• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Did you smoke during a pregnancy?

Both of my sisters smoke. I dont recall if the oldest one quit while pregnant but thankfully both her kids were born normal weight although she had a traumatic birth with my nephew.

My younger sister smoked all throughout her first pregnancy and has cut down as far as I know this time around. My niece was born happy and healthy despite my sister smoking cigs daily (and who knows what else!)

personally tried smoking during a rebellious streak but didn't like it. If I had liked it or became addicted I would have quit upon finding out I was pregnant.

Each women has their own opinion and will do as she chooses. I find it yucky.

My sisters, OH's dad who smokes, and anyone else who smokes, won't be holding my newborn if they smell like smoke or have had one recently - it gives me a headache and sore throat when they smoke - what is it doing to a newborn?! My daughter will also not be going into their houses because they smoke inside. If either are in my car the will not smoke. I may sound picky and they may find it rude and hurtful but I'm not risking my daughters health for them.

Firstly, I saw in your signature that you just got engaged? Huge congrats!

Secondly, I completely agree with your baby not being held by a smoker who smells of cigarettes and I agree with you not bringing baby into their house which they smoke in. But I want to ask you, how have you gotten this message across to the smokers and how have they taken it?

My parents are heavy smokers and I'm dreading them coming to the hospital, smoking outside and then coming in, holding my brand new baby and passing the stench on. They also keep joking about 'when' they'll be babysitting and in my head I'm thinking 'you think I'm going to allow my baby to stay in the house that you smoke in?'

I haven't even gone there yet because they're still reeling from my attitude towards them smoking near me now that I'm pregnant. I'm made out to be the worst person in the world for pointing out the dangers of second hand smoke to an unborn baby and I'm expected to suck it up and deal with it when I visit them. They don't actually smoke in the same room but they're only in the next room in a small house and I have told them that, not only do I get headaches and sore throats from it, but that whatever I ingest or breathe goes to baby. And that hasn't deterred them at all. They think I'm being 'OTT'. It really upsets me that they'd be so dismissive of my and my baby's health. :(

I haven't had that convo with them yet. I'm trying to figure out how! My sister is still upset I won't let her in the delivery room. We don't go to their house as much and I've told her countless times that the smell gives me a headache and sore throat and yet they still smoke inside when we are there. OH's dad doesn't smoke as much as them and usual smells like his yucky old man cologne so he won't be as much of an issue hopefully.

I'll keep you posted on how I break the news. :/

I haven't had that convo with them yet. I'm trying to figure out how! My sister is still upset I won't let her in the delivery room. We don't go to their house as much and I've told her countless times that the smell gives me a headache and sore throat and yet they still smoke inside when we are there. OH's dad doesn't smoke as much as them and usual smells like his yucky old man cologne so he won't be as much of an issue hopefully.

I'll keep you posted on how I break the news. :/

Best of luck with that conversation! It's awful that she can't respect or understand how much her smoking affects you. I get that it's her home but I think if my actions were making my visitors ill I'd have to rethink what I was doing.

I guess things are different everywhere, but in Australia its illegal to smoke in a car with children under 16.
And while lots of my friends and family smoke, I dont know of anyone who smokes inside their house. Everyone smokes outside. It's also illegal to smoke at train stations and bus stops.

They think I'm being 'OTT'. It really upsets me that they'd be so dismissive of my and my baby's health. :(

Unfortunately, I have 1st hand experience of this too. I'm sick and tired of having to be so vigilant about avoiding smoke! Most people are just lost in their own head and 'forget', or whatever. I don't mind too much as long as they're respectful when I politely ask them not to smoke around me.

However, I have a 'friend' whom I now see as an acquaintance. It's a crying shame, because we were extremely close before, and she was the LAST person I'd expect to do this.

Way back when I was about 7/8 weeks pregnant, she rolled up and was about to spark up in front of me. In an enclosed room. A living room. I asked her nicely if she would go outside. She told me no.

After several months of completely ignoring each other and then only hi/bye'ing in a house where we saw each other very often, we are on okay terms. She STILL tries to smoke in front of me :wacko:, I can't be bothered to argue so I just leave the room.

