Did anyone have an elective section?

DonnaBallona

newlyweds!
Reaction score
I figured this was the best place to post seeing as you all clearly have had your babies!! :winkwink:

It is looking very likely that I will have to have an elective section in April.

Im just wondering what sort of questions I should ask at my consultant appointment next time I go, and about what? I had a section with Brooke but under General Anesthetic due to severe pre eclampsia, but obviously it was an emergency so I have no idea what happened.

If anyone knows the actual procedure beforehand then Id love to hear that too!

Positive stories please ladies :winkwink:

I had an elective section and never really spoke to my consultant about it, all my questions and questions I had to answer were with the anesthetist. I had a very, very positive experience and I wrote about it in my journal (link in sig) if you want a read (I won't repost here as it's very long!).

well i sort of had an elective section because eden was 9 days over and i was only 1cm dilated and had been that way for over 10 days!

so when the doctor suggested c-section i nearly kissed the face of her!!

ive had an emergency c-section aswell 14 years ago (i also had pre-eclampsia) and believe me its a totally different experience. mine was just 5 months ago now, it was very relaxed, about 8 doctors, nurses and students walking around the room gabbing about everyday things. The radio was playing in the back ground, i was talking to the student about what music i was into and what concerts i had been too lately while the spinal block was being put it in. Everyone was lovely and made me and OH feel so relaxed.

as for asking questions before hand i was just worrying about how numb my legs would be and how long would it take b4 i could feel them again. I turned out my legs where totally numb and couldnt feel needles being put in them for a few hours which i was terrified about but it didnt really bother me at the time cos there was just so much goin on around me for a few hours after.

one thing tho i was sooooooooo tired after it, all the morphine really knocks you out so i just wanted OH and my mum to go home and leave me to sleep.

its really not as bad as an emergency c-section so try not to think that you will feel the same after this one, with my first i was in hospital for 2 weeks after but this time i had the baby on friday and was home on sunday!

goodluck :hugs:

I had an elective c-section in June. I chose to be put under though. They had to remove an ovary and tube, plus tie up the other...just didnt want to be awake fot all that. Im not much help, but wanted to say good luck!

I had an elective with Katie, was very serene.

I went down at 6.30 am to be sorted for my GD.

At 8.40am i was taken to theatre, was given my spinal and at 09:22 she was born.

I was stitched up (i actually fell asleep while they did this) and was back in Dellivery at 10.45 and was back on Post natal at 5pm.

All my consultant did before hand was make sure i was ok and calm.

I have had a 10lb delivered naturally, a breech delivery and a section. If i had another i would def have a section again.

V xxxx

I had an elective section as LO was breech. It was only decided a few days before hand so I didn't have a whole lot of time to think about it. The whole thing was so calm... the actual operation took about 45 minutes, but the baby was out within about 10 and the rest of the time was just putting me back together. I had a spinal anaesthetic and was awake the whole time - you can feel things moving around down there, but not pain. I was alert and not at all drowsy afterwards. The midwife got me out of bed 24 hours later and I was a bit woosy but ok. I left the hospital 4 days later and have been fine since!

Good luck...

Sorry I am erm.. chatty, but here is all I remember!

I had an emergency c-section with Elyse so I can't say much about anesthesia, as they did that all through the epidural and IV I already had started from labour.. I was very alert but after they told me I was going to have to have a c-section they really numbed me up because my contractions were so painful, not sure if that is hindering my ability to remember what the doctor was telling me about this or that lol.. also had a catheter in until 12 hours post op.

Epidural, I don't remember being in any pain from it really. Well a bit, but not too much. It hurt more for my OH to watch because they made sure I didn't even see the needle - he said it was big though.

When they first wheeled me to the OR, they transferred me from the hospital bed to the operating table. Funny I remember feeling like I was going to fall off as it's such a narrow table! They put the screen up and probably washed my belly but I can't remember, all I remember for the first 10-15 mins was the anesthesiologist explaining that the goal was to numb me up to my armpits, and if the first drug didn't get the job done, they had another ready to go that would definitely do it. Then he kept talking to me waiting for it to kick in and testing to see if I was ready to go.

