storm was coming because all the bums got themselves arrested, lol.

but people who want to go back to prison for a better life will probably not go around killing and raping people. It'll be more for petty crimes like theft, not violent crimes I'd of imagined.

I don't think people who murder and rape others (apart from MAYBE in gang related incidents) can be rehabilitated in prison. I think you have to be wired in a certain way to be able to kill someone in cold blood :(

The problem for me is even if they are sentenced to death it could take 20 years before they are actually executed :shrug: I don't know if it is like that in the UK? I think people should spend the rest of their lived in solitary confinement especially murderers and child abusers. Being let out only 1 hour a day for the rest of your life is a way better punishment than death, after living like that they probably pray to be executed. :flower:

I think if it is proven without any reasonable doubt whatsoever, that someone has harmed an infant/toddler/child/adolescent as in rape, sexual assault, severe abuse/neglect or torture/murder then I am 10000000000% for the death penalty. Thing is, we can't always be certain and people are wrongly convicted, and in those situations (which can't be predicted) I feel it is wrong. It's a tough one... for me anyways. I would gladly rid the world of a child killer.. even if it meant condemning myself in the process.

The problem for me is even if they are sentenced to death it could take 20 years before they are actually executed :shrug: I don't know if it is like that in the UK? I think people should spend the rest of their lived in solitary confinement especially murderers and child abusers. Being let out only 1 hour a day for the rest of your life is a way better punishment than death, after living like that they probably pray to be executed. :flower:

We havent had the death penalty in the UK for a good few decades hun :)

but people who want to go back to prison for a better life will probably not go around killing and raping people. It'll be more for petty crimes like theft, not violent crimes I'd of imagined.

I don't think people who murder and rape others (apart from MAYBE in gang related incidents) can be rehabilitated in prison. I think you have to be wired in a certain way to be able to kill someone in cold blood :(

I think that is probably true in most cases, I would reckon most cold-blooded murderers (i.e. not crimes of passion or gang incidents) must be socio/psychopaths and there's nothing you can really do about them (as far as I know) except keep them away from society either in prison or an institution.

I had to work in a prison for a while, for a rotation for school. Seeing the 'behind the scenes' and how they live in prison, I have to say I am for the death penalty. Life in prison can be so much better for some people that on the streets. They have a lot of luxuries and 'extra's' that some people who try as hard as they can and are homeless cannot have. For example, I went to school to be a dental hygienist, and we cleaned the inmates teeth. They would get all of their care for free, even though they don't give a shit about their teeth. Some would even get dentures, all on us as taxpayers money. Do I feel that a murderer should be able to get dentures and enjoy a meal, rather than having no teeth and having a hard time chewing their food? Um, no. These people get money to buy treats, etc, and I don't feel like serial killers or someone who murders babies should get these luxuries. If they were to go away with the luxuries in prison, and actually have it be a life of hell for these offenders, it may be different. But until that is changed, I am for the death penalty.

Against the death penalty for all the reasons already outlined in this thread.

Also I don't think prisons need to be made harsher. A harsh environment does not turn a person away from crime - they need to be rehabilated. The prisons here would be considered luxury by some (I visited one open prison, there are no walls at all, the prisons have the keys to their own rooms, plenty of recreation possibilities and private cabins for weekend family visits) however the recidivism (return to prison) rate is extremely low here. Of course the reasons are far more complex than just the prison system but it does have a huge effect. Prisoners are encouraged to study (can even leave on day pass to go to university) or continue in their work (again leave on day pass to go to work), or they work within the prisons (for minimal pay) and are helped upon release as well to find work, accomodation etc so they don't go back to their previous criminal life.

The problem is, some people just can't be fixed. After working in a prison, you wouldn't believe the number of people who get 'rehabilitated', get released, and re-offend and are back behind bars. And this happens more than once with some people. Some can be rehabilitated, I'm not disagreeing with that, but to make prison solely for rehab simply won't work. There are some people that just can't, or don't want to be, changed. And the problem with this is that these people can be very deceiving, and seem as if they have changed, but as soon as they get out are back to their old selves.

My thoughts on this have actually changed over time. Now, I am anti-death penalty. One of the big events that shaped this was the execution of Timothy McVeigh, the man responsible for the Oklahoma City Bombing in 1995. There was a debate at the time about whether or not his execution should be broadcast to the public. I remember seeing some of the demonstrations as a kid, and I couldn't help but feel frightened at how almost bloodthirsty they seemed. In theory, I've always thought that the death penalty was meant to be used as a last result, when all punishments just didn't seem to be enough. The punishment shouldn't be used to satisfy someone's lust for revenge. That benefits no one, emotionally or financially.

I'll just give a list of my other problems with the death penalty, to save some time.

1) It often costs states far more to put someone to death than to house them for life. This is because of legal maneuverings within the Appeals process.
2) Often, there is a class/racial difference in who successfully gets sentenced with the death penalty. People who have more money can afford better legal counsel. Those who cannot afford legal counsel on their own are forced to use the attorney provided to them by the state. These attorneys are often overburdened with work and cannot devote a large portion of their time to any one defendant. This automatically tilts the scales against their favor in both verdicts and sentencing.
3) I've always felt that it's better to let a guilty person go free than to sentence an innocent person to death.
4) I feel like the death penalty also punishes the wrong people, the family members of those who are left to mourn the passing of the defendant.

Against the death penalty for all the reasons already outlined in this thread.

