Delayed cord clamping

FeistyMom

3 DDs, 1 DS & Preggers
Reaction score
I am interested in doing delayed cord clamping, but I'm not sure who/when I need to talk to someone about it. Should I just ask my OB or do I need to check with the hospital?

I am definitely planning on delivering in the hospital, due to a history of complications in my family, but want this birth to be natural like my last two. Just want to add in the delayed cord clamping this time because everything I've read and heard about it makes so much sense.

Anyone had any problems making that happen in a hospital?

I'd say it's a conversation you should have with your OB, but you don't need to ask! If there are any issues you could direct your OB to Dr. Nicholas Fogelson's Grand Rounds talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX-zD8jKne0 There are four parts in all.

If they say anything like, "well of course we can leave the cord but if there's an emergency we'll have to clamp and cut it", bear it mind that isn't necessarily true as the doctors and midwives that I've spoken to have all said that it's beneficial and entirely possible to leave the cord to pulsate if the baby needs to be helped/resuscitated.

Hopefully your OB will be on board but if they aren't, this is a chance for you to help inform and improve their practice, and if you come up against resistance, fight your corner, and maybe think about switching to an OB who respects your views and wishes.

Good luck!

like the PP said, theres no need to "ask" you specify it in your birth plan and inform whoever is present at delivery of your wishes and get your birth partner to be on the ball and make sure your wishes are followed when baby is delivered (can get hectic and things just done as routine in the moment unless you or your birth partner are onto it enough to insist )

Talk to your Ob about it and tell him/her that you'd like to do that. If you do a birth plan make sure it's in there and remind nurse/OB/staff when you're in labor that you want to do it.

I'd say it's a conversation you should have with your OB, but you don't need to ask! If there are any issues you could direct your OB to Dr. Nicholas Fogelson's Grand Rounds talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX-zD8jKne0 There are four parts in all.

If they say anything like, "well of course we can leave the cord but if there's an emergency we'll have to clamp and cut it", bear it mind that isn't necessarily true as the doctors and midwives that I've spoken to have all said that it's beneficial and entirely possible to leave the cord to pulsate if the baby needs to be helped/resuscitated.

Hopefully your OB will be on board but if they aren't, this is a chance for you to help inform and improve their practice, and if you come up against resistance, fight your corner, and maybe think about switching to an OB who respects your views and wishes.

Good luck!

Great video thanks for posting xxx

Thanks all! That is a really good video :)

My OB has been supportive of my choices - in fact, he even helped me line up resources for breastfeeding while I was pregnant with my first. His wife had their first during that pregnancy, and he wanted all of his patients to have access to the same help and resources that she used. So I don't think it'll be a problem there, was more worried if hospitals have random policies that would make it difficult. Not sure I have DH fully on board yet, but I think he'll come around and be able to make sure it happens.

From past experience, once the baby pops out and I can touch the LO, I don't really pay any attention to anything else, so I know I'll be useless at trying to say anything at that point!

Did you see all four? T:sleep:hey really are great, glad you liked them!

here in the uk, i was told its now policy to wait til the cord has stopped pulsating before clamping and cutting, but when i was in with second they tried to cut it str8 away and i had to shout at them not to lol, but deffo when ur in make sure ur partner tells them thev not to cut cord, as cord blood is so important for babies, im not planning on cutting cord til after placenta is delivered as long as everything goes smoothly

here in the uk, i was told its now policy to wait til the cord has stopped pulsating before clamping and cutting, but when i was in with second they tried to cut it str8 away and i had to shout at them not to lol, but deffo when ur in make sure ur partner tells them thev not to cut cord, as cord blood is so important for babies, im not planning on cutting cord til after placenta is delivered as long as everything goes smoothly

It is very important and sadly a lot of midwives and consultants aren't aware that it is. They also don't realise that the cord can be left to pulsate if the baby needs to be resuscitated, as well as during c-sections. See here https://maisievillegas.com/

Generally I've found that in the UK most hospitals are on board with waiting for it to stop pulsating, but, it really all depends on who ends up caring for you during your birth.

This is definitely a conversation that needs to be had ahead of time and when you are in labor. I have been to births where, even at home with a midwife the cord was clamped and cut for mo medical reason before I could look down at it while standing at moms side. It could be done before you even realize it if you are diligent about expressing this at your wishes. Your partner or labor support person should also be very clear to the team during the pushing stage to tell them not to cut the cord.

If you want to be sure that they wait as long as possible you could request it not be cut until the placenta is born. This way that don't just wait a few extra seconds and then cut it. Baby can still be placed directly on your chest with the cord attached and if resuscitation needs to take place it is best when the cord is still attached so if there is any extra oxygen for the baby in there they can get it. They should be able to take care of the baby on you or beside you but you would have to be clear that those are your wishes.

Since your OB is not likely to be the one on call when you deliver you need to have a support team ready to express your requests to whoever is present.

I hadn't really thought about OB not being there - he has attended both of my daughters' births, but I suppose I shouldn't count on luck happening again!

I honestly hadn't really planned on doing a formal birth plan, but the closer I get the more I think its going to be important - not just for me, but for my OH to feel comfortable and to facilitate communication.

Thanks for all the comments and advice folks! :)

Include it on your plan. Make sure your birth partner(s) know your preferences inside out and can remind your caregivers of your wishes on the day....

You don't have to "ask" as such. You do it the way you want. It's your right. They are serving YOU, not the other way round. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->