Dilated ureters?

jkburns

Reaction score
I just got a call from my nurse and she said they want me to have a follow up ultrasound in four weeks because the babies ureters were borderline dilated. She didn't act like I should be concerned and said the measurements were almost normal so there shouldn't be anything to worry about but they just want to double check. Has anyone had this happen? What was the outcome? Thank you ladies.

Yes I did.
sometimes it can be due to babies position, however erins were actually dilated so she was on antibiotics from birth until she was a few months old. This is to stop kidney infections as erins kidneys were backfiring, so wee was flowing back into the kidney.
We had ultrasounds, and dye scans to see how badly the kidneys were affected, however erins and most children kidneys do actually rectify themselves. Only in very severe cases does it require surgery.

I freaked out when it was diagnosed at one of my scans, but try not to worry. It could still be nothing, and even if it is it is good they have found it now as some cases aren't discovered until multiple kidney infections happen, with the antibiotics this will stop any infection from happening.

:hugs:

If you have any questions PM me, its not nice finding out that there may be something wrong, but please let me reassure you it is not something extremely serious :flower:

Thank you so much! You have really put my mind at ease. Everything I've read seems to say that treatment is effective and baby can have a normal life even if surgery is required. I'm praying that they don't find anything at my next scan or if they do all baby will need is antibiotics. I will keep you updated and probably pm some questions if I have any if you don't mind. Thank you again.

No worries, feel free to PM me and please keep us updated :flower:

I just got a call from my nurse and she said they want me to have a follow up ultrasound in four weeks because the babies ureters were borderline dilated. She didn't act like I should be concerned and said the measurements were almost normal so there shouldn't be anything to worry about but they just want to double check. Has anyone had this happen? What was the outcome? Thank you ladies.

I just got from my 19 week anatomy ultrasound. I am actually 18 weeks and 4 days. The tech doing the ultrasound said everything looked good. She said the only thing the doctor might speak to you about is the your baby's ureters are borderline dilated. I was really concerned and scared. I had a baby die before of no kidneys. I do have 3 healthy children. So the doctor comes in and this is a high risk place, he says that I had a really good ultrasound and everything looked great. Then he said we are going to schedule you to have a follow up ultrasound to check your baby's ureters because they are just a little dilated. He said one was 3.4 and the other was 4.3. I told him I was concerned and he told me that he thought that they would correct themselves before birth and if not most of them correct after they are born. I am so concerned and anxious. He says that this is a common finding and sometimes it is seen in babys with down syndrome but that was not in my case. He said most of the cases correct themselves. So I come home and search the internet and I see your post. I see that your baby's ureters were borderline. Could you please tell me if it corrected itself?
The doctor didn't seem concerned about it. But you know how it is being a mom.

With my dd, they never saw this on the ultrasound while I was pregnant, but in her first year she had like 5 UTIs. So awful because she's in pain and they have to use a catheter to get a urine sample to check for it every time. Poor girl is traumatized from those experiences. Anyway, they finally sent us to get testing done, which consisted of putting some dye up in with a catheter and doing an ultrasound to see if it backs up into the kidneys. I haven't heard the term "dilated" but they determined she does has reflux in her ureters so the urine goes back up into the kidneys which draws in bacteria, hence all the UTIs.

Since then, she has been on a low dose antibiotic to prevent more UTIs. She gets 5mL a day for an undetermined amount of time. The doctors said most kids grow out of it and their ureters mature and it doesn't cause any more issues. However there are times when they need to go in and correct. One option is they go up and place a small valve like thing in the way so urine can go down but it can't go back up. Another is much more invasive where they correct it surgically.

She'll go back for more tests in a few more months, just to see if any changes have taken place. If not, she'll continue on the daily antibiotics for another 6 months and recheck. I think after 2 years if there's still no improvement, that's when we'll consider the other options.

Anyway, just wanted to explain that it's really not a horrible issue, so try not to worry too much. If your baby has something similiar to my dd, worst case they have surgery to fix it. My daughter was a preemie, born at 30 weeks so I am thankful that this is her only health problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->