• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

***December Snowflakes 2012 Parenting***

Millie puts up a good fight when trying to get her to latch on too :haha: she's so strong too, sometimes I really struggle to stop her from lashing out!

I wasn't saying to leave a newborn to cry uncontrollably and just ignore it, that's just cruel, I was just saying try not to get into the habit of letting them fall asleep on you as it's a very hard habit to break xx

How was Flicka's appt?!

If Summer gets too hungry or is too tired and in a 'frenzy' she won't eat unless swaddled tightly. She just flails around hitting herself in the face. It's funny and awful at the same time.

So since it wasn't thrush I've decided Summer has a touch of acid reflux (she looks very uncomfy/cries with spit up). She also seems to fight sleep and now prefers to be held for sleeping.

I've just gotten off the phone with my mom who says I was the exact same, very colicky - then she laughed and said 'karma is a bitch'. Too bad she's here tomorrow for 3 weeks...she's going to have it all back again! DH and I need some date nights!

Fifi of course!!! I've already been trying to put Summer down 'mostly asleep' to see if she'll soothe herself the rest of the way.

So far, she's getting worse at it rather than better...

Ichisan - sorry to hear you think you have PND again...are you doing okay?

It's been a hectic day so just a quick update.

Paed appt was fab. I forgot what an amazing and friendly doc he is and I was super impressed he recognised me in the carpark bearing in mind he's not seen me since I last took my son to him a year ago! He agreed LO has silent reflux and prescribed Domperidone. He then gave me his mobile number to call him personally if in a few days or weeks I feel it's not working! He kind of checked for tongue tie and said he didn't think she had one but my lactation consultant friend said he couldn't have diagnosed a posterior tongue tie without feeling inside her mouth which he didnt do.
Anyway I'm booked to see a lactation consultant in my area on Monday morning because, tie or not, every feed is painful so we need to find the cause!
He also said he would ask his dermatologist friend to review the photos of her birthmark and maybe save me the trip to London.
Finally I had a quick chat with him about contraception because I'm worried about using hormonal contraception and it going through BM even though GPs swear its safe. He said although they test that the levels in each feed are safe, they don't test the cumulative effect and there's no way to know if it could negatively affect her fertility later in life. Having had problems myself I'm so afraid of causing her some too! I can't have an IUD as it increases risk of ectopics and I've already had two! Hubby won't get the snip and I loathe condoms so I guess it's abstinence....not that I actually want to DTD anyway even though hubby has started bugging me - 3 weeks PP and still heavily bleeding - has he gone insane? :dohh:

2016 - I'm thrilled to hear your appointment went so well!!! Would you mind telling me again what LO's symptoms of silent reflux were? That would be wonderful if he could save you the trip to London for the derm appointment too! Really, truly am happy for you -- hope the reflux gets better soon!!!

Little miss Summer seems less colicky on her new formula and with me paying more attention to properly burping her. I did the math though, and the last two days she fell 2-3 ounces short of the amount of formula she is supposed to take...of course this has me thoroughly worried. I sense her stomach can't handle the same volume of formula as of breastmilk. I just hope she picks it up soon! She is making plenty of wet diapers though, so that's good...right?!?

GenY...here is a website I found with a list of symptoms.
https://www.pollywogbaby.com/refluxandcolic/silent-reflux-infant.html

LO specifically has frequent and prolonged hiccups, burping, spitting up small amounts (clear with curds), random outbursts of crying, crying when laid on back, demanding to be carried, fussiness, feeding issues, trapped wind, constant nursing for comfort, choking/gagging episodes, unsettled sleep

I don't know if its my imagination but I swear she is a bit more settled after just two doses of the meds. She's actually falling asleep on the boob which she wasnt doing before! :happydance:

Amazing news 2016 :yipee: I really hope it is the meds working their magic!

Yay Flicka! Progress!

My mom just got in today for an extended stay to help out. It's a bit anxiety provoking, as I feel a bit if a need to be a good hostess to her, and at the same time, want to make sure DH doesn't feel weird or annoyed by having his MIL here for a few weeks. Add to that, DH is sick and is a terrible grouch like all men when ill...plus we are limiting how much he cares for Summer, trying not to get her sick!

I feel a bit in the middle, trying to balance everyone's needs and make sure everyone is comfortable and happy. Family is so awkward!

Arghh poor you Gen :hugs: just make sure you get a rest too, trying to make everyone happy/comfortable.

Forgot to mention - we took Millie for her 10 day check up (@ 11 days) and the MW was very happy with us both and we have been discharged from their care :happydance: Millie is now 8lbs 5oz! That's an 8oz gain in just 6 days :yipee: 9oz in total since birth. I am making super milk!

