Dental issues after becoming pregnant?

BabyMcRayRay

Reaction score
I've already had some dental issues as it is, my fear of the dentist does not help this at all. I had my 4 top front teeth root canaled. One of them didn't get crowned because of an issue with my insurance. But one of the crowned ones started causing issues just this past week. The gums above just that tooth is tender and a bit puffy. But it doesn't feel like liquid is in there so I am assuming its not an abscess again. Any one experience this type of issue while pregnant. What was the outcome and what should I do. (I'm beyond scared of the dentist but plan on going after the baby is born because dentists that take my insurance won't do anything for the tooth until after baby is born)

Inflamed gums are a common pregnancy symptom, but it is a good idea to seek treatment even while you're pregnant because, not to worry you, but there's a small chance gum disease can cause premature birth or other complications. It sounds from your description that it is just the gum being irritated (pregnancy gingivitis) and if that's the only problem there is a prescription mouthwash that can help a lot. Ask your dentist to write you a prescription for it. Depending on when you had your last cleaning, you might want to go in for that, too.

Don't ignore your gums, but just be sure to get them looked at and it shouldn't be any problem. I know it's hard when you're dentist phobic, but try to be brave :hugs:

I agree with what pp said. It sounds like what you are describing is pregnancy gingivitis. Go for a dental cleaning, increase brushing and flossing the area. Tilt your toothbrush towards your gums and gently brush the gum and tooth at the same time using a circular motion. Don't worry if you see blood, it probably will bleed due to inflammation and hormones. Use listerine daily. If after a couple of weeks it doesn't improve, get a waterpik which is a water flosser. Go to www.waterpik.com and they have some awesome instructional videos on how to use it. Some women have issues with pregnancy gingivitis their whole pregnancy but it resolves post partum.

If the tooth is abscessing you will most likely get a little pimple on your gums directly above the tooth. If this is the case, then you may need some antibiotics. There are some safe for pregnant women to take, just consult your dentist or obgyn.

I'm a dental hygienist. Hope this information was helpful and hope your gums heal quickly!

It is normal during the pregnancy period to feel tenderness in gum due to hormonal changes. It is mandatory to take proper medication as dental decay during this time can cause infections, which can affect the baby in a negative way. It is better that you consult a dental professional at this time in order to avoid complications.
https://www.dawsondental.ca/blog/dental-health/dental-care-during-pregnancy/
I think the above-given blog can give you an idea regarding the dental routines that you should practice in order to achieve a good oral health.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->