I don't understand why so dismissive of my baby's health either? :wacko:

They think I'm being 'OTT'. It really upsets me that they'd be so dismissive of my and my baby's health. :(

Unfortunately, I have 1st hand experience of this too. I'm sick and tired of having to be so vigilant about avoiding smoke! Most people are just lost in their own head and 'forget', or whatever. I don't mind too much as long as they're respectful when I politely ask them not to smoke around me.

However, I have a 'friend' whom I now see as an acquaintance. It's a crying shame, because we were extremely close before, and she was the LAST person I'd expect to do this.

Way back when I was about 7/8 weeks pregnant, she rolled up and was about to spark up in front of me. In an enclosed room. A living room. I asked her nicely if she would go outside. She told me no.

After several months of completely ignoring each other and then only hi/bye'ing in a house where we saw each other very often, we are on okay terms. She STILL tries to smoke in front of me :wacko:, I can't be bothered to argue so I just leave the room.

I don't understand why so dismissive of my baby's health either? :wacko:

Sorry to hear of your experience of this too. I can't believe how disrespectful some people can be! It's almost like your acquaintance is trying to prove a point actually. I think moving away from her was a wise decision. My brother is a bit like that - he'll smoke more around me just because he knows it bothers me. Then I wonder if they're just so entrenched in their addiction that they can't see the harm they're doing to others.

I'm going to be totally honest here now.....

With my first I was told by my parnter that I would quit but being 19 I wasn't going to be told what to do so I carried on but only a few a day. No problems at birth, weight was great, she a 11 year old and doing amazing in school

My second with my current partner and he said he would like me to quit but it's my choice, I managed to cut down to only 5 a day.
The cord was wrapped around twice and needed to be resuscitated but was told this had noting to do with smoking. He had a low birth weight but was told that was due to me having a weight problem myself.

With my third I went on to the electric ones and manged to quit about a month pregnant. She had a low birth weight and stopped breathing twice at birth and needed to be in the NICU also was told this was down to my eating problem and the medication I was on.

I quit as soon as I saw that pink second line. There and then. That was all the motivation I needed. I couldn't quite manage it when TTC, though I know I should have done. He had foetal distress during labour, if I'd smoked, I would have definitely blamed myself, so I'm soooo glad I quit.

I have heard somewhere around 40% of pregnant mothers have smoked at some point during a pregnancy. Seems like a lot considering I didn't thing 40% of people smoked.

If you did smoke, what were the problems that you faced afterwards with your baby?

I have smoked for all my pregnancies this includes my current which I will update if it had an effect. I didn't have any problems with my other two kids I tend to have tiny babies because I usually never gain and constantly lose weight even though I tend to constantly eat this time though I am currently 19 weeks today and have gained 11 pounds! My kids were born healthy and have not had any problems with either one! I will update in May providing I remember after this lo arrives! I posted about this also in another thread in this forum it's the confessions please before judging or criticizing or anything read that post I made because it offers a lot of insight into my situation. It's not so much I don't want to quit I do it's just merely impossible I have cut back during all of them though I was going through a pack a day easily now it's 1/4-1/5th pack a day which is 4-5 cigarettes a day also I smoke the 100's as they are longer which helps even more because I smoke a third of one put it out and finish another third later and so on and so forth.

Wantingabubba I can see where that would upset you I refuse to smoke around someone else who is pregnant I won't even smoke in someone's house or anything without asking first because you don't know what affect it could have on that person. My mom is allergic to the smoke and so my dad and I respect that by taking it outside. I do believe you had every right to feel the way you did because you know what it can do. I respect you for speaking your mind and things because that is not something I am personally good at.

I don't know how anyone could smoke even one cigarette when they've got a baby growing inside of them, it absolutely disgusts me. To run the risk of giving your baby any health complications is totally irresponsible and unforgiveable. I did everything by the book in my pregnancy, for the well being of my son, and he was born with a hand deformity. It sickens me that some women just don't give a shit yet get away with it scott free.

I don't know how anyone could smoke even one cigarette when they've got a baby growing inside of them, it absolutely disgusts me. To run the risk of giving your baby any health complications is totally irresponsible and unforgiveable. I did everything by the book in my pregnancy, for the well being of my son, and he was born with a hand deformity. It sickens me that some women just don't give a shit yet get away with it scott free.

