Do you drink coffee while TTC?

Starlight32

Reaction score
I drink 20oz coffee (from same k cup- I run 10oz twice in the machine) each morning. We are more NTNP than TTC so I haven't thought about stopping.

Is anyone else still drinking coffee until they find out they are pregnant? Is it totally unsafe while TTC?

I drink coffee whilr ttc. Also, it's safe to drink in limited quantities while pregnant. I believe my friend had one "cup" a day. (I am not sure how much but probably a large coffee cup). I drink it on rare occasion now even. My doctor said it is fine. I also drink a large glass of tea every day. I am not sure how much caffiene that is but it appears to be fine.

Thanks for the input! I was extremely careful with everything with my first pregnancy (that being said, I was taking an extremely low dose of class d rx until I found out), and I'll be really cautious if I get pregnant again. I don't really want to cut coffee though until I know I'm pregnant...

I'm waiting for my period (I don't think our bd timing was in the fertile time this month)- maybe I'll cut back a bit when my cycle restarts.

I understand, I have to be very careful too. I have had one cup of coffee since getting pregnant and it was mostly because my mom bought me a fancy one. :haha:

I think in the tww and when ttc it is generally considered safe. I even heard one doctor say drinking in the tww was okay. Me personally, that would not happen, but to each their own right! :flower:

Oh yeah I personally would not drink alcohol; I haven't drink in many years anyway.

I do drink coffee while ttc and in the tww. I usually have around 8 ounces during the work week. I'm not sure I'll quit when I get pregnant either.

When TTC my dd I cut out coffee but would on occasion have caffeinated beverages. Now I'm TTC #2 and I will have 16 oz of coffee or one caffeinated beverage per day. No alcohol. Its not coffee that's bad its the caffeine cause it accelerates the heart rate and I think van change blood flow so just in moderation....

I drink a latte each AM. Anything else is water or herbal tea. I usually drink raspberry leaf tea during my follicular phase, about 2-4 mugs daily (helps balance things, tone uterine muscles and promote lining) but once I know I ovulated I drink lemon & ginger tea, about 2 mugs daily because ginger is said to be good. I still drink my latte each day but that's all the caffeine I have. This isn't because I'm ttc, it's because too much caffeine makes my anxiety worse. From a ttc point, I would probably aim to keep my caffeine consumption to a maximum of maybe three mugs a day. You can always swap to decaf if you're concerned about it but it has been shown that a little caffeine each day is good for you. It's only when we drink it to excess - multiple coffees, teas, energy drinks - that we have problems with caffeine. If you're only having a couple of cups daily I wouldn't worry about it

i still drink it through pregnancy,s

I already drive myself crazy enough TTC and during the TWW. I think I would be a mess if I also had to give up coffee for 2 weeks every month!!!

I don't drink coffee or alcohol unless I'm on AF. In my research I found that coffee and alcohol can affect the ph of your uterus, making it more alkaline, so I just elect to stay away from it.

****Edit: Acidic not alkaline, sorry!

I don't drink coffee or alcohol unless I'm on AF. In my research I found that coffee and alcohol can affect the ph of your uterus, making it more alkaline, so I just elect to stay away from it.

Can you post a link to the information you found, please? I would like to read it :)

"Knowing that caffeine can cause fertility problems some of my patients switch to decaffeinated coffee in order to enhance their fertility. However, all coffee, be it regular or decaf, is acidic and can make the body and cervical mucus too acidic and so hamper conception. Several studies have shown that coffee (even decaffeinated coffee) can diminish fertility."

https://www.yinovacenter.com/blog/should-women-trying-to-conceive-cut-out-coffee/

https://resolve.org/infertility-101...sting-your-fertility-lifestyle-modifications/

https://yourfertility.org.au/Effects-of-caffeine-alcohol-and-smoking-on-fertility.pdf

There were more I can look for if you want :) In a class rn, but there were more about ph somewhere I was reading!

Of course! You got it, anytime :) I absolutely love to research!

Yeah I do too, just hadn't thought to research coffee much lol! Only what I have read before, but I guess it's pretty general information rather than ttc specific. How interesting it change the PH though, didn't think it would! You learn something new each day :)
Ok. Switching to tea. Lol! That's crazy, why isn't this information more widely available in ttc advice?!? In almost everything you read it's all about the caffeine and that drinking a cup of coffee when ttc is fine, it's just about avoiding overdoing it. I wish more detailed info like this was put out there more readily

Food can do amazing things! Like, for instance, DH won't put black pepper on anything I eat because it's a mutagen.

Black pepper?!? I have read loads on nutrition for ttc, pregnancy, aiding implantation and generally but haven't heard of anything to do with black pepper, or indeed the thing about coffee changing the PH, this is a first for me

Lol, it won't hurt you in small doses, and there are conflicting reports, I wouldn't read too much into it! DH is just super cautious about everything hahaha he's a nervous future-dad!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->