Do some men only make one gender?

tinkerbelle93

2 little boys :)
Reaction score
I ask this because in my OH's family, on his dad's side, all the men seem to mainly make boys. When I was pregnant everyone said it'd be a boy because of that and they were right!

Is this merely coincidental or do some men generally produce more of one type of sperm? And is this a genetic trait that can be passed down? It just seems odd when you see huge families that are one gender only, makes you think there must be something more than chance? xx

I've wondered this too. It could be genetics, but also some families share eating habits. For example, my father-in-law will only eat dinner involving a piece of red meat, potatoes, and sometimes a vegetable, very healthy I know. My brother-in-law is also a big carnivore, as is his wife. My husband is vegetarian, but loves his salty food and tomatoes, which are also rich in potassium, and a lot of the veggie meals that we eat together are very sodium and potassium rich, lots of tomatoes, canned legumes, added salt to meals(a bad habit I picked up from him), which I only thought about in hindsight of course!

As for my husband's family, he only has one brother, who has one son. We're expecting a boy. And this does make me hope that we're capable of making just one girl in the future! Though his aunt on his mother's side had all boys, out of them, one boy has a daughter and a son, the other has 2 daughters. So maybe there's hope.

I have a brother and a sister. My sister never had children, my brother had 3 daughters and 1 son.

I don't know the science and all that stuff but I personally doubt every man makes exactly 50/50 male/female sperm, I mean I'm not saying they will always have a "preference" for making one gender but surely sometimes they will just make more of another? My DH has 2 brothers and then a younger sister last (so 3 boys 1 girl) we have just found out we're having our second boy, despite undeliberately DTD days before ovulation (I mean undeliberately in that we weren't swaying, not that we didn't mean to have sex haha) I just feel like DH makes boys, and puts me off trying again (if we were only trying for a girl, which for us wouldn't be a good reason to try anyway).

Apparently its to do with how the sperm is made that they make equal numbers of male and female sperm. That being said in my husbands family there is one man in each generation for as far back as we know that has all boys. We are on baby boy number 4. His grandad was one of 6 boys, he had 3 boys and one of those had 3 boys. But the funny thing is out of 18 great grandchild there are only 5 boys to carry the family name, 4 of them being ours. All DHs male cousins have girls! DHs brother has a girl and a boy, and we have all boys. His female cousins have a mix.

My DH has two girls from a precious relationship and we also had a girl. I'm starting to think that he can only make girls... :-(

I'm stalking this thread because I don't know if there is any science behind it!

I'm begining to think this too...

My aunt (dads sister) has 3 sons and 4 daughters
1st son... has 4 boys (one set of twin boys) and no girls
2nd son has 3 boys (plus had another one that his wife miscarried)
3rd son has one boy so far

1st daughter - boy, girl girl
2nd daughter - boy boy girl girl
3rd daughter - no kids - infertile
4th daughter - 3 sons

They have 8 grandsons from their sons
And 6 from their daughter.. So 14 grandsons and 4 granddaughters

my girl cousins always make comments like.. Oh you know us.. we only have boys... And they are so proud of it..

because my dads kids
First son (my brother) has one daughter
daughter (my sister) has one daughter and is 10 weeks pregnant
Daughter (me) have one daughter and I'm pregnant with #2 and really hoping for a boy
4th daughter - my younger sis is not married yet

So ya they keep making comments on how they only have boys ..
my dad wants a grandson so I really hope so !

My husband's family is said to 'only make boys', my MIL sort of bet that our first and second would be boys, she was right with the first but we've gone on to have four girls after our son.

It's funny because it's mostly girls on my maternal side and mostly boys on my paternal!

I want a little boy :) x

My OH is his dad's only child, his dad only had brothers and his dad only had brothers too! And me and my OH so far have a son.
Surely there is some sort of scientific explanation for that? And if it is a lot down to diet then surely couples who sway need to be more focussed on the man making changes etc.

On the other hand, my OH's maternal grandfather made 5 girls and 1 boy. But I'm guessing my OH wouldn't take after him because that trait (if it is genetic) wouldn't have been able to pass down to him via his mother because she's female?

It really does interest me but nobody seems to know for definite lol! xx

I checked, as I knew my father-in-law came from a huge family. And it turns out he's one of 11 boys and 2 girls!

I have heard of studies where they compared sperm samples of men who had all boys and all girls, and the X/Y ratio was 50/50. My guess is that it could have something to do with the Ph of the semen, which could be genetic.

So funny to find this! My husband and I think we'll have all boys based on this.

My husband is from all boys. His brother has one son.
His dad was from all boys. His uncle had no biological children.
His grandfather was the youngest of seven boys. And get this, of those seven boys, there were over twenty grandbabies, only one had a daughter.