It's a weird feeling, I could feel people touching my legs and was SURE I was going to be like on those TV shows you see where the anesthestic fails and the patient can feel everything.. but nope, felt nothing! I didn't even know they had started because the anesthesiologist kept talking to me and then my OH came in (poor OH came in AFTER the surgery started as he was changing into his "scrubs" and washing up and they didn't wait for him :lol: so he saw some unpleasant stuff)

Within a minute I think I felt this pressure and pulling sensation- it was the surgeon (I believe 2- one resident one OBGYN then a few nurses and the anesthesiologist were there) moving things around and delivering the baby, it took longer than normal due to the fact I pushed 2.5 hours but they had her out really fast, then it felt like it took them forever to put me back together but in actuality Elyse was born at 1:34pm and I was in the recovery room with her across the hall before 2pm.

Before I was able to see Elyse in the operating room they cleaned her up, weighed her, and a pediatrician checked her out (believe she had her Apgars done), but I got to see her I think 5 mins after she was born, all swaddled up in a blanket OH actually got to bring her up by my head (he had a chair beside my head and was able to hold my hand during the surgery). She didn't cry the second she was out so I was afraid she was stillborn and I teared up waiting for a cry, but apparently it's common w/ a c-section for them to not cry right away? Of course I couldn't hold her right away but I saw her and cried.

The anesthesiologist asked if we had brought a camera because he'd take a photo of us all, we didn't know we could bring one in though- they had OH take off all of his jewelry etc before entering as it's a sterile environment, but he said next time to bring the camera.. so I would check if they let you do that at your hospital!

In the recovery room, basically was in the bed and they gave me the opportunity to breastfeed (though I didn't BF, so they gave me formula) and to have skin-to-skin contact. They had a nurse supervise me & baby for 1 hour and in addition to my OH, my mom, sister, best friend, and his mother were allowed into the room to see us. There was a phone in the room and I called my other best friend to tell her the news but got her voice mail, when she replayed the message for me later I sound like a drunken bafoon! :lol:

More doctors checked over the baby and me and they took me up to the maternity ward by 3pm! :)

As for afterwards, they really encourage you to get up and walk around as soon as you can, a nurse got me out of bed at 1-2am (12hrs after delivery) and removed my catheter and checked out my lochia and got me up walking a bit, it was sore but it's important to get up rather than laying around for days.. 3 night hospital stay, nurses checked on me 2x per shift so 4x per day.. obstetrics/gyno resident came in to check my incision and see how I was doing once daily..

I would 100% have a c-section again, and I am so happy my next will be a scheduled c-section and I know what to expect next time around. I loved being awake and aware of what was happening, and would not like to have it any other way for any future births!

I had an emergency c section also but knew for 3 weeks Matthew might be out early. It was decided at rounds at 9am he was coming today and theatre booked for 3.30pm, the nurse helped me shower, shaved my pubic area and suggested she get the cathater in early just in case there was any complications and needed to go into theatre early.

When the time came, the aneastatist came for a chat and told me what to expect although a second aneastist came in to let me know the plan changed and Id need a full spinal block with an epidural catheter in case it needed topped in (only as I was 7 weeks early and baby so high up they could not guarantee an epidural alone would work).

Theatre was busy not not overwhelming and everyone chatting away about every day stuff. The midwife who was on with me all day stayed through the whole thing. The spinal block initially did not hurt just felt like pressure (as if someone was prodding me with their thumb) but it did take 3 times as first 2 were done by a student!

The procedure itself was quick I could feel the Dr rooting around for a bit and a tugging sensation, they explained it may be more uncomfortable than a full term section as baby was higher up so they had to dig deeper :dohh:

Recovery was quick ans relatively pain free for me, I suffered bowel cramps for 5 days tho that were severe and needed several pain shots I was told this was just as bowel gets pulled asise but as it turned out I had a severe reaction to the iron tablets and was fine as soon as these stopped.

