Does a line, even very light always means a pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by FBbaby, Apr 26, 2009.

1. FBbaby

FBbaby ttc our Little Prince

Hello,
    I am a bit in shock tonight...I've just done a test, a supermarket brand that says it can detect 4 days early and it looks like a :bfp:. The test line is very very light, but it is definitely there. It took 5 minutes for it to show, but it is there. Can I take this as a definite (within the 99%) positive!

The thing is, I can't believe it could be happening. I came off the pill on Saturday 11th hoping to get the :witch: back, and then TTC. I had very strong period like pains and spoting a few days later, and since then, my uterus feels like it is being stretch all over. I have started to feel nauseous a few days ago, with yesterday being quite bad. I can't believe that I could be pregnant straight after coming off the pill, especially as I am 38 years old.

To make it more odd, my 1st child was born on 31/12, it took 10 months to get pregnant with my second, due date: 31/12, arrived 4/1, and now I calculated (as I could) that if I am trully pregnant, due date is....4/1......

Anyway, I don't dare jumping for joy yet, I can't believe it is real. Just scared that the line is too light to be a :bfp:

2. Rumpskin

Rumpskin Free to try again!

Hey sweetie, can you post your picture for us to see?

3. FBbaby

I so wish I could, but I'm using my work laptop (personal computer has broken down), would rather not download such a picture :rofl:

I think the only thing to do is test again tomorrow morning. I did test two days ago, and I thought I saw a hardly visible line, had to look at it squinting my eyes, and could only just about detect (or what I thought was guess) something in a certain light. I then tested with another brand (but one that claims results can only be detected the day after :witch: is due) last night and this morning, and these were :bfn: It is only taking out the first one out again that I thought I could definitely see a line. But as I read that after 30 minutes, the test is not valid anymore, I decided to test again (with the same brand than first one), and here I am!

PS: sorry for the spelling mistakes, my fingers and mind are not working too well!

4. Rumpskin

Rumpskin Free to try again!

Best not to download piccys on the work laptop :blush:

Good luck for testing tomorrow and hope it brings you a :bfp:

:hug:

5. amy.j

amy.j cautiously expecting :)

Hi they are pretty accurate and they always say the strength of the line doesnt matter if its there then your pregnant although the only time it can lie is upto 2 weeks after a miscarriage good luck and congrats otherwise xxxxx

6. caz81

caz81 Well-Known Member

it does not matter how light the line is - a line is a line!! fx for when you retest but it sounds good to me xx

7. FBbaby

Thank you for your quick replies. I am trying not to look at it too much, but there is definitely a line there. I am in complete shock, I trully didn't expect this. My OH asked me three weeks ago if I'd be prepared to have another child (it will be his first), I told him that I would be delighted, but absolutely did not want a winter baby again, so we would have to start TTC this summer or next year. He said he wanted to start asap...I stopped the pill because I thought it would take time for things to get back to normal... I am of course over the moon, and massively grateful. I am fully aware how lucky I am, especially at my age.

8. Noodles

Noodles Mummy to two boys!

Hiya hun!

Have a look at this, it's from peeonastick.com

The positive line is really faint. Is this okay?
    An HPT tells you exactly one thing: your urine either has detectable pregnancy hormone in it, or it doesn't. The darkness or lightness of a line doesn't mean much. Generally speaking, a very light line can mean there is a small amount of hCG in your urine, and a very dark line can mean there is a larger amount of hCG in your urine. This is why you may get a faint positive at 10 DPO but a darker positive at 18 DPO. However, this is not always true. Tests are all different, and even tests in the same box may differ in sensitivity. Comparing light/dark lines will just drive you nuts. If you see a line in the "results" window, you're preg!

Congrats!

9. JemmaD

JemmaD 3rd trimester

ohhh good luck hun i hope it is a bfp keep us updated!!!! id say a lines a line! x

10. FBbaby

Thank you Noodles and Jemma.
    Everything has happened so quickly, it is going to take time to register I think. It took me 5 months to get preg with number one, 10 months with number two, and that was 7 years ago.... I guess nature is full of surprises and I hope there will be plenty more here for everyone :hugs::hugs::hugs:

11. NuKe

NuKe mummy to 2 gorgeous girls

if there's a line there, you're def preggo!! congrats!!! im so jealous!

12. Beee

Beee Well-Known Member

Its rare that a test would show a false positive result, so I'd say its looking pretty likely for you!!! :happydance: Good luck!! xxxx

13. sam#3

sam#3 Lactivist & Intactivist

A line is a line hun. Congratulations xx

14. Cherry Cherry

Cherry Cherry Well-Known Member

I am in the same position as you my dear! But I did a digi the next day and it said 'pregnant'! Can't wait to see this thread tomorrow!

I read in Zita West's 'Fertility and Conception' that you are very fertile when you come off the pill, then your fertility drops - strange but true, according to her.
    Sounds good though! FX FX xoxo

15. Phexia

Phexia Sort of ttc nr. 4

Was the line pink? It sounds like the real thing :)

16. Sparklebaby

Sparklebaby Mummy to Jenny

good luck with this morning babes. I dont know where I am to be honest but afetr reading that bit from a poas site I am half tempted to go buy some 10 miu tests later. I need to stop crying first and get rid of my puffy eyes. Good luck darling an Il be watching out for you. xx

17. FBbaby

Thank you everyone, I am feeling really welcome here and congratulations cherry :hug: Unfortunately for me, we didn't finish in the same position :rofl:

I hadn't realised when I first posted that there was such a thing as an evaporation line.... and I couldn't remember how long it took for it to show, although it did feel about 10 minutes, so started having doubts. I did another test last night, but by then, I had peed another two times, so couldn't have been too concentrated, and that came back negative in the first 10 minutes, with a faint line but fainter showing this morning. The one I did last night is now showing distinctively, but still think it was an evaporation one. In the end, I decided to do a digital test this afternoon, one that claims to detect pregnancy 4 days early, but it came back :bfn:

I know that until the :witch: comes there is still hope, but I am getting a bit tired of the maybe/surely not feelings, so decided to accept I am not pg. I am still getting strong pulling feelings in my uterus, back and sides, so if that is the sign of the :witch: on her way, I wish she'd press on the accelarator a bit more, she is taking ages to arrive :happydance:

Good luck sparklebaby, I really hope it is a :bfp: for you :hug::hug:

18. Sparklebaby

Sparklebaby Mummy to Jenny

thank you darling. sorry u got :bfn: it could be too early for you? hope af doesnt arrive but yeah let us know what happens xxxxx

19. FBbaby

I've just read your thread Sparkle. So frustrating isn't it :hugs: We seem to go from one end to the other. I keep looking at the line which is now so defined, not so faint any longer, it stares at me in the eyes, and I can't help but wonder how this can be evaporation, but the fact is I have done two other tests since, and both :bfn: so pretty much accepts it now.

I cross my fingers for you with the digi. At least with it, the answer is straight forward, no delibarating on the colour or the timeframe :hug:

20. JemmaD

JemmaD 3rd trimester

any sign on anything hun? xx