Doctors appointment

Mummy to be x

The 4 of us...♡
Reaction score
I have my first doctors appointment tomorrow, I'm basically hoping he will be able to help me in anyway he can, I've had two losses one mc and one mmc, both around 8 weeks along. I'm going to speak with him about this and express my concerns but what can I expect? Is there anything that they can prescribe or do? I'm going to ask about blood work to check HCG levels, do most doctors do this if you have good reason? I'm just so scared of been shrugged off, I'm petrified of a third loss.

Has anyone seen their doctor about anything similar? What can I expect? :shrug:

I have not experienced a loss. However I think asking for beta hcg would be reasonable (you would need to get a second draw though). With 2 losses I would also ask to have progesterone checked. As low levels can cause a pregnancy to fail. (If above 20 you should be ok if below ask for supplements). Don't take no for an answer. Find a dr willing to check it. Many drs don't like to use progesterone. I use a NaPro dr to check my hormones. The ER and other OB I've seen have questioned why.

I have not experienced a loss. However I think asking for beta hcg would be reasonable (you would need to get a second draw though). With 2 losses I would also ask to have progesterone checked. As low levels can cause a pregnancy to fail. (If above 20 you should be ok if below ask for supplements). Don't take no for an answer. Find a dr willing to check it. Many drs don't like to use progesterone. I use a NaPro dr to check my hormones. The ER and other OB I've seen have questioned why.

This is going to sound daft but what exactly is progesterone? And how do they check it? :flower:

I have also had two losses in the past and recently switched doctors last month. I went through all the new doctor appointments and got on a game plan with my new doctor. Well before we could start this "new game plan" I got pregnant. I found out I was pregnant when I was 4+2. The next day I called the doctors office. They told me the "normal procedure" was to wait until between 6 and 8 weeks to come in for a new OB appointment where they do blood work and an ultrasound. I told them of my history and said in both cases by the time I got my first blood work back it was too late and I miscarried. One of them was strictly because of low progesterone.

BTW - progesterone is a hormone that basically provides the mucous plug and thickens the lining of your uterus until the second trimesterish when the placenta takes over. If your progesterone levels are too low you will not be able to sustain the pregnancy. Most doctors will prescribe progesterone supplements if your levels are too low. Some won't because they believe that if you are going to miscarry you will and there is nothing they can do about it...I don't like these doctors.

Anyway, so when I called the doctor I basically insisted that they see me ASAP and check my HCG and progesterone levels. They saw me at 4+4 even though it was "against normal procedures". Things came back looking good and I go in tomorrow...6+0...for my REAL OB appointment and ultrasound!

I have my first doctors appointment tomorrow, I'm basically hoping he will be able to help me in anyway he can, I've had two losses one mc and one mmc, both around 8 weeks along. I'm going to speak with him about this and express my concerns but what can I expect? Is there anything that they can prescribe or do? I'm going to ask about blood work to check HCG levels, do most doctors do this if you have good reason? I'm just so scared of been shrugged off, I'm petrified of a third loss.

I didn't really get any "special treatment" with my first appointment. My doctor said the cause for my previous losses were bad luck.
(Mc and MMC) I had my progesterone levels checked along with my HCG, progesterone was high enough and I knew that wasn't the culprit.
I just scheduled a first appointment for 7 weeks, because I didn't want to stress my self out too much with early scans when you can't see anything anyways.
I did start spotting at 6 weeks and went to the EPU, I was told it was a small SCH, and the next week at my appointment my doctor didn't give me any special instructions other than no sex and rest. I did all the regular bloodwork.
The week after (still spotting) I went for another scan and the doctor again gave me the same instructions and didn't send me for any other tests or anything.
So far (fingers crossed and praying) everything looks good, as much as I would like to be more, I don't know, like I said before, given some sort of special treatment, there's really not a lot they can do, and I know that trying to relax and think positive is so much more helpful when you just tell yourself "everything is going to be OK".

Did they previous have you tested for blood clotting disorders?

I hope all your questions get answered at your appointment, keep us updated <3

I didn't really get any "special treatment" with my first appointment. My doctor said the cause for my previous losses were bad luck.
(Mc and MMC) I had my progesterone levels checked along with my HCG, progesterone was high enough and I knew that wasn't the culprit.
I just scheduled a first appointment for 7 weeks, because I didn't want to stress my self out too much with early scans when you can't see anything anyways.
I did start spotting at 6 weeks and went to the EPU, I was told it was a small SCH, and the next week at my appointment my doctor didn't give me any special instructions other than no sex and rest. I did all the regular bloodwork.
The week after (still spotting) I went for another scan and the doctor again gave me the same instructions and didn't send me for any other tests or anything.
So far (fingers crossed and praying) everything looks good, as much as I would like to be more, I don't know, like I said before, given some sort of special treatment, there's really not a lot they can do, and I know that trying to relax and think positive is so much more helpful when you just tell yourself "everything is going to be OK".

Did they previous have you tested for blood clotting disorders?

I hope all your questions get answered at your appointment, keep us updated <3
Nope they've not tested for that, they have no major concerns as I have a daughter who I carried up until term, I've updated my news in another thread x

Refer yourself to epu when your about 7 weeks, if the doctor don't do nothing. You've every right too Hun xx
My doctor told me to take aspirin when I was pregnant with my daughter due to 5 previous mc.
I never took it with my last 2 mc. I was told the reason why I mmc last time was due to slow rise beta and small gestational sac.

Fx crossed hopefully he will be sympathetic and help you.
Ask about aspirin

I have also had two losses in the past and recently switched doctors last month. I went through all the new doctor appointments and got on a game plan with my new doctor. Well before we could start this "new game plan" I got pregnant. I found out I was pregnant when I was 4+2. The next day I called the doctors office. They told me the "normal procedure" was to wait until between 6 and 8 weeks to come in for a new OB appointment where they do blood work and an ultrasound. I told them of my history and said in both cases by the time I got my first blood work back it was too late and I miscarried. One of them was strictly because of low progesterone.

BTW - progesterone is a hormone that basically provides the mucous plug and thickens the lining of your uterus until the second trimesterish when the placenta takes over. If your progesterone levels are too low you will not be able to sustain the pregnancy. Most doctors will prescribe progesterone supplements if your levels are too low. Some won't because they believe that if you are going to miscarry you will and there is nothing they can do about it...I don't like these doctors.

Anyway, so when I called the doctor I basically insisted that they see me ASAP and check my HCG and progesterone levels. They saw me at 4+4 even though it was "against normal procedures". Things came back looking good and I go in tomorrow...6+0...for my REAL OB appointment and ultrasound!

hope your scan goes well today. i havent had any loses as far as i no on third preg and got hcg bloods with second (unknown results but eas fine) i got severe abdo pain in both prev so had early scans 7-9weeks now 9+3 an so far not much abdo pains this time but bad sickness which didnt have before, but i had uti last week an posible again nw. Yous us at this stage will probs be vaginaally i had 1 with first but managed abdo scan second preg(didnt really get good look or pic second time as was make sure bubs was in womb. I also had my booking ins pretty soon after finding out so 5-7 weeks. This one was 2 weeks ago at 7+2. all the best everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->