Do you need time away?

I work full time, but I still need some me time. My OH and I both take 1-2 evenings a week and go off on our own while the other watches Gabriel. I think it's good to take time away from him, being a mom is only one part of who I am.

I totally agree, we are more than just a mum. My hubby does football once sometimes twice a week, I'm going to try to get into swimming once a week. I definitely value a couple of hours out.

This is so normal, I work now and I appreciate my time with Thomas so much more becuase I have time to feel adult and human.
Some people wont get this and will feel awful being away from bubs for any length of time, I guess we just need to know that everybody is different and everyone copes with motherhood, lack of sleep etc in different way.
xxx

I wish I could! I've never been able to leave LO as she won't take a bottle (OH took her out for an hour once when I was ill) but now she's going longer between feeds I'd like to leave her for a bit. She's just starting to get separation anxiety though, so I'm not sure how sucessful it will be!

That said, I'm a bit of a control freak and I do worry that people won't look after her 'right' - ie there's a certain way she likes cuddles, certain songs we sing before naps etc. I'll have to bite the bullet soon!

Right now, I don't want any time away from my LO. :cloud9: We were apart long enough while he was in the NICU.

this is how i am. i missed out a week of his life due to him being in NICU ill never get that first week back. i love being with him, hes a pain sometimes (albit a cute pain) but hes mine =). me an oh do have a few hours on a friday night were really lucky that we live with my mum so she has him for us, i can also go and have a bath and get ready in a morning for an hour my mum will entertain him before she goes to work, oh also works from home so when hes not busy hell come and play with him for half an hour so i can get some dinner. you wouldnt be human if you didnt need time out every now and then having a baby is so hard rewarding yes but its nice to have a chance to miss alfie iykwim.

<3

Yesterday I felt so guilty, I was sitting at work finishing something and then realized I really don't want to go home and say good night. I usually run to make the train (I work 2-3 days in New York so have over an hour of commuting time and I barely make her bedtime). So it was daddy's turn to put her down and the first time I decided not to run, not to take a taxi and just let daddy handle this because for the first time I really didn't want to see anybody, was so exhausted. I felt crazy guilty after I didn't make her bedtime but it was good not to run 15 blocks, not to drive like a crazy person to give her a kiss etc. I am learning how to handle everything at once, full time job, the baby, the social life, the relationships etc and it is so hard, I feel like I am about to have a huge breakdown if I don't have some quiet me time.

Yesterday I felt so guilty, I was sitting at work finishing something and then realized I really don't want to go home and say good night. I usually run to make the train (I work 2-3 days in New York so have over an hour of commuting time and I barely make her bedtime). So it was daddy's turn to put her down and the first time I decided not to run, not to take a taxi and just let daddy handle this because for the first time I really didn't want to see anybody, was so exhausted. I felt crazy guilty after I didn't make her bedtime but it was good not to run 15 blocks, not to drive like a crazy person to give her a kiss etc. I am learning how to handle everything at once, full time job, the baby, the social life, the relationships etc and it is so hard, I feel like I am about to have a huge breakdown if I don't have some quiet me time.

:hugs: I remember the first time I stayed late at work and didn't rush right home. I felt bad, but everyone was fine. It's easier now that he's older and doesn't need me the instant I get home to BF, so I've got a bit of flexibility and my OH can take care of dinner if I'm running late just as well as I can.

Yes! At least twice a week I have a couple of hours to myself. I need it. Today for example, I asked my mum to have Summer for a couple of hours so I could do some extra housework and have time to myself. She stays two doors away so all I'm missing is the noise she makes haha xx

:hugs: I remember the first time I stayed late at work and didn't rush right home. I felt bad, but everyone was fine. It's easier now that he's older and doesn't need me the instant I get home to BF, so I've got a bit of flexibility and my OH can take care of dinner if I'm running late just as well as I can.
thanks x to make matters worse, she's actually at daycare, not home and we take turns who will be picking her up/dropping her off. I feel like such a shit mom not only going back to work and leaving her with strangers but also needing a time for myself when I already don't really see her enough. I can feel it will be a huge learning curve for me to be able to balance everything, right now I am just all over the place.

I would love if someone would take my LO every morning to give me a lie in, as I hate getting up in the mornings. Aside from that I don't feel I need a whole lot of me time, its just really the mornings I'm not good.

I do think its healthy to have time away from your baby and to do other things. I want to remain me as well as be Max's mammy :)

I think it's crucial to have some 'you time'. And I don't mean after LO has gone to bed, during the day if possible. If you don't have an OH to help, make sure you do something a little bit indulgent during LO's naptime.

Don't ever be made to feel guilty about this. I love my darling girl more than I ever thought and so much that it still shocks me sometimes! But I am not afraid to admit that yes, sometimes I want to be away from her for an hour or two.

This doesn't make me a bad mum, it makes me a better one for taking good care of myself and makiung sure I have time away only to come back to her fresh and full of even MORE love for having missed her so much.

I have to disagree with just a couple of responses you have received. JUst because LO might be a little angel who doesn't give you any gip, you STILL need time away here and there. Like someone else said, you are still a person with wants and needs. And they are still extremely important, as long as they are reasonable :)

every tues my mil takes nicole for the day and i luv it, unfortunately i never get to do something for myself, its always catching up with housework. :haha: hopefully i will get to do something for myself eventually

Yes. For peace of mind I think it's good to take a little break and do something for yourself. I go to the gym every night for 2 hours after dinner and my hubby stays home to watch Bella. I love it. I am doing something awesome for myself by taking care of Bella's mommy :)

I have pretty much had no time away from Ivy since she was born but now she is sleeping better I'm going to start going out with friends once a week, and I can't bloody wait! I don't feel guilty about that all, its nice to feel like an actual adult sometimes :)

I can only dream of a break away!
OH and I have had a couple of meals out with the older kids babysitting but I do worry as although LO is quite easygoing he does seem to fuss a lot on a night.
I would dearly love to get my eyebrows waxed but there's no room to take a pushchair in and I have nobody to have LO during the day. All I need is 10 minutes!

Im a single mummy so time off doesnt really happen! Even in the evening, your doing all the things you couldnt do during the day. FOBS mum had him for the first time on tuesday and it was BLISS! I spent the whole day ironing clothes for ebay and taking photos, but it was just nice to know i could get on. I kept "hearing" finn wake up in the bedroom. Think i was losing the plot, lol.

I'd love to have some "me time" I haven't really had any since dd was born. I love her more than I can put into words, but I am her primary caregiver and don't have anyone to really ask to look after her during the day for an hour, so were together 24/7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->