A single girl. In four generations. Like just about 30 boys to 1 girl in his family.

Crazy.

My family is varied and people tend to have more girls than boys. So hopefully I can get at least a girl in there somewhere lol

So funny to find this! My husband and I think we'll have all boys based on this.

My husband is from all boys. His brother has one son.
His dad was from all boys. His uncle had no biological children.
His grandfather was the youngest of seven boys. And get this, of those seven boys, there were over twenty grandbabies, only one had a daughter.

A single girl. In four generations. Like just about 30 boys to 1 girl in his family.

Crazy.

My family is varied and people tend to have more girls than boys. So hopefully I can get at least a girl in there somewhere lol

Yes exactly! Surely that's not just chance, there MUST be something to explain that! My family is also varied but it's down to the man as he's providing the sperm isn't it? :( xx

A slightly higher ratio of boys to girls is born every year. Its tiny like 1 or 2% more boys. But this means with each baby the chance of a boy is slightly higher. Those who have girls, every time they have a baby, the chance of having a boy next is increased. Those of us with boys, the chance of having a girl decreases. Its not by a lot but for example with DS1 my chance of a girl was 49%, with this on (number 4) my chance of a girl was 47% so only a very small percentage.
With swaying its a lot to do with the environment the woman creates with in her body. She can alter her PH so that its more favourable for male or female sperm so one has a better chance of surviving and meeting the egg.
Also they say the way we eat has a basis going back to times when we would have famines and wars. Girl babies had a better chance of survival, boy babies are weaker (ironic as men always claim to be so much stronger LOL) So when times were hard, there was not a lot of food and the body would alter and be in favour of girl sperm and a lot of girls would be born, when times were better and food intake increased (along with those food types changing) it would tell the body that times are good, boys had a better chance at survival and boys would be born.
This is apparently still seen in third world countries according to the article I read on it, there is a much higher percentage of girls born in those countries.
Looking at my diet and general life style I can see that my life is one BIG boy sway.
There are also things like your own body type which can give clues (I read this on the gender dreaming site) my body type and little things about my body MAY indicate that I have a very slightly high level of testosterone in my body (though its hard to say for sure as they don't know what the average is) but little clues would suggest that.

In my maternal side girls have always been born first, girls have dominated (going back to my great grand mother, and my great great grandmother they both had 1 brother each and 6 or 7 sisters) My Nan was the eldest of 2, she had a brother, their Dad was then killed in the war and their Mum never remarried. My Nan had 1 daughter and I was the first born grandchild. My Mum then had twin boys, my Dad remarried and had another boy. My Dad was adopted so we can't know his family pattern. But as you see he has 1 girl and 3 boys.

The thing is we can't know 100% if swaying does work, yes some people sway and they get the gender they wanted, but it could be a coincidence because there are those that sway and don't get what they wanted.

They say its scientifically based that men produce equal numbers of sperm, and also that the way it is produced means that you can't have one gender be faulty and the other healthy to explain it. I don't know though. I know a lady on the due in october thread on gender dreaming is on her 7th boy! And there are a LOT of us on our 4th.

I did plan on swaying next time, but number 5 is looking less likely now, and I think it wouldn't help any desire I felt, it would just get my hopes up even more. This baby took long enough to make and I'm now just grateful his on his way at all. I think at the end of it all you will get what you are given and what you are meant to have whatever you do. I read so many stories of those who said "no more babies" after their sway failed or failed twice and then had a surprise pregnancy and got a girl while doing everything 'wrong' (in swaying terms)

Yep I think so. We will have 3 boys and 1 girl with this one. DH jokes that Erin is a one hit wonder :haha: my friend is also on her 4th-all boys and another on her 3rd-all girls

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081211121835.htm

Article about this.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081211121835.htm

Article about this.

Wow that's interesting so not all men produce equal amounts according to this? I found the article a bit confusing (all those facts on genes and things was hard to keep up with!) but what it's saying is that the gene can also be passed on from either parent to the man? xx

Kind of off topic but I read they are starting to think the mother is the one who decides.Like when a mother miscarries it maybe be because she is not able to carry that gender.Of course thats not the only reason it happena but I thought it was interesting.Seems kind of crazy but who knows

My partners side of the family are boys and when I had a lot of trouble and health worry s in my. Last pregnancy a lot of the doctors said its because the baby's a girl......

A lot of people have asked me if I can only carry boys and if I have ever miscarried but I haven't. 4th pregnancy, 4th boy.
Its probably a combination of things that makes some couples have a higher chance of one gender or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->