Do you buy meat from the butchers?

I buy all my meat from a local butcher... there's a couple of them in town and the one I use has a very small 'display' area which I like because it means there's less 'cuts' going to waste.

The meat that I choose is locally raised, and non-medicated organic and its DELICIOUS
Price wise I'd say it works out to be cheaper than the supermarkets in most instances provided I shop right... for my Ground beef and chicken breasts I buy them in pre-frozen quantities ...chicken especially seems to have skyrocketed in price in the supermarkets these days so I'm glad I'm not buying from there anymore.

Quality and flavor is incomparable for the price and I like knowing that I'm supporting an ethical meat industry.

We get ours from the supermarket, I would love to start getting it from the butchers though. OH uncle is a butcher and has a shop, he always gives you a discount on the meat too. It is a car journey in the opposite direction though. We should really go more though as the quality of meat is better and it also puts the £ in his pocket instead of the supermarkets.

I buy from both as there's an Owen taylors on the same street as me so I tend to get things on the day I need it. I buy sausages from tescos though as I get the weight watchers ones xx

I bit the bullet today and asked to weigh up what Id normally buy and price it for me.

400g beef mince at £3, i pay £1.30 for beef/pork mince at 500g. 2 chicken breast fillets at £3.40, I pay £4.05 for 3 large/4 small fillets.
I dont like the meats we are buying anymore though :dohh: and they were cheap of the cheap smart price ones. I think Ill look into how much for Asda not smart price brand and see how that tastes.
It hard to justify the butchers when i get discount at Asda and like everyone else, were on a tight budget!

I used to buy suppermarket meat but last year we moved to a cottage next to the dairy fam where my OH works. We have some land around the house. Last srping we had pet lambs and we had one of them butchered. It is the best meat I've ever had. We also have pig and had two of her piglets butchered. we also had a bull slaughtered. I have a chest freezer in the garage full of lovely tasty meat that I know where its come from and even stroked and called by name. I only buy chicken from the suppermarket now. This year coz we cant have another lamb I will probably buy a whole one from the butchers and keep it in the feezer. Having raised the lambs and piglets ourselvers i can understand why butchers prices may be more expensive than the suppermarkets.

if we could afford to buy meat from a butcher we would. i'd much prefer it. needs must though i guess :shrug:

I used to buy suppermarket meat but last year we moved to a cottage next to the dairy fam where my OH works. We have some land around the house. Last srping we had pet lambs and we had one of them butchered. It is the best meat I've ever had. We also have pig and had two of her piglets butchered. we also had a bull slaughtered. I have a chest freezer in the garage full of lovely tasty meat that I know where its come from and even stroked and called by name. I only buy chicken from the suppermarket now. This year coz we cant have another lamb I will probably buy a whole one from the butchers and keep it in the feezer. Having raised the lambs and piglets ourselvers i can understand why butchers prices may be more expensive than the suppermarkets.

OT but you are the only other person on here I've seen with a farmer OH!

OT but you are the only other person on here I've seen with a farmer OH!

ARJ from new zealand is also a farmers wife.
I take it you are aswell then? What type of farm are you on? I used to go and help a lot but since im now pregnant the nearest Im allowed is the computer or a walk in the field or to take the kids to see the calves and supervise them feeding them.

I have been a vegetarian for a few years now, but my OH isn't.
I will however eat a little bit of meat again when we raise our own or when I find a good, ethical farmer to buy meat from. That or wild meat that was hunted ethically (with respect to the wild population).

This spring we will get some chicks and raise them for meat (plus others for eggs). Eventually we may raise ducks, turkeys and goats too. We would have loved pigs, but we are not allowed. And we do not have enough room for beef.

ive never bought butcher meat! TBH we hardly ever eat meat. I buy maybe 1 chicken and 1 pack of mince per 10 days :shrug: but our local butcher is always very busy so I might start buying stuff there. Looked in their window today and they had signs up of special meat boxes they do. there was a £25 pack that looked pretty good.

and OT - i dunno how you farm girls can do it :cry: It would devastate me to kill a pet! Obv I know it happens but I'd be such a state watching a lamb born on my farm on its way to be slaughtered, wah.

and OT - i dunno how you farm girls can do it :cry: It would devastate me to kill a pet! Obv I know it happens but I'd be such a state watching a lamb born on my farm on its way to be slaughtered, wah.

I used to feel the same Blah, But you kind of become de-sensitized to it i guess..... We treat the breeding stock as "pets", and the ones that go for meat we accept are going for meat the minutue they come to us, no chance of getting favouratised then.

We also CANNOT slaughter our goats :shrug:, Something really upsets me about that, i cant figure out why just yet haha

I do try to buy from our butcher when I can. I can't deny the meat quality is so much better. The chicken breasts are especially superior to supermarket equivalents... but they also come with a price tag that I can't afford all the time :(

I'm good as long as I don't have to see the slaughter and lamb is SUCH a delicious meat that now whenever I see a picture of a lamb I find myself unconciously licking my lips and thinking "Mmmm tasty" in some corner of my brain LOL

Growing up we raised pigs and chickens for slaughter and I definitely had a hard time then but its also given me an appreciation for knowing where my food comes from and first hand quality assurance :)

Im ok knowing that the animals are going to be eaten but I dont think i could have our sow killed for bacon. I was there when she had the piglets. In my eyes she produces the piglets we eat but we dont eat her. Its like eating a wild rabbit is different to eating a pet one. On the farm Ive seen cows killed that hasnt bothered me but I dont think i could actually do the killing.

My OH is a butcher :winkwink:

So all my meat is from there... free!

And it is cheaper at the supermarket, my OH cant beleive some of the prices they can sell joints and stuff at, butchers would make little to no profit on it. Its much better though, you know stuff hasnt just been sitting there :)

Butchers, but thats because its more out of the meat being halal. I suppose there are some stores like asda offering halal meat, but I've not felt comfortable with it.

But its expensive though!!

I buy most from the supermarket as can't afford to go to the butchers often but went to the butcher today and got their 20euro deal. I got a large chicken, steak stirfry, meatballs, beef mince and sausages. They have more stuff to choose from too so might get this every couple of weeks and alternate it with supermarket stuff. So we're having steak stirfry and noodles tonight, sausage casserole or maybe coddle tomorrow and Sunday's roast chicken dinner is sorted too:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->