death penalty ?

I am completely against the death penalty, but I do wholeheartedly believe prison is not harsh enough for severe and serial offenders.

In 2002 my 16 year old brother and his friend were brutally murdered by a man who was on bail for a sexual attack on a 14 year old girl. Against the death penalty, but life should mean life! in 10 years my brothers killer could be released. During the trial an expert said that he enjoyed what he'd done and in his opinion would do it again! I think he should never be released, but im glad we don't have the death penalty as i think he should spend the rest of his life remembering what he's there for.

In 2002 my 16 year old brother and his friend were brutally murdered by a man who was on bail for a sexual attack on a 14 year old girl. Against the death penalty, but life should mean life! in 10 years my brothers killer could be released. During the trial an expert said that he enjoyed what he'd done and in his opinion would do it again! I think he should never be released, but im glad we don't have the death penalty as i think he should spend the rest of his life remembering what he's there for.

God, that's awful :hugs: I agree, life should mean life!

i think we need to toughen up on our current sentences before we consider things like the death penalty.
if someone is sent to prison for life it should be until the day that they die in their cell! none of this 30 year crap. that's not life!!

Call me crazy but I really think they should all be put on a island with no way to get to the public and have a go at killing each other. The only time that I have ever agreed with the DP is when I have seen people go after kids and babies. When they rapped and killed such sweet and loving little souls. It makes me so sick that I prob sit and watch the bast@rd die. I have been raped at 9 years old and as a adult. I had a family member molest my 3 daughters, people that would that to babies NEVER deserve the right to live and really they wont care if they spend life in jail. They sit there and fantasize about what they have done and what they would do if given the chance. My brother in law worked in a prison and heard these sickos talking/bragging about it all day while at work.

The only way I can think of this is if anyone killed my child...
I 100% would want them dead. Not in prison. Just dead.

I agree serial murderers/serial rapists/peodaphiles cant be rehabilitated and LIFE SHOULD ME LIFE in these case.....still against the death penalty full stop.......I dont agree that all murderers/rapists should not being given a chance to be rehabilitated. what about fights got wrong/incidences where death was not intended/crimes of passion/what about cried rape situations etc etc.......what about the innocent people (like someone else mentioned) people who cant afford the expensive lawyers.........this does happen.
its more likely for drug dealers/burglars and people who are only in prisons for short amount of times to reoffend....someone who has done up to 25 years for life for fights gone wrong/crimes of passion/accidental death scenarios or done years for a druken rape..... it is pretty unlikely they will go out and do the same thing again.

I am NO way saying that any of these are right (apart from the innocents of course) but they should get a chance for rehabilitation.
i also do not think prisons are like a holiday camp at all..... knowing what i know about prisons i wouldnt want to be in one......would you?

what if someone started a fight with you on a night out you got in a scrap ...hit the person on the head ...just in that wrong place and they died......you would be a murderer..... should you get life meaning life??? you killed someones daughter/mother.....you didnt mean to you wouldnt do it again......but you still did.....whats your thoughts???

There's a huge difference between the intent to kill and accidently taking someones life.
Roy whiting for instance, abducted Sara payne and murdered her. He was on the sex offenders register... Obviously been imprisoned and had some sort of rehabilitation. IMO he should die. I'm sorry if that offends, but he may as well be dead. You can not rehab these sort of people. If I was her mum I would want him dead and honestly think I could do it myself.
If yoir baby was taken from you by some evil paedophile, he was then caught put through the justice system and you had to hear every detail of what was done to your innocent child I'd defy any mum to not want to do the same. Unfortunatly I don't think prison works, the majority of the time there's no punishment other than not having your freedom. I don't think that's punishment. Having 3 hot meals a day , a roof over your head, no full time job to go to every day, games available and visits from friends and family everyweek??? That's not punishment! Also the feat of them being let out for good behavior, released and doing the same again, coming to find the family of the victims . You'll always be living in fear. I imagine jamie bulgers parents must be in one of the biggest nightmares possible.
Saying that , it's very hard to differinciate between intent and accident, there will always be that fine line.

Not having your freedom is a huge punishment actually. One prisoner from a prison (a very "luxurious" open prison) I visited had said that even the worst day he had on the outside was better than his best day in prison. To not have your freedom should be the only punishment of prison.

Not having your freedom is a huge punishment actually. One prisoner from a prison (a very "luxurious" open prison) I visited had said that even the worst day he had on the outside was better than his best day in prison. To not have your freedom should be the only punishment of prison.

