death penalty ?

Just to add to my earlier post, and to agree with a couple of others, I think prison life should be made unbearable. No luxuries for good behaviour, no tv/games rooms etc. Prisoners should be given a small room with only a bed and a toilet and they should serve their time as prisoners, not as people who live better lives than some non-criminals. I think that is the only deterrent. There are criminals who commit crimes when they are let out of prison just so they can go back in because it's better than the real world to them. Pretty much says it all. Prisons should be a place that people never want to go back to

And sometimes it will make it worst. If they were rapist or something, they usually let their victims live, but they fear prison life, they may start killing to cover their tracks.

Not necessarily though, murder has a much longer sentence than rape. Knowing that if they did get caught for killing instead of just raping should cause them more fear because they would have to spend even longer in prison. At the rate that most rapists go through their victims, to murder them as well would be irresponsible because it would be so easy to get caught

I wrote an article on this a few months ago actually if anyone wants to read it :)

https://becksx89.blogspot.com/2011/06/injustice-of-justice.html

In a simplistic world where people are either 100% guarenteed to be guilty of a crime then I'm all for the death penalty, very very strongly. But I also respect that in some cases a guilty verdict does not always mean a guilty person so I don't think it's an appropriate form of punishment in this day and age.

I do feel strongly on this subject, particularly when it comes to child abusers, peodophiles, serial killers etc that yes they should recieve the death penalty. I simply believe that some people do not deserve a second third or fourth chance at freedom as many of them often recieve and I do believe they should be put down like animals so to speak. After all, imo, murder victims don't get a second chance at life so why should criminals.

Then again, my view may also stem from what I know etc of jails ( UK) and how I strongly believe that in many cases prison is not hard enough on some, certainly not hard enough to match the crimes that many commit.

I think I'm waffling, but you get the jist. In today's modern world I don't think the death penalty can be used in general murder cases etc, in case the person is not really guily etc. But in an ideal world, (ideals not the right word I know) we would be able to tell 100000% if they are guilty of the crime accused or not.

I think the death penalty is and easy way out,the criminals should suffer for what theyve done In the case of murderers or rapists and suchlike,I think the family of the victim should be able to decide what happens to them.

However keeping them in prison for year just eats away at our taxes and when they eventually get released,whos to say they wont do it again.

Just to add to my earlier post, and to agree with a couple of others, I think prison life should be made unbearable. No luxuries for good behaviour, no tv/games rooms etc. Prisoners should be given a small room with only a bed and a toilet and they should serve their time as prisoners, not as people who live better lives than some non-criminals. I think that is the only deterrent. There are criminals who commit crimes when they are let out of prison just so they can go back in because it's better than the real world to them. Pretty much says it all. Prisons should be a place that people never want to go back to

And sometimes it will make it worst. If they were rapist or something, they usually let their victims live, but they fear prison life, they may start killing to cover their tracks.

Not necessarily though, murder has a much longer sentence than rape. Knowing that if they did get caught for killing instead of just raping should cause them more fear because they would have to spend even longer in prison. At the rate that most rapists go through their victims, to murder them as well would be irresponsible because it would be so easy to get caught
Is it a good idea for rapists (the ones who can't stop) go free?

I have a lot of issues with the death penalty, and even don't think I'd pursue it if the victim was one of my family. Mainly because it doesn't do any good.. it doesn't change what happened, it doesn't fill that hole in your life, it doesn't stop someone else from doing the same thing.
From a purely financial perspective (and with a 100% guilty guarantee) I think it could be useful, but since it costs more, its just pointless.

As for the 'luxuries' in prison, I do think its wrong, but I also know that the chances of rehabilitation are probably better with things like exposure to culture and world events. As it is, our jails already turn minor offenders into career criminals, but there are a few who do get rehabilitated and I think that is the best outcome.
(I don't believe in rehabilitiation for pedophiles and serial killers/rapists... I think its a sickness that we have no cure for so its best to keep them locked up)

I have a lot of issues with the death penalty, and even don't think I'd pursue it if the victim was one of my family. Mainly because it doesn't do any good.. it doesn't change what happened, it doesn't fill that hole in your life, it doesn't stop someone else from doing the same thing.
From a purely financial perspective (and with a 100% guilty guarantee) I think it could be useful, but since it costs more, its just pointless.

As for the 'luxuries' in prison, I do think its wrong, but I also know that the chances of rehabilitation are probably better with things like exposure to culture and world events. As it is, our jails already turn minor offenders into career criminals, but there are a few who do get rehabilitated and I think that is the best outcome.
(I don't believe in rehabilitiation for pedophiles and serial killers/rapists... I think its a sickness that we have no cure for so its best to keep them locked up)

i agree, giving prisoners the opportunity to gain qualifications/learn a trade etc could only help not hinder......locking prisoners in a room with no tv nothing to do all those years i cant see helping them rehabilitate.......(that is not including pedophiles, serial killer/rapists as i also do not think anything can help people like this. )

I agree, Some mild offenders really need rehabilitation. Traumatizing them can hurt them. If they get released, they may not be able to function in the society. Post trauma disorder can make them more violence rather they don't want to go back or not.

