Do you NIP?

Tasha

4kids+2angels+16mc
Reaction score
I'm just wanting to hear experiences really, do you nurse in public? Do you only BF in certain places? Use a cover? I've done it once but faced a wall :haha:

I did, T had a voice on her when tiny and when you heard it, I would have just done anything to save the world from it :rofl:
I used H&M Maternity tops and you could never see anything, D sat in front of me for ages and he had no idea I was feeding in public the first time He said "Will she need a feed soon?" Erm..... :rofl:

Yes it just depends on where I am what I'm doing and what I'm wearing. Haha sometimes I will use a cover though I prefer not too. It's hot where I live to begin with so I feel horrid putting him under a nothing thing along with having to drink my hot milk :haha: I have walked around the grocery store a few times using two shirts one lifted the other down or if I have my nursing tank on I'll do it that way. No one has ever noticed from what I've gathered and if they did I never got funny looks or have had something said to me yet other than once at babiesrus an employee asked while checking out what I had under there (referring to the cover) and I told her a boy and she congratulated me.

I always wear two tops. A loose vest top or nursing vest top under another top so one goes up and the other down like a pp said. I feel less exposed that way and I have never really had anyone say anything. If I do feel uncomfortable feeding where I am I generally head to the car and feed there. X

Oh, and well done on nip at all, nothing wrong with what way you face, lol. The first few times are the scariest, it gets easier, and you soon realise that people aren't taking as much notice as you think xx

I've nursed on planes, playgroups, restaurants, friends houses, on the beach, round the pool, pretty much anywhere, but It does depend who I'm with and around. I find it easy to feed in front of strangers. I don't feed in front of my mum or sister because I don't feel comfortable with it, and I only really breastfeed in company of friends that themselves have breastfeed quite openly. Xx

I feed wherever I am and if it's hot I just wear one vest top which I pull down, if not I wear two tops. I never used a cover. Fortunately I live in a very mum friendly area and no one has ever paid any attention to me feeding. I did get a lovely comment from my dental hygienist the other day as I was feeding DD when she came out to call my name.

I've nursed in lots of places. I feel more comfortable wearing nursing tops (usually cheap and cheerful, like h&m) when NIP as it's so discrete I dont think most people even clock that I'm nursing. I have used a cover before, particularly early on when it took a while to get him to latch, but with the nursing tops I don't really need one.

Wherever you go there's usually a coffee shop or a bench or somewhere you can sit to nurse. If he's being really fussy I sometimes take him to a feeding room (they have them in most shopping centres or department stores) but that's mainly to stop him screaming the place down rather than for privacy reasons tbh

I wear a sports bra, tank top, and a loose over shirt. I put my hand though the top of the loose shirts neck hole and pull boob out from the top of my sportsbra and tank top, so my tummy is still covered. And then i position baby girl and lift the loose top enough for her to latch and it covers all of my breast. You cant really see anything at all.

I have nursed everywhere in restaurants, on benches in front of stores, in stores, at the park, you name it I've probably nursed there. I dont make it a feat. I just nurse my baby, if I'm at a clothing store. I usually ask kindly to use a fitting room to nurse in. Honestly i thought id be alot more scared of nursing in public, but all that matters is my baby eats.

I haven't had anyone really say anything to me either.. Well except once outside of Bed, Bath, and Beyond i was nursing in the bench and a man starred at me from the moment he got out of his care til he walked in the store. Two seconds later a lady who worked there came out and asked if id like to nurse inside, i kindly declined as there was no point in moving since she was nearly done. I'm nearly positive the guy complained but i just shrugged it off.

I still nurse discreetly but id never use a cover my daughter wont eat covered, she wails til she's purple with frustration and plus its far too hot here.