A big enough punishment for abducting/raping/ killing your baby girl?? Sorry to put it that way but it does make it personal. Anybody in the world killed one of my 2 boys I would have to kill them. I honesly would pay a huge amount of money to have them killed. The next best thing would be the death penalty.
In your opinion woul 30 yrs or less in jail equal justice for you?
Maybe I would think different looking at It not involving my babies but that's all I can think of!!

i agree with natsku........where cases that you describe tina3747 then life should mean life. Also their are different catergory prisons. serial killers etc are always put in A cat prisons..high risk.....locked up for 23 hours a day some dont get out after 25 years some are locked up indefinitely......do u think they should just be killed? not only do i think thats wrong, i think thats an easy way out.

A big enough punishment for abducting/raping/ killing your baby girl?? Sorry to put it that way but it does make it personal. Anybody in the world killed one of my 2 boys I would have to kill them. I honesly would pay a huge amount of money to have them killed. The next best thing would be the death penalty.
In your opinion woul 30 yrs or less in jail equal justice for you?
Maybe I would think different looking at It not involving my babies but that's all I can think of!!

We would all want really harsh punishments if someone we love was the victim but that is why victims do not get to decide the punishment - thats not how we do it in a civilised society, otherwise it would all be an eye for an eye etc. If someone killed my baby I would want to kill them as well, thats only natural, but that doesn't mean its right.

And with the whole life meaning life thing, in some cases even the prisoners would prefer to stay in prison as after 25/30 years inside there's not much left for them outside. There was a case here a few years back, a murderer was transferred to an open prison for good behaviour, he was just a few months away from being released and he escaped, because he knew that when he got caught (and he would get caught) he would be sent straight back to high security prison for another sentence and he wouldn't have to face the real world and the wrath of the victims' families.

tina3747............what if your son grew up and killed someone.....would you want to see you son put to death? do you think thats right??? legally someone can kill another person if they feel they have a valid reason for it? but have they not themselves just committed a murder iykwim i will never understand the death penalty... i 100% dont agree with it.

tina3747............what if your son grew up and killed someone.....would you want to see you son put to death? do you think thats right??? legally someone can kill another person if they feel they have a valid reason for it? but have they not themselves just committed a murder iykwim i will never understand the death penalty... i 100% dont agree with it.

Good point smelly!!
Like I said I could only look at it from that point of view, and the difference between the intent ect.. Even still with those points I would want that person dead.
Natsku , I know what your saying is right but there are people who are plain evil . Can never be rehab'd or can ever admit remorse. I can't see any reason for them being alive. Just my opinion .

Then again I want to body slam the 12 yr old boy with a large hammer who called my son a dwarf yesterday so I'm probably not the best person to ask about these situations!!

living in prison is not just a loss of freedom. You are locked up with other prisoners, many violent. Rape happens in jail and there are gangs and violence all the time. Most people live in fear for their lives in jail, knowing if they sit in the wrong seat or look at someone the wrong way they will get beaten up or worse.

People who harm children or serial rapists are often killed or beaten so badly in prison that they usually get locked up in solitary... that is a horrible horrible punishment (not undeserved in those cases though). Imagine the isolation, not just for a day, but for YEARS on end.

living in prison is not just a loss of freedom. You are locked up with other prisoners, many violent. Rape happens in jail and there are gangs and violence all the time. Most people live in fear for their lives in jail, knowing if they sit in the wrong seat or look at someone the wrong way they will get beaten up or worse.

People who harm children or serial rapists are often killed or beaten so badly in prison that they usually get locked up in solitary... that is a horrible horrible punishment (not undeserved in those cases though). Imagine the isolation, not just for a day, but for YEARS on end.

That would probably be my only comfort knowing these things were happening. .. I still think prison is not good enough punishment for a child killer.

That would probably be my only comfort knowing these things were happening. .. I still think prison is not good enough punishment for a child killer.

You realise though that these things happen to innocent people that get arrested, and first time offenders? What if it were your sons in there? Sometimes we only thing on one side of the matter, of course we would never think that our own children could end up in prison but it happens :( My brother was in prison because he got caught up in the wrong crowd at the wrong time :(

I might be in the minority but I could never take comfort in the pain or suffering of anyone, someone else suffering could never take away my own, are we then any better then the criminals that inflict pain for fun or because they wanted revenge? if the death penalty was a deterrent then why are crime levels still so high in the US? also, in countries where an eye for an eye is practiced children often get killed because someones father gets killed then the other side has to kill that persons father, then the sons get involved and it continues for generations, I guess for me you can't justify murder, there is something inherently wrong with society when we feel abuse, torture and murder is ever acceptable.

I wouldn't say I was against the death penalty, it would certainly free up space in overcrowded prisons....

But I feel that prisons & the entire justice system should be tougher. Life should mean life, not 20 years but out in 10 for good behaviour.

I also don't think the state should fund "secret identities" for the criminals either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->