• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Did you smoke during a pregnancy?

I used to smoke about 5 a day and when I was pregnant with my first I actually did not know I was pregnant for 3 months as I was still having periods as soon as I found out I was pregnant i quit immediately the guilt alone made me feel sick the thought of smoking whilst carrying a baby. Everyone is different but there should be more support from midwives and GPs as some people cant just quit they need extra support x

people probably arent going to like what i say but please just bear in mind this isnt my opinion just what i have seen. Everyone in my family who smoke has continued to do so in pregnancy, i am a non smoker and i had the smallest baby at 6lb 3oz, the smokers babies were all 8-10lbs. When my mum was having me she was outside the labour ward having a cigarette WITH the midwives, ive never had a health problem, never been in hospital other than to have my children. My uncle has bad asthma (his mum doesnt and never has smoked, neither does he) and his doctor recommended injections of a nicotine based solution to help with breathing! If you think back to when everyone smoked heavily in pregnancy ie the 50's and 60's there were no more small babies/stillbirths/miscarriages than there are now

I never smoked my son was 5lb 13 and spent 10 days in special care with on going health problems, my sister and friends who were pregnant at the same time as me all smoked all there babies were 8lb + I do not agree with smoking whilst pregnant but completely agree with your comment x

Whatever experience people have of 'my mum smoked but I was okay' 'my gran smoked never harmed my mum' There is NO justification for smoking whilst pregnant. It is harmful, they were just lucky.

It's like saying you drank 20 shots of vodka then drunk drove, but didn't kill anyone. It's playing Russian roulette with a babies life. Luck.

Why do some people smoke 60 cigs a day and live until they are 80? Genetics and luck. Would you stick a light cig in your babies mouth? No, but all the crap from cigs crosses the placenta, so you technically are.

My aunt smoked very heavily during both her pregnancies, her son was born perfectly healthy.

Her daughter was born full term but with a smaller birth weight (5 pounds 6 oz). She had to go into the NICU right away because she wasn't getting enough oxygen, and a little while after she came home she was diagnosed with asthma. She was hospitalized about twice a year until she was three because she couldn't breathe. She had to have breathing treatments once a day (twice on bad days, mostly in the summer though) and carried an inhaler with her (she rarely used the inhaler though, just if she got to close to any smoke, not just cigarettes) until around her 5th birthday..that winter the doctors had her taken off the treatments but with a humidifier in the room and nobody could smoke around her. During the summer she still needed the treatments until right before her tenth birthday, and now she has pretty much grown out of it unless the room is really dry or shes around smoke, but she doesn't require an inhaler she just moves away from the person smoking/grill/bonfire smoke. She's now 13 and is still small for her age, probably a full foot under her peers and has almost no weight on her at all, although that could just be her, she's a picky eater. She also matured faster and started her period at 9 although it could be unrelated. Everything she went through could have been completely unrelated to her mother smoking, or it could have been everything to do with it..you just never know.

Sorry for any typos/anything that doesn't make sense I'm on my iPad!

Also a funny story, my mom smoked all of our lives (started after she had us) and my sister was her mini me..she decided she wanted to smoke too..and started trying to get into the cigarettes and ashtrays any chance she got. Finally my mom lit one and gave it to her and she gagged and choked and to this day at 20 she can't stand to be around them.

My aunt also smokes and her daughter did the same thing my sister did, my mom gave her her advice based on her own experience with my sister and my aunt followed, my then 3 year old cousin took a big puff and said "oh man mama I like this!" My aunt could have killed my mom. She's 13 now and can't stand to be around them either :shrug:

I'll admit - I've smoked a few cigarettes while pregnant - do I like it? No, but pre-pregnancy I was a pack a day (if not more) smoker. Most of the time it's been when I've been at work for 8+ hours and literally was stressed out to the max.

Because everyone else is being open and honest - I usually avoid posting in these things for the reason that I don't think it's anyones place to tell anyone what to do during their pregnancy. If you don't smoke, awesome. Good for you, I'm glad you're strong enough to not smoke as some people just aren't strong enough to quit. If you quit right away after getting your BFP, awesome. That doesn't give you any right to point fingers at women who smoke during their pregnancy. It's not enough that the mother probably feels guilt, but then you've got the people who try to make other women feel TERRIBLE. We all have "oops" moments during pregnancy, and honestly? It's not your place to tell someone their a HORRIBLE mom/person for making a different pregnancy "oops" than yours.

Now - on to my story. My mom has smoked since she was about 14 years old. When she got pregnant, she did cut back - but didn't quit entirely. My sister was born 2 days before her due date weighing nearly 9 lbs. When she got pregnant with me, she again - cut back, but didn't quit entirely. I was born at 36, almost 37 weeks weighing 6 lbs. I think everyone's different.

I am surprised that 40% of pregnant women smoke, since to my knowledge the amount of people that smoke as a whole is less than 40% (I could be wrong though).

I have smoked throughout this pregnancy but have cut down from 20-30 a day to 7-8 a day. I know, it is still bad and puts my baby at risk of countless problems but I can't give it up completely and to this point (39 weeks) I have had no problems and my midwife is delighted with how things are progressing.