I agree, my baby had to spend time on the nicu through no fault of my own and the girl in the next bed to me asked the midwives to look after her healthy baby so she could go outside and smoke two hours after giving birth. I was pretty hormonal and so angry that somebody would do that I actually cried.
I don't think anything winds me up more than seeing a heavily pregnant woman smoking.

I have heard somewhere around 40% of pregnant mothers have smoked at some point during a pregnancy. Seems like a lot considering I didn't thing 40% of people smoked.

If you did smoke, what were the problems that you faced afterwards with your baby?

I have smoked for all my pregnancies this includes my current which I will update if it had an effect. I didn't have any problems with my other two kids I tend to have tiny babies because I usually never gain and constantly lose weight even though I tend to constantly eat this time though I am currently 19 weeks today and have gained 11 pounds! My kids were born healthy and have not had any problems with either one! I will update in May providing I remember after this lo arrives! I posted about this also in another thread in this forum it's the confessions please before judging or criticizing or anything read that post I made because it offers a lot of insight into my situation. It's not so much I don't want to quit I do it's just merely impossible I have cut back during all of them though I was going through a pack a day easily now it's 1/4-1/5th pack a day which is 4-5 cigarettes a day also I smoke the 100's as they are longer which helps even more because I smoke a third of one put it out and finish another third later and so on and so forth.

Wantingabubba I can see where that would upset you I refuse to smoke around someone else who is pregnant I won't even smoke in someone's house or anything without asking first because you don't know what affect it could have on that person. My mom is allergic to the smoke and so my dad and I respect that by taking it outside. I do believe you had every right to feel the way you did because you know what it can do. I respect you for speaking your mind and things because that is not something I am personally good at.

Eek!! I commented on your post in 2nd tri and have to tell you that you almost had my sympathy. The cancerous cells in your cervix can be caused by smoking (the whole smoking causes cancer bit is true) so you saying that smoking hasn't affected your pregnancy is flat out denial! Just quit. Especially with your issues and the possibility of cervical cancer that could cause an early termination should be used as prime motivation! FAS isn't an excuse to cause detriment to your own baby. I'm sure this sounds harsh and judgmental, but really no one should sugar coat it. Smoking is bad and unexcusable during pregnancy.

I have smoked for all my pregnancies this includes my current which I will update if it had an effect. I didn't have any problems with my other two kids I tend to have tiny babies because I usually never gain and constantly lose weight even though I tend to constantly eat this time though I am currently 19 weeks today and have gained 11 pounds! My kids were born healthy and have not had any problems with either one! I will update in May providing I remember after this lo arrives!

Smoking is linked with low birthweight. :shrug:

Your babies might have been born healthy but from another point of view, what if, through no fault of your own, your baby arrived prematurely. That can happen to anyone. I say this because, I didnt smoke continously through my pregnancy but i had the odd one the week before she arrived - at 27 weeks gestation - and then I had to look at my baby on a ventilator. I cannot begin to imagine how worse that could have been had I been smoking daily and regularly as I once had pre-pregnancy.

Just because your babies were all born healthy previously it doesnt make it "okay". No point coming back an updating this thread whether your baby is healthy or not because its pot luck, just because your children have been lucky, some arent.

I know how tough it can be as a smoker, and from seeing my friends and family struggle. I smoke again now,(not pregnant) I understand the addiction. But it took one look at the old pictures of my previous baby on her vent and I knew I literally couldnt forgive myself for just one. It worked, I got through that pregnancy smoke free. Feel free - https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/parenting-journals/155976-princess-alexs-diary.html

Edited to add - I wrote the above before i realised your situation. Coincidental. But I hope it gives you something to think about because you have mentioned previously you could potentially deliver early. This isnt something I normally post about, I normally dont participate in these threads, but as an advocate for helping deliver the best to premature and sick babies, you could make a difference now, its not too late. And if my post doesnt encourage you, I hope it encourages someone that reads.

