Developmental disorders/learning disabilities/genetic syndromes & more support group

We have the walk in clinics here to. They are usually called urgent care clinics. We have used them with DD during the transition period between her first pediatrician (that I didn't trust) up until just a few weeks ago when we joined the Continuity Clinic with Dr. C. The walk ins/ urgent care give out antibiotics pretty easily and the regular pediatricians hate that. :haha:

It's a hassle most of the time. All the good docs are sooooo overworked here. Most places have teaching obligations, any bigger hospitals or clinics affiliated with a University. So 9/10 times you see a student first then the doc will come re examine and everyone discusses treatment....to get "special attention" or thorough care, you basically have to pull someones heartstrings and hope they actually give a shit.

happy New Years Ladies! Hope every one has a safe and happy end to 2013, and all the best for 2014

Happy New Year.
Hope 2014 is good for everyone; babies safely delivered; questions answered; schools successfully allocated; etc.

Velcro comes in 4 inch wide rolls here, I find ebay the cheapest place so maybe it is the same in the States...

Oh ladies I am so excited... we've put a deposit down for our first family holiday (butlins minehead) and we go at the end of march!! We're going with 2 friends and their son so it will be a wonderful time. I'm making lists and lists and buying luggage and all sorts :rofl:

sooooooooooo... my MIL bought my 14 month old a walkie-talkie for Christmas to 'teach' Alex to speak and cure his autism.

LOVELY eh. A bit flabbergasted, didn't know what to say.

Alert the medical community! A cure for autism! Seriously!

Oh ladies I am so excited... we've put a deposit down for our first family holiday (butlins minehead) and we go at the end of march!! We're going with 2 friends and their son so it will be a wonderful time. I'm making lists and lists and buying luggage and all sorts :rofl:

Very exciting :)

I've been to Minehead. If Thomas likes trains make sure you take him on the steam train that goes from Minehead. I took Daniel a couple of years ago-it wasn't too bad a price and he loved it.

I tried to pre book it online but the week we go the steam railway isn't running :(

Oh that's a shame :(
I didn't know you could pre book the tickets.

Well today Esther counted from 1-8 a couple of times without getting any mixed up. She also then said numbers 9-20 (not clearly!) by repeating them after me. She then 'counted' the berries on a bush although she pointed at the same one a couple of times so I don't think she's quite got the concept of what counting really means yet.
I find it really odd that she can say 1-8 but when she's talking she can't put more than 2 or 3 words together.

When do you go Sarah? I am sure we had a flyer through about a gala the last weekend of March and they run stuff every weekend. This is the timetable we were emailed a few weeks back (my Dad is a volunteer on another steam railway so we get timetables for them all!)https://westsomersetrailway.vticket.co.uk/calendar.php

Thanks Moggy. We go on the week commencing the 31st March and the trains aren't running. Unfortunately we'll have just missed the gala.

If you are there the Saturday they run then...there is a turntable too where they turn the engine and you can watch, my boys were fascinated :)

Unfortunately we won't be going up until Monday and coming back on Friday - sucks! We are going to Bristol Zoo on the way back though :)

Ahhhh I'd LOVE to go to Butlins, I used to go there as a child!
I always forget to pop in here, sorry i missed the xmas wishes :rofl:
Happy new year ladies, I hope it is one full of new milestones for us all.

Christmas has been pretty bizarre for us. We decided to give Alex the chance to potty train over Xmas. I didn't expect her to do so well. A few accident over the big days and now she has cracked it. Thing is we are pretty much house bound at the moment and it's not doing any of us favours. We have managed a trip to my grans and in laws but she stayed dry the whole time. I know 100% its impossible to take a trip anywhere without a meltdown at the public bathrooms. We could barely get her in the toilets to change her nappy without an all out nightmare, we'd try changing in the car where we could.

So we are stumped really. Lack of speech in that department.

However she is vocalising more. I can sometimes get her to copy a word, although it might come out utterly different to what the word actually is. Othertimes I hear her mumble jibberish and then hear a word in amongst that

I've heard her try and count to 20, I've heard her try count to 10 before (the words again arent always the same as English or anywhere near it but I know what they are) and then one day she just went into the teens and I was like, er.......what? :rofl:

Theres progress. And thats amazeballs. Theres echolalia there too, but sod it, thats amazeballs as well , we can work with that.

As for the sound machine we're using I dont think its made much difference :( Shes putting her hands over her ears a lot still, nothings changed. i have booked Cbeebies Live and typically - its theme is Big Band :dohh:

Even if we just get to see Mr Tumble I'd be happy, but the closer it comes in the more likely I just wanna sell the tickets. I'm frightened it'll terrify her. I've never ever taken the girls to a show, even at the Fringe, its been too scary (for me:rofl:)

OMG well done Alex! That's a serious milestone I bet you're so proud :D

I'd be afraid to go to cbeebies too, I suppose the upside is at least you can leave if it goes wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->