*** December Snowflakes 2012 *** 158 Snowflakes - 36 born so far!

I think I'm going to speak to my midwife when I see her on Thursday about the vaccine lolly. But as far as I know there are no high risks and benefits will outway any risks, il probably take it. :thumbup:

I thought you couldn't get the whooping cough vaccine while pregnant and had to get it right after delivery???? I definitely could be wrong. I got the whooping cough vaccine like a year ago, so I am OK. I made my husband go get the vaccine, as well as my parents. He needs to ask his mom to get it since she will be coming to help out too. Everyone here is also talking about the flu shot right now as well. I am also nervous about getting any vaccines while pregnant. I am at low risk for the flu because I am working from home full time til the babies come and can't get out much as it is. My husband and I agree, I will not be getting the flu shot. I have never gotten it in the past and have never had the flu...just head colds. Knock on wood this isn't the 1st year I get it!

It wasn't recommended for pregnant ladies but now because of an outbreak here they are saying it's better to get it :shrug: they say the vaccine can help protect the baby, as it's deadly for infants if they catch it (there have been 8 infant deaths in an area here recently). I'm just doing some research in to the vaccine and will then make my mind up. Sweden abandoned the vaccine as it was ''ineffective'' back in the 70's and there was also an outbreak in San Diego in 2010 and 2/3rds of the ill were those that had been vaccinated. I just want to be absolutely sure it's going to help rather than do any harm.

I'm a bit wary of vaccines and meds during pregnancy since the whole thalidomide disaster though :wacko: so probably why I'm extra weary.

So if you get it right after baby is born, isn't that just as good? They mostly get whooping cough from mom. Not expecting you to know, just wondering out loud. It is super important to make sure anyone coming around you baby has the vaccine...partner, grand parents, siblings, day care provider, etc.

To be totally honest about vaccines DH and I don't believe in them at all. (I'm not trying to start a vaccine debate etc just stating my opinion, especially for pregnancy). In the past 10 years the only year I've had the flu is the year I got the flu shot. Same for the 3 years in a row DH received the flu shot (because of military). Here in the states they are actually releasing reports that a lot of ppl actually contracting whooping cough are the people who have already been vaccinated against it because apparently children aren't receiving enough boosters and the immunity wears off. I think in England you guys may not have the same DTaP that we have and may be able to get them separately which if I was going to choose vaccines at all, would be my choice. We're denying shots for LO when she's born and from here on out not getting any for ourselves either.

So if you get it right after baby is born, isn't that just as good? They mostly get whooping cough from mom. Not expecting you to know, just wondering out loud. It is super important to make sure anyone coming around you baby has the vaccine...partner, grand parents, siblings, day care provider, etc.

From what I'm reading online, that sounds about right. Anyone close to the baby should be vaccinated, so I might ask if I can get it done at the hospital after the birth and get my OH to go get it done at the doctors.

It's unethical to test on pregnant women so I'm just a bit iffy about having it done with so little research into it's effectiveness on pregnant ladies and their babies, and if/and how much harm could be caused.

Lilly - I'm not completely anti-vax (I do believe SOME have their place), but I do like to do my research fully. We had DD vaccinated but after lots and lots and LOTS of reeading up we decided to delay all of the programmes. I'll do the same again this time round. No debates here though I hope ;) we'll get enough of those when we are all in Baby Club... people tear you apart in there :rofl:

Lilly - I'm not completely anti-vax (I do believe SOME have their place), but I do like to do my research fully. We had DD vaccinated but after lots and lots and LOTS of reeading up we decided to delay all of the programmes. I'll do the same again this time round. No debates here though I hope ;) we'll get enough of those when we are all in Baby Club... people tear you apart in there :rofl:

Too true...makes me not even want to join Baby Club with as catty as some people can get. Best bet is to not even reply to them. We used to not be totally anti-vax until DH had an awful reaction to the anthrax vaccine. I wish there were ways to separate them in the states, but as far as I know it's the combo or nothing. :shrug:

Yep, that was my worry with the MMR jab. I would have preferred DD to have them all individually rather than combined but the NHS do not offer it. I even looked into going private but one of them no longer have a single vaccine (possibly mumps, but I can't really remember). Each to their own on this IMO, you do what's best for your own x

I'll definitely be getting it. I'm a dentist and one of my 2 jobs is in really deprived inner city clinic and come into contact with all kinds of things as you can imagine!! I have to be immunised to the max with various things like hep b, tb etc or can't legally work!! So pretty used to having to have them. Can understand everyone has their own opinions though.