I hate to admit it, but with my first pregnancy, I was under a lot of stress. Mainly caused by the sperm donor threatening me and stalking me. At the time, I kept trying to quit but it was very stressful. I quit for a while and then would smoke again. I kept trying, but kept failing. I never smoked excessively, and consistently tried to quit.

My daughter was born right on time, with no complications and a healthy birth weight. She has no allergies, doesn't have asthma, and is very smart. As far as I can tell smoking did not adversely affect her development at all.

HOWEVER, I'm not condoning smoking during pregnancy at all.i never smoked more than one a day and would go a couple months sometimes without one. What I was told-and this goes for alcohol too (didn't even have a drop of that btw)-was that it isn't that every person that smokes will see an adverse reaction, it's that there is a POSSIBILITY that if you smoke your child could have a birth defect, low birth weight or some sort of environmental issue (like asthma or allergies) or a number of other issues. I was lucky. I did finally kick the habit a few years ago and I won't ever go back.

Why anyone would take that risk even if it is just a POSSIBILITY is completely beyond me. No matter what is going on in your life and however hard it is, you do it for the sake of your defenceless, unborn child. If you can't then maybe you shouldn't be having a child in the first place.

Why anyone would take that risk even if it is just a POSSIBILITY is completely beyond me. No matter what is going on in your life and however hard it is, you do it for the sake of your defenceless, unborn child. If you can't then maybe you shouldn't be having a child in the first place.

It's so easy to judge from that high horse. I'm sure every choice you've made in life is chaste and unmarred by the lessons we indecent heathens down here have had to learn. Way to go you. I'm sure your kind, and loving manner has brought you nothing but perfect children, a perfect husband and a joyous life that everyone envies. :thumbup:

I would never EVER do anything to risk the life and/or health of my unborn baby... and that makes me the bad guy? You're just feeling guilty.

people probably arent going to like what i say but please just bear in mind this isnt my opinion just what i have seen. Everyone in my family who smoke has continued to do so in pregnancy, i am a non smoker and i had the smallest baby at 6lb 3oz, the smokers babies were all 8-10lbs. When my mum was having me she was outside the labour ward having a cigarette WITH the midwives, ive never had a health problem, never been in hospital other than to have my children. My uncle has bad asthma (his mum doesnt and never has smoked, neither does he) and his doctor recommended injections of a nicotine based solution to help with breathing! If you think back to when everyone smoked heavily in pregnancy ie the 50's and 60's there were no more small babies/stillbirths/miscarriages than there are now

In fact, in the uk in the 1950's over 28 out of 1000 babies died before the age of 1 and in 2012 it's less than 5 out of 1000. Please check facts. So actually there were almost 6 times as many still births/ neonatal deaths in the 50's. Evidence shows this is down to an increase in antenatal and postnatal care, including Intervention during labour and better diets and lifestyles ( including a reduction in smoking mothers and 2nd hand smoke in early childhood) . You can argue it all you like but smoking when pregnant or around your newborn is the same as giving them a cig and lighting it. I'm trying not to judge those that do it, but I can't help but be angry at those who deny it's effects by citing 'healthy relatives' born to smoking mothers.

It's so easy to judge from that high horse. I'm sure every choice you've made in life is chaste and unmarred by the lessons we indecent heathens down here have had to learn. Way to go you. I'm sure your kind, and loving manner has brought you nothing but perfect children, a perfect husband and a joyous life that everyone envies. :thumbup:

What a horrific and sarcastic comment to make. It's comments like this that INFURIATE me. You are POLLUTING your child before it is even born. Why do people NOT see this as an issue?!? What would you say to someone who drank alcohol through pregnancy? Maybe it's you that should get down off your high horse and start taking responsibility for what you are doing to your unborn child instead of babbling on like it'll never happen to you. The reason we're probably having healthy children is nothing to do with our good kind manner, it's called doing everything you possibly can to create a healthy child, I.e not smoking. Also to the person who is going to "update us", get a grip. I genuinely hope your child is born healthy, but would you still update if they weren't?

Like I said in my previous comment, all you ladies that are smoking during pregnancy no matter what excuse you are giving for not quitting... When your little bundle of joy has joined this world, are you going to spark up and with every cigarette blow the smoke directly in to their faces? There is no difference in doing that to what you are doing now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->