I know you should quit and believe me if I had the will power I would, but it is wrong to say that any pregnant woman that smokes is a bad person and will cause her baby harm.

This is purely my opinion, but I think having half a pack of cigarettes a day and being calm is far better for your unborn child than cutting it out completely and being stressed because of the withdrawal.

Our fertility clinic had a notice up this week saying that where either partner smokes the couple won't be put on a waiting list for treatment. They also had stats up saying how it affects your fertility so I think basically they are focusing funding on those who have the best chance of a full term live birth.

Tbh anecdotes shouldn't be used to make life decisions, there will always be the 90 year old who smoked 40 a day and drank a pint of gin but at the end of the day scientific and medical fact shows an increased risk.

If people choose on the basis of fact to still smoke that's their decision but there's no point pretending it will be ok because the postmans friends wife had a 10 pounder.

Some friends of the family HEAVILY smoked throughout all pregnancies. Grandma smoked through hers with the mother's, mom smoked through her pregnancy with baby girl.

Baby girl was born missing all fingers and toes except the pinky one. Have you ever had a six year old girl ask to play dolls with you when you are a teenager and then watch as the poor thing has to pick everything up with 2 hands and only one pinky finger on each? In addition to that the mom died at 34 suddenly because of a brain tumor. Was it from a lifetime of smoking? Maybe due to the grandma smoking while pregnant with the mom? Who knows? All these wonderful stories of mother's smoking while pregnant and having perfectly healthy babies, I figured I ought to share the other side.

I was a smoker before I got pregnant with DD and the day before my positive test was the last day I had one. Started smoking 1-2 in the evenings again when she was about 10 months old, and then just got a BFP a week ago. The day before that was my last smoke.

When you smoke while pregnant it is truly a gamble with your child's life. Smoking has been proven to increase miscarriage rates. Every time I think of that little girl playing with her dolls held only with the two fingers she was born with, that's enough to scare any craving out of me.

Personally I quit smoking and drinking the second I got my positive pregnancy test- but i know other people who have had babies with no reported problems to date. My mum smoked when she was pregnant with me and my sister (we are twins) but didn't with my brother- and he was the one who suffered from terrible asthma and smoked for from sixteen until last year when he died- just over 6 years.

I dont see my mum anymore so her smoking is the least of my worries, but my Dad does and will naturally spend a lot of time with his grandchildren- i'm certainly not going to stop him because of the increased (not definite) risk of my babies having respiratory problems and them smoking themselves at a later age. That could happen anyway surely?!

Personally I quit smoking and drinking the second I got my positive pregnancy test- but i know other people who have had babies with no reported problems to date. My mum smoked when she was pregnant with me and my sister (we are twins) but didn't with my brother- and he was the one who suffered from terrible asthma and smoked for from sixteen until last year when he died- just over 6 years.

I dont see my mum anymore so her smoking is the least of my worries, but my Dad does and will naturally spend a lot of time with his grandchildren- i'm certainly not going to stop him because of the increased (not definite) risk of my babies having respiratory problems and them smoking themselves at a later age. That could happen anyway surely?!

You're not going to stop him smoking around your children?

Not only are there proven physical effects of second hand smoke, but it's also disgusting to smell and breathe in. I don't think children should be around smoke at all, in utero or out.

Not only are there proven physical effects of second hand smoke, but it's also disgusting to smell and breathe in. I don't think children should be around smoke at all, in utero or out.
So let me ask you this - are YOU going to prevent your children from being around cars? Because exhaust fumes have been proven to be as dangerous, if not MORE dangerous than second hand cigarette smoke.

So let me ask you this - are YOU going to prevent your children from being around cars? Because exhaust fumes have been proven to be as dangerous, if not MORE dangerous than second hand cigarette smoke.

I won't be letting anyone drive through our house any more than I'll be letting them smoke in our house? Surely most of avoiding exhaust fumes is common sense, avoid roads with heavy traffic, don't stand near the back of a bus when it parks. I tend to avoid using a pram in favour of baby wearing and when I do its a reasonably high pram which is parent facing so reduces the immediate exposure of exhaust fumes.

Sure, if you stand in a closed garage and smoke 20 cigarettes you will come out better off than if you stand in a closed garage and leave the car running. But I fail to see how you can justify taking an avoidable risk like smoking cigarettes around children/ during pregnancy with an mostly unavoidable risk like air pollution from traffic. That's an insane argument. Its like saying its ok to Drink and Drive because Squirrels running out in the road also cause car accidents!!!!

My FIL smokes and as soon as he sees us pull up he puts out his cigarette and won't light one up until we're inside the house. He smokes outdoor but even f he smoked inside he'd never do it around a kid. It's common courtesy to put out your cigarettes when there's kids or infants around. In fact here in California it's illegal to smoke in a car that has a minor in it.

:dohh:

I have to say I hate when someone who has been smoking cuddles a baby/child and then hands them back reeking of second hand smoke :sick:

Even as a child I remember my grandparents fingers being yellow and thinking their hands were dirty.