Also I don't think prisons need to be made harsher. A harsh environment does not turn a person away from crime - they need to be rehabilated. The prisons here would be considered luxury by some (I visited one open prison, there are no walls at all, the prisons have the keys to their own rooms, plenty of recreation possibilities and private cabins for weekend family visits) however the recidivism (return to prison) rate is extremely low here. Of course the reasons are far more complex than just the prison system but it does have a huge effect. Prisoners are encouraged to study (can even leave on day pass to go to university) or continue in their work (again leave on day pass to go to work), or they work within the prisons (for minimal pay) and are helped upon release as well to find work, accomodation etc so they don't go back to their previous criminal life.

The problem is, some people just can't be fixed. After working in a prison, you wouldn't believe the number of people who get 'rehabilitated', get released, and re-offend and are back behind bars. And this happens more than once with some people. Some can be rehabilitated, I'm not disagreeing with that, but to make prison solely for rehab simply won't work. There are some people that just can't, or don't want to be, changed. And the problem with this is that these people can be very deceiving, and seem as if they have changed, but as soon as they get out are back to their old selves.

Yes some people can't be rehabilitated, I already said that. However most first time offenders can be, and so rehabilitation should be the main focus of the criminal justice system.

I just don't agree, sorry. We will have to agree to disagree! :) As I said some people I believe can, but I don't think that should be the main focus.

Well in my opinion the facts speak for themselves - in the 60s we had one of the highest prison rates in Europe, the whole system then got restructured and now we have one of the lowest - I think thats pretty clear evidence that focussing on rehablitiation does work.

When you see repeat offenders, its easy to say that they will never change and see the person's nature as the cause. But when the system itself sets them up to fail and encourages criminal behavior, that can be a real underlying cause in a large % of cases.

Its hard to get a job as an ex-con, that alone makes it tempting to return to a life of crime for some people. If they came out with extra skills and job training etc, they have a better chance at actually supporting themselves and not re-offending.

Well in my opinion the facts speak for themselves - in the 60s we had one of the highest prison rates in Europe, the whole system then got restructured and now we have one of the lowest - I think thats pretty clear evidence that focussing on rehablitiation does work.

Well let me explain a bit further I guess. For the people who would be on death row and getting the death penalty, I don't feel that rehabilitation will work. They have committed a crime that is far past rehabilitation. For smaller crimes, such as theft, etc, yes possibly. The prison I was working in offered counseling, drug and alcohol counseling for addicts, church, school, etc. My ex-boyfriend went to prison for too many DUI's, and is an alcoholic. He was in prison for 6 months, and after going through rehab in prison and after, he has gone to school to be a drug and alcohol counselor. So yes, in cases like these I believe rehabilitation works. But in cases in which the death penalty would be used, no I don't feel rehabiliation will work.

When you see repeat offenders, its easy to say that they will never change and see the person's nature as the cause. But when the system itself sets them up to fail and encourages criminal behavior, that can be a real underlying cause in a large % of cases.

Its hard to get a job as an ex-con, that alone makes it tempting to return to a life of crime for some people. If they came out with extra skills and job training etc, they have a better chance at actually supporting themselves and not re-offending.

I agree that the system stinks in helping offenders get back into normal life. In some cases, however, I can see how places would not want a person who went to prison for theft to work for them, etc. It's a sticky situation really.

Well let me explain a bit further I guess. For the people who would be on death row and getting the death penalty, I don't feel that rehabilitation will work. They have committed a crime that is far past rehabilitation. For smaller crimes, such as theft, etc, yes possibly. The prison I was working in offered counseling, drug and alcohol counseling for addicts, church, school, etc. My ex-boyfriend went to prison for too many DUI's, and is an alcoholic. He was in prison for 6 months, and after going through rehab in prison and after, he has gone to school to be a drug and alcohol counselor. So yes, in cases like these I believe rehabilitation works. But in cases in which the death penalty would be used, no I don't feel rehabiliation will work.

I wholeheartedly agree that it is very unlikely that people on death row would be able to be rehabilitated but my point was that for first time offenders the focus should be rehabilitation - I doubt many people on death row are first time offenders. If they were dealt with the first time they offended they may never end up on death row anyway.

For me a child molester can NEVER be rehabilitated . A murderer took someone's life a mother a father a sister a brother a child. If it was someone in my family he killed NO i would not want him to be rehabilitated , i would want jail for life for him to suffer the way he has made the persons family suffer. If we are talking about committing a robbery while high on drugs or making a mistake in our youth then maybe yea I would think rehabilitation would apply but not for a person who took another persons life . People that kill, hurt children can never be rehabilitated in my opinion and if you think they can that is fine let them move next to you(In general meaning YOU not directed at anyone) when they are "Rehabilitated"..
JMO :flower:

I am definitely for the death penalty for certain crimes.
Also, prison is not strict enough!
In japan, i think they've got the right idea.
The prisoners spend all their time assembling electronics for 10+ hours a day.
People in prisons should be put to work doing all the menial jobs other people don't want to do!

I think the focus should be on juvenile offenders. You are more likely to rehabilitate an offender at a young age as opposed to someone who has already been relying on crime as a way of life.

I agree that the system stinks in helping offenders get back into normal life. In some cases, however, I can see how places would not want a person who went to prison for theft to work for them, etc. It's a sticky situation really.

Funny story... a place I worked for apparently gave a former bank robber a 2nd chance. What I didn't agree with is that they made him manager... he embezzled/stole $14k through faking data for the ATM machine. And around the time they were figuring this out and looking into it, he made the local news for robbing 2 banks :dohh:
There are some people who will never be rehabilitated no matter what chances they get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->