death penalty ?

I might be in the minority but I could never take comfort in the pain or suffering of anyone, someone else suffering could never take away my own, are we then any better then the criminals that inflict pain for fun or because they wanted revenge? if the death penalty was a deterrent then why are crime levels still so high in the US? also, in countries where an eye for an eye is practiced children often get killed because someones father gets killed then the other side has to kill that persons father, then the sons get involved and it continues for generations, I guess for me you can't justify murder, there is something inherently wrong with society when we feel abuse, torture and murder is ever acceptable.

The death penalty has been shown not to be a deterrant. There are several states that have suspended the use of the death penalty at the moment for investigation into the lethal cocktail used. I did a huge report on it when I was studying for my bachelor degree in Criminology. Frankly, I still stand by my original point. I'm for the death penalty because it takes that horrible person from the world.

Going off on a tangent... How did you (against the death penalty) feel about bin ladens killing and the affect on the people of The US , new York in particular? People were rejoicing in the streets and IMO rightly so. Do you think the death penalty should apply to someone who has orchastrated the death of thousands of innocents not face it or just 30 yrs in prison?
I know morally your right natsku and others arguing your point. Violence doesn't solve violence and if I looked at it in another manor than where children are involved I could probably think different.

They hanged all those convicted of heinous war crimes during WWII, except for a few lesser criminals who got lengthy sentences. I think that if you organize the killing of others, it should be treated the same as actually having killed the person. Look at Charles Manson. He didn't kill the people, but was convicted of murder just the same (he was sentenced to death before California changed the law briefly to review the death penalty and all capital punishment convictions were changed to life in prison).

I think it's good that Osama is dead. He orchestrated the killings of hundreds of innocent people for his own personal vendetta. That is just wrong.

I don't think they should have killed him, that just made him a martyr which is what he would have wanted. Life (actual life) in prison would have been better.

The death penalty is supposed to be punishment and not a revenge killing in and of itself. Acting on revenge is a very basic human instinct, and I just feel like we should be above that. I think rejoicing over anyone's death sends a very mixed message to the youth of the nation.
"Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles." Proverbs 24:17

I believe they didn't have the choice to take bin Laden alive. They didn't know if he was rigged with suicide bomb equipment etc.

There was also the concern that his followers would have taken hostages to try and negotiate his release.

I believe they didn't have the choice to take bin Laden alive. They didn't know if he was rigged with suicide bomb equipment etc.

There was also the concern that his followers would have taken hostages to try and negotiate his release.

That is true, just a pity it couldn't have been done differently.

I don't think they should have killed him, that just made him a martyr which is what he would have wanted. Life (actual life) in prison would have been better.

Agree, :thumbup: and i personally think this would make MORE of his followers want revenge on america, i dont think its helped matters.... i also think they didnt have a choice and they did it for their own saftey in that instance.......like others have said fear of rigged suicide bombs etc......

I don't think of the death penalty as revenge or punishment.
Just a snuffing out of people who shouldn't be allowed in our society.
They've proven they're detrimental. Public monies shouldn't be wasted to support their life.

It actually cost more to keep a man on death row than in the general pop of a prison.

It actually cost more to keep a man on death row than in the general pop of a prison.

Yes, It's dumb how long they are on death row!:growlmad:

Maybe one or two appeals max and then get rid of them.
I mean seriously, this 10, 15, 20 year stuff is nonsense!

They do get a minimum number of appeals. It varies by state and then that's it. It just takes that long for the courts to get through them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->