Ditching the dummy

caggimedicine

Mummy to Harry
Reaction score
Harry is 27 months old and is still very reliant on a dummy. He has a comforter too, and associates one with the other (e.g. "want my dummy-teddy please"). I'm happy for him to keep his comforter, but want rid of the dummy because he dribbles like mad when he's got it and has a red dry-skin chin most of the time which i'm constantly caking in greasy cream.

Anyone got any tips on ditching the dummy for children who just wouldn't understand the "dummy fairy", or "giving dummies to the babies" etc or "dummy in exchange for present/treat"?

I have asked Harry if he wants to give his dummy to the babies and he just says no! :dohh: I've also tried bribery... doesn't work.:shrug: It seems he wants to keep the dummy over anything I offer. And when he doesn't have it - oh my god, it's like the end of the world.

Please help!

Hiya, Kian is also 27 months and still has a dummy forbed and sometimes during the day when he needs comforting. In fact, he goes to bed with a dummy in his mouth, one in his hand and 2 in his cot!!!!!! We have only recently not let him have his dummy during the day and he's usually ok until he gets tired. I'm not too sure myself how we are going to get rid of it forever :shrug:

Just thought i'd update this.

We decided to tell Harry that dummy had to stay in bed during the day and that he would get it back at bed time. We started on Thursday - my mum had him on Thursday so it wasn't completely followed through and apparently he was a nightmare. Friday and today have been fine though - better than I expected actually. Yesterday he asked for the dummy 2-3 times, whinging for about 10-15 minutes on each occasion. He also didn't want to leave dummy in bed. However, this morning he voluntarily left the dummy in bed, and only mentioned it during car journeys but soon forgot again. Nap times have been fine too. So all going well so far!

Glad to hear it's going well. We're trying to get rid of the dummy just now too. x

Tonight is the first night that Joe hasn't had a dummy. We noticed today that he seems to bite it, so he went to sleep tonight without it.

I'm not sure what will happen if he wakes during the night and can't find it!! Hopefully he'll be ok, usually he puts his dummy back in if he wakes up, fingers crossed he sleeps through!

Well Harry has been ok again today, although did cry this morning when leaving the dummy in the bed. Tomorrow will be his first day at nursery without a dummy... wonder how on earth he's going to get on there. Will report back!

Hope tomorrow goes ok at nursery hun, let us know how he gets on x

With Lily we went on holiday and left it there and I kept tellin her on way home dodo on holiday gone bye bye ...she asnt asked for it since

Rian has her "Suzy" only at sleep times. However ..she has to have it. I said I would get rid of it at 1 year, then at 2..well now she is 26 months and she still has it. I condonned it by saying "she only gets it at sleep time so it's not so bad" When I tell her it is bedtime..suzy is the first thing she asks for. Gotta get rid of it soon though..so I will be watching this thread!

We're now at the same stage: Our 26 month girl is actually allright without her dummy during the day. But her dummy, teddy and bottle of milk is a Must-Have for bedtime routine to go smoothly. I've allowed this as it's a bedtime thing only.

I've read about the balloon method: with toddler's help, attach the dummy to a helium balloon, say farewell and then letting the balloon fly away. Has anyone tried this yet?!

My sister-in-law is trying to get her daughter to give hers up. They are going to bring her across to see me with her dummys in a little bag as a gift for the new baby x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->