Dispatches - Hospital food .. ungrateful?

Didn't see if but tbh, i thought our food was really good :thumbup: 3 course meal, decent portions, and it was nice. I didn't want to go home :haha:

On the other hand, my uncle was transfered to another hospital and the standard of both care and food was appauling. He lost so much weight. Being in there made him poorly. Thats just not on :hugs:

I didn't know it was on but I've not set it to record. I wouldn't expect ''amazing'' food but I'd expect it to be nutrionally and taste satisfying. xx

Maybe they should do a different system. If you want better food then you pay £3/£4 a day for different from what everyone else is getting :shrug:

I agree with this. I do think the food standard should be a certain level. It shouldn't be so bad that nobody eats it. Thats just wrong. But yeah, you go in hospital for care and treatment. If you were at home you would be buying your own food. You are getting it 'free' in hospital. If your not happy you can always buy your own food and bring it in? :shrug:

I had meals brought to me but only tried the chocolate pud and it was nice. I wouldn't expect it to be fabulous, if i wanted something specific i would of asked a family member, but i suppose some patients aren't that lucky. I do think it should be decent though, not full of crap.

i agree it should be healthy and edible

but it is free at the end of the day
and you can take your own food!

:thumbup:

I agree appreciative etc but I was given runny onion soup after I had R, I would have rather had the option to just have toast, it made me sick, I cant even eat onions like that! It should at least be edible! x

firstly - the food is not free arrghhhhh :)haha:)

free on delivery like everything else - but not free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phew feel a bit better now.

When i was in for 8 days after having lo the food looked gross but was actually really tasty.

I don't think fabulous food should be expected but it should at least be nutritious, satisfying and taste decent.

I dunno at my hospital you had to pay for your food so I was a little irked that it was icky.

I'm not watching it, but I agree. I don't think they should even serve food unless you can prove you have no other way of getting any.

It isn't a hotel, you're there to be treated for something, treatment that is free, that's enough for me.

If I want 'nice' food, I'll buy it.

I think it needs to at least be edible, if you're ill to start with you don't want the food making you sick and some people don't have the option of bringing food in, I can't imagine a heart attack patient packing a lunch box before going in.

I think it needs to at least be edible, if you're ill to start with you don't want the food making you sick and some people don't have the option of bringing food in, I can't imagine a heart attack patient packing a lunch box before going in.

I agree, and I just want to repeat again that some patients are in hospitals for months. My dad was paralysed from the waist down and really weak and frail so when my mum wasn't there to bring food for him he had no choice but to eat that disgusting crap. It actually makes me irrationally sad to think about that, its really depressing.

I don't think he was being ungrateful at all, just highlighting a really important issue. Nutrition plays a huge role in an individual's recovery - you need to be well nourished for any tissue damage to heal and to prevent further tissue breakdown. Poor nutrition plays a huge role in delaying discharge from hospital and increases costs i.e. people developing pressure sores during a hospital stay delays discharge and then there are the added costs of continued care i.e. community nursing input, dressing costs etc. I'm a nurse and when I was working on a ward the food was of a much better quality than that shown on Dispatches - it was all prepared on site and served fresh. The biggest scandal is the companies who are making money from supplying poor quality food to hospitals.

The food in our hospital isnt that bad. I wouldnt eat it out of choice but its not vile. IDK why some people think the NHS is a restaurant or hotel :shrug: We aren't allowed to reheat patients food from home which kinda sucks.

& Not being funny but if I had a hideous wound or was very ill, I'd eat a scabby horse if I needed to.

Just watched it, the food was awful when I was in hospital. I ate it but not much, and I couldn't afford to buy my own. I do think they need to sort it out.

food can help people get better i do think it should be edable

theres spot checks going on in hospitals by the goverment to check food nutrition ect at the moment x

also, until you work in a hospital with patients who are anorexic you have no idea :( It's HORRID when you have a patient starving themselves to death and you can't do anything to make them eat. You tell them you need to eat or they'll die and docs and dieticians tell them the same and it does no good. IDK if the program was saying that people were getting more ill from not eating but if they were, how nice the food is has nothing to do with it. :( Horrid.

We had really good food in my hospital!

To be honest, if people don't like the food, there are shops within the hospital, or you could always order in a McDonalds :lol:

also, until you work in a hospital with patients who are anorexic you have no idea :( It's HORRID when you have a patient starving themselves to death and you can't do anything to make them eat. You tell them you need to eat or they'll die and docs and dieticians tell them the same and it does no good. IDK if the program was saying that people were getting more ill from not eating but if they were, how nice the food is has nothing to do with it. :( Horrid.

I am a former anorexic and stayed in inpatient treatment for 4 months. Eating disorder wards are probably one of the most depressing places you could ever stay :nope:

I think it's fair that we expect to be fed something edible.. of course we're in there because we're ill, but that doesn't mean we should starve. I think food is a major part of recovery, if you don't eat it's likely your recovery will take longer.

If you're going to provide something, do it right. Most of the time the food itself would be ok.. if it wasn't overcooked, undercooked, left out to go stale etc.. these kitchen staff are paid to prepare/cook for patients, they should do it properly :shrug:

There are some hospitals that spend less per person than is allocated for a prisoner. I'm not saying prisoners don't have the right to decent meals, but surely patients should be entitled to atleast the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->