Do human beings have the right to commit suicide?

JASMAK

Mom of three
Reaction score
I will hold my opinion (for a bit). Be respectful!!!:flower:

I don't know I am unsure of this really. What type of committing suicide though? Through a depressive state, or through ill health. Are they the same or is there a difference?

I have never had suicidal thoughts and have never been in such a depressive state that the only option I can see out of it is suicide, so I don't think that I am really 'qualified' to have a major opinion on the subject.

In terms of ill health I suppose this is more euthenasia though then yes I do agree with this, of the person has a degenerative illness, I genuinely do believe that it is more humane. After watching my grandmother fade away with Cancer, I would not wish that on my worst enemy.

I say no also. imo its a very selfish thing to do.

No. I don't believe humans have the right to end any life, whether it is their own or another person's.

Yes I do think they have a right to do what they want with thier own person. I still think it's a very selfish thing to do in certain situations but I know some people can get to breaking point where nothing can help. In regards to terminal illnesses, i think it's incredibaly brave to think over and decide that's your only option especially when discussing with loved ones. These people are not only thinking of themselves but the people they feel they're burdening. So sad.

Suicide is a selfish act, and all my belief would point to me saying no.

However, there are grey areas too, I mean like euthanasia, is that the same? Because it legally happens to a degree, medical professionals can give lethal amounts of morphine if the person is suffering enough, to dose is obviously there just to ease pain but with the known affect that it will decrease reparations and eventually the person will slip away. Is that wrong? What about a non-cancer terminal patient? How about parients who are slowly dying of terminal conditions which cause pain and distress? I once had a patient who went to Switzerland to end his life, he was slwoly dying and would regularly chock on his own spit so his wife had to watch him 24/7 along with raising her 4 kids. he had totally mental capacity but no physical capacity, i don't know if its right but would I like to live like that? No. I dont know what I would do but I know I would consider ending it if i could.

What about people who are going to die in situations like on the titanic, your stuck inside the ship, no way out and its filling with water, you will die. you have a gun, do you end it yourself or slowly run out of air/drown? Again don't know the answer but it certainly would cross my mind.

Those who tend to commit suicide jumping off building etc. are desperate and not of sane mind, i do think its selfish though.

So I think its complicated and wide reaching. From a religious stand point is it wrong, but i find the topic inst black and white so its difficult to give an answer.

no, because suicide to me implies its for psychological reasons which means they are not thinking rationally and are going through something that can be overcome. Euthanasia yes I'm completely for because its not about why its about how you die, it's about the right to die with dignity and not to be forced to suffer. I think it's very wrong to impose personal morals onto other people, whether someone agrees it with it or not through either moral or religious reasons this is no reason why someone who is terminally ill should not be able to make the choice for them-selves, why should someone's suffering and death be dragged out simply to ease the conscience of 'society'?

Yes of course we do. free will. we should be able to choose whether we want to live or die and i do not view it as selfish. x

I don't think it can or cannot be a 'right'

A right implies it is something each person is entitled to, suicide is a bit different to that as it depends wholly on circumstances.

If you are elderly and in pain, that's understandable in my eyes

If your a single mother with two kids relying on you, that's selfish

If your an angry teenager, that's just plain stupidity

I Could go on.

I don't think 'having a right to commit suicide' is the right way to think of it.

It's about personal ethics, circumstance and situation so there is no definable answer one way or the other.

Yes of course we do. free will. we should be able to choose whether we want to live or die and i do not view it as selfish. x

really? i find it EXTREMELY selfish. its not the person who committed suicide left to pick up the pieces. its their loved ones.

really? i find it EXTREMELY selfish. its not the person who committed suicide left to pick up the pieces. its their loved ones.

yes........but is it not just as selfish to want a person to live for your own benefit, for your own happiness?

i use to think it was selfish, i really did, but i think differently now.

i understand the pain the family feels but i also understand the pain the person who commits suicide feels.

I think its sad on both sides but i can never view it as selfish.

for those that think its a right to commit suicide..

don't you think then that it would be better if society created a system whereby one can register "intent"..then you fill in forms, ensure your affairs are in order, and then do it. instead of just doing it like that, leaving a mess for everyone else to clean up

Would anyone bother though?

would it be anonymous?

How many people who are of that mental state would be of the mind to finailise their affairs? Surely if they were, they could do some things via a solicitor beforehand, but how many actually do?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.
You cannot declare all suicide and those who commit it selfish for christ sake.
I attempted suicide, i genuinely believed my loved ones were better off without me, years and years of depression had seeped this into my brain, i was childless at this point. I was NOT selfish, i believe i was doing it for the right reasons, neither was i an "angry teenager" it infuriates me to see people say these things, if you have never been in the dark place that pre-empts suicide you could never know.
OH's cousin commited suicide because she was being horrendously bullied, she was not selfish she was desperate.
Whilst i don't think suicide should be legalised i do think that there should be better understanding, i also believe that someone who is terminally ill, in agony, no quality of life who are in the right mind to know they want it to be over, should be allowed that right, its so so wrong they are not.

for those that think its a right to commit suicide..

don't you think then that it would be better if society created a system whereby one can register "intent"..then you fill in forms, ensure your affairs are in order, and then do it. instead of just doing it like that, leaving a mess for everyone else to clean up

How would that be different to places like dignitas?

my suggestion of formalizing the suicide, and going through the process was meant to illustrate just how ludicrous the idea of "right to suicide" sounds in real life.

as society, we spend so much time and effort, via social institutions, laws, etc to safeguard life..to then turn around and give people the right to end it is not right, more so as people are usually in an impaired state of mind when they attempt suicide...

I know of 2 people who commited suicide.
A guy I used to date, years before I met him was involved in a car crash with his girlfriend,his friend and friends girlfriend.I believe he had am argument with gf which resulted in him swapping seats and delaying them. A lorry hit them, his friends and friends gf were both decapitated. He was concious the whole time till the ambulance got to them. Fast forward 5ish yrs and him and his now ex were about to recieve compensation which he didn't want.He had enormous guilt that the girl died instaed of him, 5 yrs of therapy clearly didn't help. One evening after a football match he told the lads he was going to commit suicide. He was the life and soul of e erywhere, tge most fun loving guy ever so they didn't take him seriously and even joked the best way to do it. The following day he jumped in front of a train.I think he was selfish.. It's a selfish act...you don't think about the pain you leave behind or even the person who finds you or in this case hits you BUT in his case I don't think there was any way out of the torture he was going through. I wish he didn't do it but I understand why he did it.
Also a friends dad did the same, jumped in front of a train. Was an ex police officer who was on trial for a sexual assult. I think in this instance he took a cowards way out than face trial but who knows what was going on in his head.
I would personally want an option of ending my life if it came to the decision witha terminal illness. IMO it's best all round for me personally as I'd be more worried about the family caring for me and it'd be a peaceful death. I know my dad would have opted for this given the choice rather than be on a manky hospital ward, 9 strokes 3 of which went unnoticed by hospital staff. He was a vegetable at the end, if he could have flicked a switch he would have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->