I would def elect for a section again even if there was not a risk (which girls in our situation sadly risk again :cry:)

excuse the poor spelling Matthew climbing all over me here haha xx

I went into labour the night before so I didnt quite have the experience that I wasexpecting, lol. I did go to the preclark and have a steroid shot (because he was coming a bit early) and the anaesthetist gave me a leaflet and answered some questions but I was more concerned that I wouldnt get the music I wanted playing because I was terrified he'd be delivered to some radio 1 junk like my friends was, it was done without music in the end. He was poorly so I wasn't allowed and skin to skin or anything :(

Thanks for all the replies ladies, Im mucho grateful for them, they've really put my mind at rest a little.

well i sort of had an elective section because eden was 9 days over and i was only 1cm dilated and had been that way for over 10 days!

so when the doctor suggested c-section i nearly kissed the face of her!!

ive had an emergency c-section aswell 14 years ago (i also had pre-eclampsia) and believe me its a totally different experience. mine was just 5 months ago now, it was very relaxed, about 8 doctors, nurses and students walking around the room gabbing about everyday things. The radio was playing in the back ground, i was talking to the student about what music i was into and what concerts i had been too lately while the spinal block was being put it in. Everyone was lovely and made me and OH feel so relaxed.

as for asking questions before hand i was just worrying about how numb my legs would be and how long would it take b4 i could feel them again. I turned out my legs where totally numb and couldnt feel needles being put in them for a few hours which i was terrified about but it didnt really bother me at the time cos there was just so much goin on around me for a few hours after.

one thing tho i was sooooooooo tired after it, all the morphine really knocks you out so i just wanted OH and my mum to go home and leave me to sleep.

its really not as bad as an emergency c-section so try not to think that you will feel the same after this one, with my first i was in hospital for 2 weeks after but this time i had the baby on friday and was home on sunday!

goodluck :hugs:

Nikkip75, Im soooooooo happy to hear that it'll feel different from my crash section. . . .I woke up in intensive care on a ventilator last time, and OBVIOUSLY felt a bit rubbish-so to hear that it wont be the same is so relieving to hear.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. xx

I also had a C-section after my induction didn't work and the doctors wanted LO out as they suspected she's in some sort of stress, but not quite emergency C-section, as vit was already a possibility at the start of the induction.

I had an enema first, which was not bad at all, though I expected it to be. Afterwards, I got the spinal block. Then came the efforts of induction, when that failed, after 8 hours it was decided that a C-section will be done.

I got prepped, which was shaving a bit the top of the pubic area, getting measured for compression stockings, which they put on. They rolled me into the theater, where the anaesthesiologist upped the drugs in my spinal. In the meantime they put up the screen and my abdomen was rubbed with something to sterilise it. Finally OH was let in - he had to scrub in. There were 4 doctors - the gyneacologist, a surgeon, a peaditrician and the anesthesiologist and a couple of midwifes and a student midwife (she asked if she could come in though).

I had the anesthesiologist and OH, plus a MW at my head. They were talking to me so I wouldn't panic. I felt tugging at my abdomen but no pain whatsoever. Baby was out in 10 mins, though they took her aside, so I didn't see her. Sent OH to check. Afterwards, I also sent the MW to check on her. She came back saying that the baby is fine. OH finally came back with her and put her on my chest,while I was still being stitched up. It took about another 30 mins. After that the baby, OH and me were rolled into a little room for some bonding time, before we got transferred to the maternity ward.

THe worst thing was that I wasn't allowed water before or after the operation, so my mouth was totally parcher. One of the doctors though sprayed some water in my mouth.

THe next day I had to stay in bed the whole day, which sucked, though I was still cuddling with LO and BFing her.

The next morning, I got up, went for a shower and walked around without much problems. I also had a physiotherapist come in, who started me on exercises to get circulation back and to tighten abdomen. I had no pain, but I got some pain medication.

I got some laxatives on the 2nd day to help things move (tmi)... We were let home from the hospital on the 5th day (this is the length of a normal hospital stay in Belgium). I had to go back on the 7th day to have the staples removed, which was absolutely painless too.

So overall very good experience, had some bad gas pains on the 2nd week, but they went after 2-3 days.

Good luck with your C-section!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->