I won't be getting it, I'm not high risk to coming into contact with it tbh and I don't think there has been enough research into it, that's just my opinion

I'm going to be doing some reading. There has been 9 deaths in the UK but over 4000 cases.

If anyone finds any good research please can you share. I'll do the same.

Other that worrying about whooping cough, hope everyone is doing well.

I won't be getting it, I'm not high risk to coming into contact with it tbh and I don't think there has been enough research into it, that's just my opinion

That's my general opinion too. I def won't be getting the flu jab.

I'm going to be doing some reading. There has been 9 deaths in the UK but over 4000 cases.

It's usually good to know if the people who died were vaccinated/partially vaccinated/unvaccinated so you have something to base the final opinion on. Also, how old were they, did they have any pre-existing conditions or immunity suppressing diseases or if it was infants who died were they too young to have received the full series of shots? These are usually the things I'm looking for when I do my research and read about the VPD epidemics. All of these things can be reasons why someone would have died especially in the case of elderly/already sick/too young to get all shots.

Hi ladies,

I actually got both the flu and Tdap (whooping cough) vaccinations at my appointment yesterday. I'm not a fan of medications/vaccine while pregnant but I also work at a university and am constantly exposed to people and their germs. So I'm used to getting vaccines to protect myself. I don't think the doctor would give me something if the benefit didn't outweigh the cost but I definitely agree that's it's a personal choice for everyone.

It's usually good to know if the people who died were vaccinated/partially vaccinated/unvaccinated so you have something to base the final opinion on. Also, how old were they, did they have any pre-existing conditions or immunity suppressing diseases or if it was infants who died were they too young to have received the full series of shots? These are usually the things I'm looking for when I do my research and read about the VPD epidemics. All of these things can be reasons why someone would have died especially in the case of elderly/already sick/too young to get all shots.

Sorry should have said the 9 were under 10weeks. 302 cases under 3 months. Not sure about vaccination? I think we start whooping vac at 8weeks?

Very unlikely mother was vaccinated as wasn't routine here.

Sorry should have said the 9 were under 10weeks. 302 cases under 3 months. Not sure about vaccination? I think we start whooping vac at 8weeks?

Very unlikely mother was vaccinated as wasn't routine here.

Standard schedule in US is 2,4,6,18 months and between 4-6 years for a booster of the pertussis vaccination. So while sad, the ones who passed away were too young to be completely protected anyway.

Yeah, that's why they want to vaccinate pregnant women to help protect the 0-3month olds. I'm sceptical. Only just really heard about this, will do proper research in the next few days.

Hi ladies,

Wow, this thread moves! I’ve been traveling for 5 weeks from Papua New Guinea, via Italy to see the inlaws, and now am in Canada, settling in and starting to get ready to welcome the little one in December. It’s taken me more than a few days to read back through all of the posts since I left off. So good to see the bump pics and hear all of the stories!

Also good to know that so many things that have been mentioned here I have been wondering about as well, from shortness of breath to still having crazy dreams, making piles of pillows and worrying about sticking on my left side, to finally getting ready to think about labour! Some of the same worries as well (pooing during labour, yup), and new ones - I had a dentist appointment today since my gums were constantly bleeding when I brushed, and my hygienist was telling me lots of stories of her four births - including two where she wanted, but couldn’t have, an epidural. I have been really thinking of trying to do this WITHOUT one, but she seemed to think that this was nuts.

Just from the last few posts - TTC lolly - I had the flu jab in Australia before I flew and was glad I did with everyone coughing on the plane. I was immunized for whooping cough when I was younger, but will see about having a booster before or after I give birth. Bean, looking forward to seeing what you come up with and I’ll do research here too. SanFranShan, I also want those around the baby to get their booster...particularly since we will have family traveling from Italy and Papua. There’s been outbreaks here too, and in Australia.

On a lighter note, it’s been hard to get in the shopping mode when I have to think about what I will need here for when the baby is born, and what I can take with me at 2 months, when I move back to the pacific. Looks like I’ll buy a pack ‘n play instead of a crib, for example...alot to think about!

I have a scan (apparently not 3d, since they don’t seem to be diagnostic here?) at 30 weeks to check to see if my low lying placenta has moved, and can’t wait to see the little one again :)

Ah, so good to be back online with the snowflakes! Will post bump pics in the next few days...

here is my 27 week bump!!

Attachments

• 27 weeks pregnant.jpg
    27 weeks pregnant.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 4
Wow Expat! You are all over the place! Bbygurl - cute bump!

Here is my bump from a couple days ago. I am due to take a new one this week but feel too lazy.

Attachments

• 26w 6d BNBjpg.jpg
    26w 6d BNBjpg.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member