Delaying One-Year Vaccinations Until After A Move?

second.time

Reaction score
Hi everyone! DH and I have always vaccinated our kids on the recommended schedule but have an unusual situation this year. We're moving to a new state, with a new job and health insurance, at the end of July. All of July will be a gap between insurance coverage for us. This wouldn't be such a big deal except that my younger DS turns one on the ninth and has a doctor's checkup scheduled, with all the one-year vaccinations included.

We do have the option of COBRA or paying out of pocket, but this could be pretty expensive either way. COBRA will cost $1200 for just the one month.

I know it could take a while to schedule a new appointment in our new state, so the visit could be delayed by several months. Do you think it's best to just go ahead and get the visit out of pocket? Is it too dangerous to delay the one-year check by a few months?

I would just wait until you are all established. My son missed one vaccine dose by 2 months and it wasn't an issue at all. If you are concerned you could always call.

I wouldn't purchase cobra. If anything ask how much it would cost for out of pocket pay. At our clinic a wcc is $160 and vaccines $25 each.

Thanks! I agree, I was thinking that paying for one visit would be less than COBRA even with the vaccination costs, but I can call the pediatrician to double-check. It's good to know that delaying might not be super-harmful. The only concern is if he's exposed to something in the meantime, but with my older DS out of school for the summer, I'm hoping the odds are slim.

My daughter had her one year vaccines at 14 months old, no issues at all.

They do those vaccines at 15 months here.

They do those vaccines at 15 months here.

Interesting, that makes me feel much better about it! I know there's some leeway in when you give vaccines but didn't want to leave the baby exposed to anything dangerous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->