I nurse wherever whenever my girl needs it (although it's a bit harder now she's an 8 month old nosey fidget bum)

I nurse in public all of the time now but I was so nervous when I first had to. My saving grace has been baby wearing. When my son starts pulling at my shirt, I put him in a baby carrier (or, if he already in it, just move my shirt) and let him nurse away. No one has really been able to tell (to my knowledge) but I also bring a light hooded sweatshirt, cardigan, or front tie cover up to wear if I want extra privacy.

I've nursed at parks, at restaurants, on airplanes, in stores, at festivals, at a pool etc. I usually feel more comfortable when I'm around other moms but, that being said, I've only even gotten positive comments from strangers while nursing. When not in a carrier, my son just pulls my nursing cover off, so I either use the cover to sort of block the view without putting it over him or I just pull one side of my hoodie/sweater/etc to block anyone's views if I feel nervous about nursing in a super crowded place.

Yep. If baby's hungry, baby gets fed. I do try to be discreet about it, I cover with LO's blanket if I'm wearing a top that I pull down x

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm having such a negative time with family about BF in public (stuff like telling me I need to buy a cover, giving me formula to use when I'm out in the guise of being helpful etc) and it's making me even more anxious about doing it.

I think I'm going to buy a carrier today and hope that helps.

Aw try not to let them get to you.

A cover is fine but I found when wearing nursing tops you really cannot see anything...I think your family would be surprised; it's really hard to tell you're even nursing. But only do this if YOU want to. You should NIP however you feel comfortable, whether that's under a cover or with boob out; it's really not anyone else's business.

I've never had anything but positive comments from strangers when NIP. Most people don't even notice. They notice a screaming hungry baby a lot more!

My in laws can be funny when I'm NIP as well. I just carry on as normal and change the subject. It's them that need to get over any embarrassment so I just try an divert their focus. Most people you encounter won't care or even notice and hopefully once you've been doing it a while your family will come to see that and you can just get on with feeding your baby.

I used a nursing room today, I think doing that is going to help me get use to feeding around strangers and that will help since I know the people in there will be nice. The lady in there today was chatting to me, it was really nice.

I think I'm okay if DH is there (fed in a cafe with him) but not just me just yet.

For the first month or so I used a cover as I was feeling pretty self-conscious about it and I actually hadn't seen many other women breastfeeding in public. After realizing what a faff the cover was and just getting increasingly frustrated with it, I ditched it and went with the two-top method. I actually felt WAY more comfortable doing it that way as it felt more discreet to me.

I nursed my LO everywhere - malls, Costco, the zoo, playgroups, cafes, restaurants, planes, friends' houses, my mom's house, my IL's house, etc. By the time she was about 1.5 and relied less on nursing I would ask her to wait until we got home. I did nurse her on a plane when she was about 20 months old as it was preferable to the overtired meltdown she would've had otherwise!

It was definitely one of those things that got easier the more I did it. My DH was uncomfortable with it at first but he quickly got used to it and has become quite a supporter of NIP himself.

I go out to my car or somewhere private (except the bathroom!) I don't have a problem with it but it freaks my poor Hubby out and then we fight. My LO doesn't like a cover normally

Yes I NIP, dd does not like to wait to feed lol. I also wear 2 tops and you really can't see anything. I do have a cover but I only use it if I'm around fil or bil, I feel awkward feeding around them otherwise.

Oh and it does get easier the more you do it. I was really nervous about it at first, now I don't worry about it at all. I've never had a bad comment or anything either.

I fed at baby groups and things quite openly as I didn't feel there would be judgement there. Other than that, not really. With my first anyway. I would take him to a feeding room if I was out shopping, or would make sure he fed first (he was quite regular). With my second I nip a bit more as I had my eldest too and didn't think it was fair to drag him away from what he was doing to go to a feeding room. But I was never keen on it tbh as I felt self conscious. I was better if hubby was there, I did quite a lot if we were out for lunch or something.
I fully support the right to breastfeed anywhere, sometimes I wish I could be a bit more bold as it would be more normal then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->