I don't agree with the death penalty, for me murder is always wrong and nobody should ever get the right to choose who lives and dies, you can take away someones civil rights - keep them out of society, no right to vote, no frills etc but you can't take away someone's human right (the right to live, food and shelter) even the worst criminal because they are still human and we cannot behave the same way as they do by stooping to the same level we would lose our own humanity,

with crime I think prevention is better than cure, with things like pedophiles its recognized as mental problem, but, other criminals are mentally sane, society should be looking at what drives someone to commit crime, why have they felt so disconnected from society? Human life to me is the most important thing, nobody deserves death, only a criminal could kill. I hope that makes any sense :haha: :flower:

No to death penalty. (Smelly we are supposed to be disagreeing!:lol:)

For the reasons already stated.

As for making prison life unbearable, well some countries with notoriously high crime rates (eg South Africa) don't exactly have luxury cells, yet their crime rate escalates. It might work in some ways, but I think crime is much more complex than that.

unfortunately people like serial killers, while definitely mentally wired differently, there isn't really a treatment for that. Personality disorders like sociopathy have no treatment, and in fact sociopaths are master manipulators and are good at fooling people.

I wish there was a better way to handle them, but I guess preventing child abuse is one way.

No to death penalty. (Smelly we are supposed to be disagreeing!:lol:)

For the reasons already stated.

As for making prison life unbearable, well some countries with notoriously high crime rates (eg South Africa) don't exactly have luxury cells, yet their crime rate escalates. It might work in some ways, but I think crime is much more complex than that.

that actually made me LOL.......( edit: just to clarify the sentence in brackets made me LOL)

Yeah prisons in the UK are better in comparison to some others around the world ...american/mexican/african/asian prisons.....some are awful in comparison ... and that doesnt improve or help the person imprisoned.

i watched one doc on a prison in asia somewhere but i cant remember exactly, but the cells were filled with 10-20 people and in one were children under 18 with adults 1 who was a peodaphile :wacko: ..............crazy.

in the U.S. some states do ban death penalties and they do provide activities, tv, etc. . They also give those with disabilities accessibility rights (well some of them, we are working on adding TTY and videophones). Some people would disagree but those who don't have disabilities seem to have MORE rights than those who do. It isn't fair for disabilities receive harsher punishment (imagine NEVER being able to talk to your family and watching those who don't have disabilities talking to theirs). Their disability should not be used to punish them. So we are trying to change that to make sure they never do use people's disability to punish them, and give them equal access. Just giving you some idea what it is like in American prisons.. at least in some states.

Capital punishment is illegal in the UK, however certain states in the US allow for capital punishment. In recent years, the methods have come under fire as there is some skepticism as to whether or not the lethal injection is classed as cruel and unusual punishment per the Bill of Rights. It is illegal to execute someone that is mentally challenged or has been convicted on the grounds of insanity.

I personally am for the death penalty. If someone killed my child or raped and murdered my child, I would want them dead. No questions asked.

Defendants that are convicted and sentenced to the death penalty have so many appeals. It costs more to keep a defendant on death row than in the general population of a prison.

On a side note, inmates should not have all the amenities they get in prisons and jails. I agree with the sheriff in Arizona. House them in a tent city with pink underwear and the weather channel.

Im also against it. I think it has no place in a civilised justicial system.

I think the death penalty is and easy way out,the criminals should suffer for what theyve done In the case of murderers or rapists and suchlike,I think the family of the victim should be able to decide what happens to them.

However keeping them in prison for year just eats away at our taxes and when they eventually get released,whos to say they wont do it again.

that would never work. Everyone has a different idea of justice so in some (most probably) cases the punishment wont fit the crime. Yes, if anyone laid a finger of amelie I'd want to kill them with my bare hands but thats because shes my world.

Against the death penalty for all the reasons already outlined in this thread.

Also I don't think prisons need to be made harsher. A harsh environment does not turn a person away from crime - they need to be rehabilated. The prisons here would be considered luxury by some (I visited one open prison, there are no walls at all, the prisons have the keys to their own rooms, plenty of recreation possibilities and private cabins for weekend family visits) however the recidivism (return to prison) rate is extremely low here. Of course the reasons are far more complex than just the prison system but it does have a huge effect. Prisoners are encouraged to study (can even leave on day pass to go to university) or continue in their work (again leave on day pass to go to work), or they work within the prisons (for minimal pay) and are helped upon release as well to find work, accomodation etc so they don't go back to their previous criminal life.

Incidentally, tomorrow is World Day Against the Death Penalty x

Against the death penalty for all the reasons already outlined in this thread.

Also I don't think prisons need to be made harsher. A harsh environment does not turn a person away from crime - they need to be rehabilated. The prisons here would be considered luxury by some (I visited one open prison, there are no walls at all, the prisons have the keys to their own rooms, plenty of recreation possibilities and private cabins for weekend family visits) however the recidivism (return to prison) rate is extremely low here. Of course the reasons are far more complex than just the prison system but it does have a huge effect. Prisoners are encouraged to study (can even leave on day pass to go to university) or continue in their work (again leave on day pass to go to work), or they work within the prisons (for minimal pay) and are helped upon release as well to find work, accomodation etc so they don't go back to their previous criminal life.

i believe those who do return to prison for luxury is a sign of a struggling to deal with stress or responsibilities or even a sign there something wrong with the country. For example, if a person have mental illness, and can't get food or pay bills (the way we do our taxes and bills in America is so stressful and confusing), and no one will provide them shelter, they will take an easy way out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->