Dental Work whilst 6 weeks pregnant?

Wtbam

Reaction score
Hi All

I am currently 6 weeks pregnant and urgently need a filling re-done in one of my teeth.

I suspect it will need a local anaesthetic injected into the gum.

Is this safe during pregnancy?

It's probably fine, but I know my dentist won't do anything more than a check-up/cleaning until the second trimester. Does your dentist know you're pregnant?

There are certain anaesthetics they use in pregnant women I think so be sure to tell him or her that you're pregnant.

He doesn't know yet but I will definitely tell him tomorrow at my appointment. I wonder, if it is safer in the second trimester, maybe I could just live with the pain until then!

I asked the midwife student and she said there shouldn't be a problem but to let the dentist know. I mentioned to my dentist's wife that I'm pregnant and she said no x days but a filling will be fine if I need one. (I have a black dot on a tooth).

I had dental work at seven weeks with my son. I even had an xray done but they called my ob before doing that to make sure he was ok with it. There is anaesthetic they will use that does not contain epinephrine. My dentist also wouldn't do anything major till second tri.. I needed a root canal done. But I had a filling done no problem at 7 weeks.

I also need a filling removed and replaced, I was 7 weeks when I saw my dentist. She just put a bit of temporary filling over my existing one for now to tied me over and rebooked me in for when I'll be 16 weeks as she said she wouldn't be comfortable doing anything until then.

My filling that needs replacing is an amalgam (mercury) filling and will also require an injection.

X

I'm a dental hygienist, and we usually encourage pts to wait until 2nd trimester; not becuase there is necessarily a risk, but basically the first tri is the most risky of something happening to its best to cover your basis as a dentist and not do treatment if it can wait.

HOWEVER, as others as said already, we use carbocaine or another anesthetic without epinephrine, we double shield if we MUST have an xray and only after clearance from your OB. And honestly, sometimes its better to treat a woman regardless of where she is in pregnancy than letting it wait.

The risk of any harm from dental work in any stage of pregnancy is ridiculously slim. The guidelines we follow is usually more to cover our own hides than anything. If you need the work now, and your OB says its okay and your dentist agrees, then rest easy :flower:

Yeah since your risk of miscarriage is highest in 1st tri, they don't want you miscarrying by chance the day aftet treatment and blaming them lol.

wtbam, what did the dentist say? I just cancelled an appointment for a filling bc I assumed it couldn't be done (also bc I'm trying to postpone the procedure like the scaredy puss that I am). but I'm honestly interested in hearing your update. :)

Hi Zoe,

He wouldn't do anything until the baby was born, despite me needing a filling!

thanks for the update. although I'm sure that really stinks for you since you'll be in pain for all that time. was there anything he could do for you for the discomfort?

He just told me to take paracetamol, washed it out (ouch) and put a temporary cap (??) on it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->