I have to say I hate when someone who has been smoking cuddles a baby/child and then hands them back reeking of second hand smoke :sick:

Even as a child I remember my grandparents fingers being yellow and thinking their hands were dirty.

I agree. My parents smoke a lot and I'm dreading them holding the baby and making baby stink of cigarettes. I'm trying to find a realistic and non offensive way of dealing with that but have so far been unsuccessful :(

It's more than just the smell and toxins though. My only memories of one of my grandads is being freaked out by him because he had no legs (smoking related - he had to have his legs removed) and he stank and had the yellowest fingers ever. I'm terrified that my baby will have similar memories of his/her grandad :(

Well for one, I won't be holding her up to exhaust pipes so she won't be actually breathing in smoke, in an enclosed space like a house.

Secondly, I can't avoid exhaust fumes unless I A) never leave the house again and get my flat vacuum packed to avoid fumes getting in or B) find some way of banishing every single vehicle off the road.

As neither of these options are realistic, I'll just stick to asking people not to smoke around me while pregnant or my daughter when she's here, leaving the room/house if they won't comply, and not smoking myself.

I quit when I found out I was pregnant with my first. I had one the night before I got bfp but purely because I panicked coz I knew I was pregnant. I also knew I would quit and need that one last one. I didn't smoke at all till I went on a night out when lo was one (obv lo not there) I had a few (not loads but one every so often if I was out at night or had got really stressed at work and needed 5 it was never ever round lo and always hours before i would see him) I had 1 about 1-2 weeks before finding out I'm pregnant. Again I would never smoke whilst pregnant. Tbh I miss smoking but not being a smoker is the best decision I ever made. I was on around 15 a day at one point. I think of the money that we can now spend on lo. Health. Everything. My oh quit too, it took him about 3-4 months after I quit when pregnant with lo. He always stayed away from me, I knew he would quit and I figured giving him space for a while would work. It did and he quit and oh has probably had 2(?) since.. Again completely away from lo (he had a cigar on a stag do eg) we both miss it but what doesn't start the habit again is knowing that we have fully benefitted our family. It was hard to quit for both of us, we weren't the normal smoker type, we were both fully fledged addicts.
Oh mum smokes.. It does worry me when she holds lo and clearly smells but I also think that time is quite ltd so I don't think it will have a negative affect on lo. I would never have lo in a house that smokes or have people smoke in lo vacinity. As far as I'm aware in it common courtesy to not smoke around children. I have never had any issues with the above tho. Smokers outside stay away from my lo and I don't know anyone who smokes in their house. (I never ever smoked in the house)

I will probably offend a lot of people here but it's all about opinion right?!

I think it's disgusting that women still smoke when pregnant. The "well I know so and so who smoked whilst pregnant and was fine". Just because they're fine, doesn't mean you and you're unborn child will be. I can't stand the "it'll never happen to me approach" when it comes down to something like this where it is scientifically proven smoking can cause damage. Do you think they just do it all for a laugh and put out these facts for no reason?! When your child is born will you blow smoke into their little faces? Just because you can't physically see your child it does not mean you aren't having the same effect.

The "I can't give up" excuse doesn't wash with me. You're talking about your unborn helpless baby!!!! Surely THAT alone is enough to give up????
It really really angers me that you would pollute your child before they have even come into this world. It is so selfish. The people who are saying "you shouldn't make us feel bad". We're not making you feel bad, you clearly feel that of your own accord by knowing what you're doing is wrong. We're just reminding you exactly of what YOU are doing to your baby. That's like being an alcoholic and blaming them for feeling bad because they've reminded you what you're doing to your body. The only guilt is from yourself, don't try and make it out like it's other people.

As for the car fume comment, that is just beyond me. Last time I checked smoking was YOUR choice, that's like the equivalent of holding your baby in front of an exhaust pipe.

My friend smoked during her pregnancy and "couldn't quit". Her baby was born at 28 weeks and has been recently diagnosed with cerebral palsy due to coming early. She won't walk, she can't crawl, she can't sit unaided. I'm not saying this was 100% caused by smoking, but I think it plays a huge factor.

There are so many babies born with problems that have occurred naturally and just "one of those things", to think you could potentially pollute a perfectly healthy baby just because you find it "too hard to quit" is disgraceful and no matter what excuses you come up with there will never be a valid reason.

Rant over.

Both of my sisters smoke. I dont recall if the oldest one quit while pregnant but thankfully both her kids were born normal weight although she had a traumatic birth with my nephew.

My younger sister smoked all throughout her first pregnancy and has cut down as far as I know this time around. My niece was born happy and healthy despite my sister smoking cigs daily (and who knows what else!)

personally tried smoking during a rebellious streak but didn't like it. If I had liked it or became addicted I would have quit upon finding out I was pregnant.

Each women has their own opinion and will do as she chooses. I find it yucky.

My sisters, OH's dad who smokes, and anyone else who smokes, won't be holding my newborn if they smell like smoke or have had one recently - it gives me a headache and sore throat when they smoke - what is it doing to a newborn?! My daughter will also not be going into their houses because they smoke inside. If either are in my car the will not smoke. I may sound picky and they may find it rude and hurtful but I'm not risking my daughters health for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->