***December Snowflakes 2012 Parenting***

Yes tooth days 7-10 and then 14-15 expect a feeding frenzy. It's not forever though. x

Oh man...I am just sooo glad the first three weeks are over -- they were so hard for me. I only feel like the hormones started to settle down as LO reached 4 weeks. That's also when time started to speed up to normal pace again, and some normalcy began to return to life (SOME....and it's a NEW normal).

I cried multiple times daily for the first 2 weeks...I found that getting SLEEP was KEY. I was so restless and hyped up that I didn't feel tired...but once I was forced to get sleep (by DH and my psych provider who diagnosed me PPD), I found that my sanity returned SO quickly, even just after one night.

As for bleeding...mine got very spotty/brown at 3.5 weeks, stopped for a few days, then spotting started up again. I think it's completely stopped now, although I did get some spotting after DH and I DTD twice last week (yes! DTD! The first time hurt more than I thought it would, but the second time was much better. Using condoms because I'm still not on any birth control...need to make that appointment asap!)

I'm happy to announce that for two nights in a row, Summer has only demanded two night feedings instead of 3. And now that I've spoken it aloud...she will feed four times tonight. I don't even care. It's been glorious.

I am having a hard time knowing what expectations are reasonable for LO....yes she is 5 weeks, but still was only due 12 days ago. There isn't much information on using adjusted age for late pre-term infants, and she definitely can't eat as much as a term 5 week old might (she's just only hit 8lbs this week and takes 2.5-3 ounces per feeding 7-8 times a day). I hear of these other babies her age taking 4-5 ounces and I think she would just EXPLODE if she had that much!

GenY...I had to lol at the prospect of summer waking 4 times tonight because you've jinxed it! :haha:
What gestation was she born at? I didn't realise she was early. DS was born at 34+6 but I never adjusted anything for him. Perhaps I just have (too) high expectations! :haha: He's never seemed behind his peers though.
Flicka was born at 37 weeks so I guess should only be 18 days old. Again in not counting that and want her to start sleeping now darn it bit wake for a feed every 90 mins!!! *yawn*
I met a daftly competitive mum at a local weigh in clinic who said Flicka was "tiny" because she was "only" 9 1/2 lbs at 5 weeks but her LO was already 10lbs. Her LO was born at 42 weeks so technically there's 5 weeks difference between them not 2 days. I didn't point that out cos she seemed so pleased to have a bigger baby. :dohh:

Dear DD,

It's been 2 hours crying and fighting sleep...you're tired, mummy's tired so why not just close your eyes and go to sleep PLEASE!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

Mummy

2016 - that lady would have had a grand old time if I was there!! Summer is barely over 8lbs at 5 weeks! And please Flicka...drift off for your mummy!!!

Hi ladies, my little darling is sleeping all day and feeding two hourly overnight :( really hoping he switches this pattern!

Ok I haven't had a boy before and I am clearly doing something wrong with the nappy situation. He is wearing Huggies new born nappies and every so often his singlet is getting wet with wee?? Is there something I should know...

Munch, i have 2 boys and used huggies too (finishing up newborn box), but i've never encountered that prolem. I have read online to point their little peepees down, but my boys' naturally hang that way anyway so not sure if that applies to your little man? Also, are you tying the straps tight enough at the waist?

Munch our son is also in huggies a few days ago he kept on leaking, when he was in size 1 newborn, so we put him in size 2 newborn and he's stopped wetting through to his clothes (and once daddy:haha:) it looks massive on him but it appears to be what he needed.

Munch this is my 2nd boy and you just have to point the boy bits down!! Having said that we had some huggies and pampers to try and will prob stick to pampers

Thanks girls, some good tips there :) I may have to point it downwards. His umbilical stump gets in the way of the top of the nappy so I have been folding it down about 1cm so perhaps that's not helping situation. That's another thing, how long has it taken for your LO's stump to fall off? I am cleaning around it at bath time but I thought it would have fallen off by now? He is two weeks tomorrow.

Sorry, no experience with boys here, but my DD's stump fell off when dh was 5 days old.

Oh 2016...I've been there x x x LOL at the competitive weighing in Mum. Seriously, some people need to get out more.

Ava's cord stump is still hanging in there at 9 days - my midwife told me it can take up to 2 weeks but I'm hoping it is off soon. It looks so gross!

On the nappy subject - has anyone else tried cloth nappies? We got a trial pack and I LOVE them. They are so soft and cosy and seem to fit her better than the disposables? I've just ordered some more bamboo ones from little lambs. (If anyone is thinking of doing the same, let me know because I have a discount code.)

https://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s418/2012HoneyBee/E3DC8E45-1DA9-450F-802B-FB0588AA5FE2-6604-00000A65DAC57B38.jpg

My family have all arrived today and our routine is shattered! I am quite proud though because we went out for lunch and I got the boobs out in public (no shame) and managed a nappy change balanced precariously on the side of a sink. I felt like super-Mum until I got home and had to have a nap to recover. Lots of pre-Christmas hugs to you all x x x

Both my LOs cords dropped off by 5 days. I daubed the area with a cotton ball soaked in surgical spirits each day to stop infection and dry it out. Doesn't hurt them at all. This is what's recommended in South Africa although I know in the UK they say to leave it but I think that's crap advice tbh!

What are surgical spirits? Where do you get them?

Fin's stump dropped off on day 10.

I'd love to try cloth nappies but i'm not sure i could handle the work to be honest. Plus we just bought six months' worth of huggies because there was an awesome sale.

I don't know what to do with myself if i'm not bf or changing dirty nappies (both kids are asleep) :haha: baby was seriously on the boob every hour yesterday but hardly fed overnight so i got lots of rest. My bf phone app says i was bf > 6hrs these past few days. Yes, 2nd time mum and i still record feedings :haha:

^^ 3 week growth spurt! Im about to head into the torturous 6 week growth spurt which for DS meant 3 days of constant all day all night feedings and lots of crying from us both!

You can get surgical spirits from any pharmacy and Ive even seen it on supermarket shelves. It is a disinfectant and astringent. When DS was tiny I followed the UK advice and when it started getting sticky/oozy they still said water only. Then it got infected and pussy and they still said just "leave it to air". Middle of winter yeah right! So I decided to use the surgical spirits as all my SA friends do and DS stump was dry and healed by morning!!!

Honey.bee I will be using cloth diapers but I've already got my whole stash. Went with bumgenius. I'm glad you're enjoying them. Can't wait to see my little girl in her colorful fluff in hopefully the next day or two.

I've heard of using alcohol wipes around the base of the stump if its looking a bit red...also dries it out. We were lucky that Summer's fell off at 6 days.

Do any of your LOs fight naps like a demon? She goes right back to sleep after her overnight feedings (well, mostly...she's wide awake after our 445am feed). Anyway, if I let her she would stay up for hours sometimes, but then gets overtired. So I'm trying to get her settled for naps with swaddling and rocking if she's been up longer than 90 mins, but she fiiiights closing her eyes, and cries as soon as she is put down. I don't want her to get too used to falling asleep on us (every resource says put them to bed drowsy) but she cannot seem to self-soothe at all.

Is 5 1/2 weeks just way too young to expect her to go down drowsy and fall asleep?

Gen- mine baby girl has been doing the same thing (she's 4 weeks today). We can hold her and she will sleep but if we lay her down she's awake in 2 minutes. She doesn't do that at night though. She slept from 9 last night until 4 this morning. She's been eating for almost an hour now though lol. I don't mind because I feel so energized!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->