depression in pregnancy

jl.

Reaction score
I don't want to drag on and for this to be long winded but is anyone else suffering from depression in pregnancy?

I got referred to a psychiatrist who put me on anti-depressants.

I'm so scared that i'm not going to be able to get off them it's only been about a week so i don't feel the affects of them yet.

I hate leaving the house, I hate being in the company of anyone who my OH. I'm fine when i'm with him but i just feel like i can't go on, 7 weeks feels like the longest time ever and this pregnancy seems never ending.
:cry:

Hey :hugs:
I know for a fact that antidepressants take over a week to work. I have been on a range of medication for depression and anxiety. which medication are you on if you do not mind me asking as I could give you an idea of how long they will take to kick in

I take effexor for depression and borderline personality disorder and obviously my anxiety and fear of birth has increased since being pregnant even though I am only in my first trimester. You have done really well to make it to the third trimester without needing meds and honestly they will start working for you after about three weeks :)
Also since you may be at higher risk for PND then its best to stay on your medication throughout birth and post partum care just to be safe :D

:hugs:

Thank you, I've had to take early maternity leave from my work cause I've been ill with hyperemesis throughout my pregnancy.

I hate that my OH can't be with me all the time, I feel so lonely and down and i hate getting up out of bed. I'm scared i'm going to feel like this when my little one gets here.

I'm on fluoxetine at the moment.

x

Hi hun, I had depression before pregnancy so I don't know if it is the same.

I tried to be cocky and came off the anti-depresents between 12 weeks and 27 weeks pregnant and I just sunk lower and lower and lower. I am now back on them and it will be more then 3 weeks before they kick in. I have good days and bad days, every day is different and I am lucky I have Chris for support when I need those 'pick me up' days. And lil' Harvey kicking away trying to make his mummy smile.

I would just say hun focus on what is coming, not what is currently happening. It's hard, by God I know it is hard... but try and surround yourself with people that care and love you.

Ever need to talk feel free to PM me... I am on Fluoxatine also. xx

Hi hun, I had depression before pregnancy so I don't know if it is the same.

I tried to be cocky and came off the anti-depresents between 12 weeks and 27 weeks pregnant and I just sunk lower and lower and lower. I am now back on them and it will be more then 3 weeks before they kick in. I have good days and bad days, every day is different and I am lucky I have Chris for support when I need those 'pick me up' days. And lil' Harvey kicking away trying to make his mummy smile.

I would just say hun focus on what is coming, not what is currently happening. It's hard, by God I know it is hard... but try and surround yourself with people that care and love you.

Ever need to talk feel free to PM me... I am on Fluoxatine also. xx

Thank you, i try my best to keep myself occupied but without work it's so hard as my OH still works and he works long hours and we don't currently live together. We are looking to get somewhere next year :)

How do you find fluoxatine?
I've never had depression before - strange that i have it during pregnant, I'm only 20 years old and don't feel i have anything to be depressed about - apart from being constantly ill.

Hope you are okay, thanks for your comment :hugs:

fluoxetine if this helps is one of the safest antidepressants to take during pregnancy and lactation so breastfeeding is also fine on it. My friend nichole is on fluoxetine and has been for two out of three pregnancies and her little ones are gorgeous and she has managed to cope with the Post partun anxiety and depression much better than she did before being on medication the first time round.

I think they will start working for you really soon
I was on them as a teenager and they helped ease my depression and I slept well on them too but they tended to increase my appetite which is perfect for pregnancy but not for non pregnancy. Some women find they are able to lose weight on them after giving birth because they increase your energy levels. Remember to keep in regular contact with your doctor. It may help to write down a day by day account of what you are feeling mentally and physically since being on them too so you can show your GP your notes and they can see how well they are working for you. Side effect wise these are a mixed bag, they had minimal side effects for me and you might find they are good especially if you have been on them a week already and have not noticed anything yet.

fluoxetine is basically the generic form of prozac :D

fluoxetine if this helps is one of the safest antidepressants to take during pregnancy and lactation so breastfeeding is also fine on it. My friend nichole is on fluoxetine and has been for two out of three pregnancies and her little ones are gorgeous and she has managed to cope with the Post partun anxiety and depression much better than she did before being on medication the first time round.

I think they will start working for you really soon
I was on them as a teenager and they helped ease my depression and I slept well on them too but they tended to increase my appetite which is perfect for pregnancy but not for non pregnancy. Some women find they are able to lose weight on them after giving birth because they increase your energy levels. Remember to keep in regular contact with your doctor. It may help to write down a day by day account of what you are feeling mentally and physically since being on them too so you can show your GP your notes and they can see how well they are working for you. Side effect wise these are a mixed bag, they had minimal side effects for me and you might find they are good especially if you have been on them a week already and have not noticed anything yet.

fluoxetine is basically the generic form of prozac :D

Thank you! Well my appetite is terrible anyway due to my hyperemsis and i'm on anti-sickness tablets everyday - the only thing i have noticed is just feeling abit more sick but it's just like morning sickness which I have most days anyway so it's bearable! Hopefully they will kick in soon and I can get excited about my little boy. I can't wait to meet him
I might do that - keep a note of how things are going.
They did say they were safe for the baby so that takes a little bit of pressure off.
Thanks alot for your help!

I have anxiety and sligght OCD- my Dr wants to put me on meds in the next few weeks, becuase I am at a high risk for PPD. I hate taking any thing, but I know I need them to be the best mother to my son. It DOES take 3 weeks to a month for them to be fully effective so dont be dicouraged they arent working. Give it some time. Everything will work out. GOOD LUCK!

Hi. I've not had this but have looked after women with it. Fluoxetine is the safest antidepressant in pregnancy and nto known to cause any problems. It can take a while to kick in and during the first 2 weeks you can feel a bit more sick, but that settles. The other good thing about fluoxetine is that your body breaks it down slowly, that means when you are better (and it's usually recommended that you take it for at least 6 months, even if you are feeling great) you can bring the dose down gradually and there won't be any withdrawal symptoms, getting addicted really isn't a problem with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->