Do UK ladies have glucose test too?

Little G

Reaction score
Hey,

I've seen a few posts on people mentioning glucose tests but no-body from the UK. I mentioned to my midwife weeks ago that id been drinking lucozade as made me feel better in the mornings and she said oh dont worry as the glucose test will flag up if drinking too much.... Its never been mentioned again?? :wacko: Just wondering if its something that usually gets done here?

xx

I had one in my previous pregnancy. I think they're only done if you're deemed at risk, or if there's a reason for them to check.

For me, a blood test showed a higher blood glucose than they would have expected, so I had the glucose tolerance test.

If they found sugar in a urine sample that could be another reason to have one. Or if youve had a large baby previously, a family history of Type 2 diabetes - that kind of thing.

Ah right, ok thanks. Just the way she spoke about it was in I would be having a test for it. Unless picked her up wrong but thats fine, dont particularly want tested for it anyway unless need be. :thumbup:

xx

I asked my midwife today at my 25 week appointment and she said I would only have it if a direct family member had diabetes or I was high risk. She did mention they will check my blood at my 28 weeks but I probably won't have the glucose test

My local area only does glucose test on ladies that has one or more of the 'risk factors' .. Like a close relative(sibling/parent) having diabetes, if you have a higher bmi at your booking appointment or developed GD in a previous pregnancy. There are more 'risk factors' but that is all I can think of off the top of my head!
Although it's always worth keeping vigilant of signs of GD, extra thirsty, extra tired and going for a wee more than often(some women have no symptoms) cause some women can develop it without being considered high risk:flower:

I had it with all my pregnancies because my dad is a type 2 diabetic, otherwise I don't think I would have been offered it as it isn't standard.

Yes I had it as family member has diabetes, seems they test different in US ? I had to not eat or drink anything from midnight (apart from water) & down 400mls of lucozade then blood test 2 hours later x

Guess dont need to worry about it then. Was just a bit paranoid as lucozade is the only thing that makes me feel better, without it I think id still be throwing up! :wacko:

Yes I had it as family member has diabetes, seems they test different in US ? I had to not eat or drink anything from midnight (apart from water) & down 400mls of lucozade then blood test 2 hours later x

In the US everyone gets tested for gd. Usually around 28 weeks. I think Canada does too. And it's about 8oz of a drink, usually orange or fruit punch, that's packed with as much sugar as they could possibly get in it. So gross.

They need to find better tasting drinks our lucozade has to be a original flavour it just tastes plain & disgusting & 400mls seems like a huge amount when you hate it :haha:

They need to find better tasting drinks our lucozade has to be a original flavour it just tastes plain & disgusting & 400mls seems like a huge amount when you hate it :haha:

I love the original, have tried all the weird and wonderful flavor's but original hits the spot everytime! I find the others taste far too sweet.

I love the original, have tried all the weird and wonderful flavor's but original hits the spot everytime! I find the others taste far too sweet.

Same here, I love the original but can't stand any of the other flavours. I sipped it all the way through labour when I was having my DS.

I'm in the uk West Yorkshire. And everyone gets tested hear at 26 weeks as standard wether it's in your family or not . You can refuse the test. Iv had it in all 3 of my pregnancies so they test me at 16 weeks and then again at 26 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->