Do you think CC/CIO is wrong?

brunette&bubs

Mommy to James
Reaction score
Just looking for opinions.....
I have done a lot of research on the topic.
:flower:

in times when the child really needs something like food, a change, comfort or attention, then no, I would never leave my LO to CIO, but I do believe in special circumstances.

Lately DD has been going through a stage where she is just extremely fussy from noon til 3 or 5, and I try EVERYTHING to calm her. After making sure all her needs are met, and trying multiple things over and over again to soothe her, my last resort is her screaming in my arms for about 10 mins until she exhausts herself or her father comes home. Hopefully she outgrows it soon

I won't say it's wrong completely, I personally don't agree with it. I do think that CC crying could be useful and if used correctly isn't bad, just not a method I would use. But I do not agree with just allowing them to CIO completely....I do think allowing them to cry for long periods of time is wrong.

in times when the child really needs something like food, a change, comfort or attention, then no, I would never leave my LO to CIO, but I do believe in special circumstances.

Lately DD has been going through a stage where she is just extremely fussy from noon til 3 or 5, and I try EVERYTHING to calm her. After making sure all her needs are met, and trying multiple things over and over again to soothe her, my last resort is her screaming in my arms for about 10 mins until she exhausts herself or her father comes home. Hopefully she outgrows it soon

I feel for you. DD still gets really cranky around five, and there's little I can do about it until she falls asleep. But I don't think that holding her while she cries is really considered CC/CIO. Those techniques are actually timed or regulated in most cases, and I think the baby is usually kept in a different room.

I ask because I get mixed feelings on the topic from various friends and family members.

James is 5 months.
He wakes up several times for his pacifier resulting in me getting about 30 minutes of sleep at a time.
So, I started reading Dr.Ferber's book and eliminated the paci and started his method of CC and so far we are on Day 2 and things are going pretty well.

I think some people think i am causing psychological problems????

I ask because I get mixed feelings on the topic from various friends and family members.

James is 5 months.
He wakes up several times for his pacifier resulting in me getting about 30 minutes of sleep at a time.
So, I started reading Dr.Ferber's book and eliminated the paci and started his method of CC and so far we are on Day 2 and things are going pretty well.

I am experiencing the same issue with the damn pacifier. How did you get rid of the pacifier and what is CC?

i'm one that believes it is harmful to the baby and the mother/child relationship, but to each his own of course

I wouldn't say it was wrong AFTER a certain age. I don't think I would ever use these methods, but I have never been in some of the positions that other mothers have been in. Also I feel that if I did have to use one of these methods that it would definitely be cc and not cio.

James is 5 months.

If you feel you need to do something that will help your LO later in life then do it. Besides, it's probably better that you get him off the paci now rather than later where the habit will be harder to break

James is 5 months.

I am experiencing the same issue with the damn pacifier. How did you get rid of the pacifier and what is CC?

In my personal opinion a 1 month old doesn't need CC or CIO quite yet.
It's normal for them to have erratic sleep patterns.
If you want to learn more buy Dr.Ferber's Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems book and it will explain better than I can.
But he recommends not using his methods on babies younger than 3 months.

Anyway, we just threw the paci's away and CC is controlled crying. We put him in his crib awake and kiss him goodnight and leave the room.
You come in at various intervals to comfort them.
The first night you go in at 3 min, 5 min, 10 min, and repeat 10 min until they fall asleep.
James has never gotten past 10 min and doesn't really hysterically cry more like whinging.

Hope this makes sense :flower:

I don't think CC is wrong but it's not something I tried with my little boy until he was about 18 months old and he just wouldn't go to bed in the evenings, in the end we just had to keep putting him back to bed and leaving him for a few minutes. It's not something that I would personally do with a baby but I don't think its wrong for someone else to do it if they think it's right for them (but not with a very young baby). I really don't like the idea of CIO though x

Personally I think CIO is barbaric and I hate to think the effects it has on a baby (or to be honest on anyone whos just left to 'cry it out' when for whatever reason they feel there is a reason to be upset)

I do however think CC may have a place for some babies, once past around 6 months. Would I use it? Umm no, I've not needed to yet as all our other techniques have worked for us :lol: so no, might I one day consider it? Possibly

We have been pushed to the limit with our LO, but thankfully PU/PD worked. There is no way on earth i could have done CIO with our LO as chokes and vomits when she gets in a state of inconsolable crying. It would be nsafe for us.

I can see that Controlled crying might be useful at the appropriate age.

Not wrong, everyone has their own opinion on things like this, I personally couldn't do it.

But it works for lots of people and I'm not going to judge.

xx

We did the Sleepsense programme with Abigail when she was 8 months old. It is not the same as CC or CIO as you stay with them but you don't pick them up, it is basically just teaching them to self settlement it was hard but I really think we all benefited from her sleeping better. She was waking up several times a night and would onlu settle if I BF her so I knew she needed to be able to settle herself. It worked really well and she has slept through ever since. I felt she was ready for it and it only really took a few nights. I think being able to self settle is a skill that some children do need help with and i don't think it's cruel to help teach them. Personally I would not use CIO but I know a lot of people who have and it has worked for them. I know some people think that sleep training is all about putting the needs of the parent whose of the child, but to be honest, I was back at work in a very demanding job and not managing well at home or at work on so little sleep so I think sometimes you do have to consider your need for sleep as a parent too once your child reaches a certain age. Sleeping better ay night also improved Abigail's mood in the day, and there is no way now that I would be functioning if I was up feeding her four or five times every night as well as doing the same with a newborn. So in a nutsheell, I think sleep training is a necessary evil in many cases and I am very glad we did it.

I wouldn't say it was wrong but its not something i could do. I'm way too soft and emotional for that. lol

I wouldn't say it is WRONG as I have never been in the postion where I needed to do it as there were no other options. 9 times out of 10 when I swaddle Owen and put him in bed and turn on his music and he is out for hours. BUT there have been times where he was just too tired to go right to sleep or he was not wanting to go to sleep at all. And I do the shush shush pat thing I think it is called? Or PU/PD.

However, before I had my LO I didnt understand why people thought it was so wrong to CIO/CC and when I used to read these debates on here I would (in my head) side with the people that said it was no big deal and think that the people that said it WAS a big deal were just being OTT. BUT, now that I have LO I can't STAND hearing him cry and I never ever leave him to cry. And I am rambling :)

I still don't let her CIO :lol: and she's always been an awful sleeper and still is. I'd hate to cry myself to sleep alone..

Before 6 months (though personally i feel 8 months would be more appropriate) i think CC/CIO to sleep train is completely wrong.

I feel if you left a helpless adult to cry like that it would be wrong yet its ok to do it to a young baby who cant help themselves?

I'm glad I've so far not needed to consider either of these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->