How is everybody? Hope you all had lovely weekends :flower:

We've had more visitors today, and had some yesterday evening too. I'm quite glad people have held off visiting too early as I am definitely feeling more human now! The girls both got lots of lovely presents and I got some chocolates, we did well :)

:happydance: my wee man slept in his Moses basket all night except for feeds and nappy change! Im so proud of him:cloud9:

Lolly I know how you feel about visitors we have been getting a couple a day since he was born and its exhausting I wish some people would wait. Plus Lewis always wants to be fed as soon as someone walks through the door :dohh: which I don't mind doing in front of some people but others like my dad and oh dad I'm not comfortable with.

Attachments

• 71ae1a02bd25b0ba6376afd9173fe0a3.jpg
    71ae1a02bd25b0ba6376afd9173fe0a3.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 3
So the verdict from the LC today was that LO had a severe posterior tongue tie. One snip and she has so much more use of her tongue! She seems to be quite fussy and in pain now which I was told to expect but hopefully we are now on the road to better feeds. :)

Goooo Lewis :yipee: I know what you mean about feeding in front of dad's too! I have a breastfeeding shawl which has been very handy for when we have visitors, tricky getting her latched on though without sight but I'm sure I'll pick that up.

2016, amazing news! Poor Flicka, I hope the discomfort for her eases soon. What a relief though :hugs:

Well I've had a really bad night :( Millie didn't go down until 3.25am and has woken at 5.15. What little sleep I did get in between those hours was interrupted with our stupid cat miaowing loudly by the bedroom door and OH's snoring. I'm feeling really tired and emotional. She's feeding ok, will come off on her own but then starts rooting so I put her back on the breast and she just thrashes about and then pulls away :shrug: she then eventually will drop off but the slightest movement from me and she wakes up again, so there's no putting her in her basket. I really want to get my supply established before I start expressing but she's really pushed me to breaking point tonight that I'm thinking I might try pumping some milk tomorrow and then giving her it at night to see if she will go longer. I don't know what to do!?

:hugs: TTC_lolly I know all about nights like that. Exhausted and emotional like the tears are ready to spill from your eyes any second.:(
If it helps at all, there is a major growth spurt at 2 weeks. She won't seem satisfied because she needs to up your supply a notch. It's mind numbingly exhausting but it should only last 1-2 days.

Just so you are prepared, the same happens around 3 weeks, 6 weeks (this one nearly killed me with DS and lasted 4 days!), 9 weeks then 3,6,9,12 months.

2016, glad you got the tongue tie issue sorted out!

Lolly, sorry about the lack of sleep...I know what you mean! I have started to pump some milk so DH can feed her while I sleep, but she never seems satisfied with that. She was up every hour to feed from 9-2am. So i thought I would pre-empt that and wake her up starting at 630 every 1.5 hours to feed. well after 3 feedings, she spit up a ton, and started choking on it. We used the nasal sucker thing to try to help clear her airway, and DH and I freaked out and called 911 and by the time they got there, she had calmed down a bit. We are taking her in to the pediatrician today just to be safe. Has anyone ever had their LO spit up milk and mucous and appear to choke on it? I have no idea if this is normal. needless to say, i will not be waking her up to eat anymore! She can tell me when she is hungry from now on.

My hormones are still raging and i cry at the drop of a hat. I hope this subsides soon too! Anyone else a big cryer now? DH goes back to work tomorrow and every time i think of that i start to cry. Ugh!

Chloe...LO has reflux so spits up after every feed, if I lay her flat or put her in the carseat. She chokes most of the times she spits up and is literally gasping for air! Scared the crap outta me at first but horrid to say I'm used to it now!
When DS was little i did a first aid course and learned CPR, how to manage choking as well as first aid for cuts, burns etc. etc. I have a leaflet that I keep next to LOs cot in case I forget what to do. It really increasedy confidence to be able to cope with these situations.

Thanks for the advice 2016 :hugs: that's good to hear. I think I was just having a tired little hissy fit when I wrote that out this morning! I'm being silly and I won't be expressing just yet. Will see this through and hopefully it'll pass soon enough :)

Oh Chloe that sounds so scary :( I'm glad Gaby was ok in the end.

I am definitely more emotional/sensitive. Baby hormones + lack of sleep = :( me! LOL! I have been fine this past fortnight, it was just last night that really got to me. If it's the same tonight at least I know what to expect I guess!

Summer is 4 weeks on Friday and I still cry at everything!! Then again I'm battling PND, so I'm sure it's a bit worse than usual.
Having my mom here has been great for letting myself and especially DH get some sleep. He got a nasty cold and hasn't been in very good form at all...then I get super sensitive about it!
It's a bit hard having my mom here and trying to make she and DH feel comfortable...which has made me a bit crazy. She will be spending a few days with other friends in Seattle starting today so hopefully that will help me relax? I want to enjoy the time my mom is here but I'm always worried that DH is feeling forgotten or that he isn't on his best 'polite' behavior all the time. How can I relax and just let them sort out their own relationship?

Chloe - so sorry you had that scare with Gaby!!! How terrifying!
Lolly - you sound as though you're coping brilliantly! A toddler and a newborn?!? My goodness!
2016 - how is Flicka recovering from her tongue snipping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->