Does anybody not follow the formula rules?

gk1701

Reaction score
We are throwing lots of money down the sink because the formula box says to throw formula away if it's been more than one hour since the start of the feed and the baby still hasn't finished. We also don't re-heat more than once. Does anybody use a bottle if it's been sitting out more than an hour after the baby started drinking from it or break any of the other formula rules?

I thought it was 2 hours? Are you using a particular brand?

My brand was 2 hours after bottle was made and I would stick to it. I'd go over by 10 mins if needed but not longer.

no that's one rule I don't bend. i feed and chuck whatever has not been used straight away

Hmm It really depends, if he has had an oz or so and then fallen asleep I do sometimes put it back in the fridge ( hangs head in shame)although this is very rare
I also make up bottles in bulk so make 5 at night and that lasta the next day.
We havnt came across any issues with this, I was breastfeeding to begin with and didnt really have a clue what to do qith formula when I started

I don't tend to break that rule - but my boys have tended to eat every 2-3 hours anyway so by the time the 2 hours is up, they're ready for the next full one :wacko:

I make in bulk, don't sterilise after they start weaning (what's the point?!) and I use freshly boiled water rather than cooled to 70degrees etc etc ones. I store in the fridge then reheat, usually in the microwave.

I know I know....naughty naughty! lol :blush:

No I don't bend that rule either, mainly because the formula stinks and I just think it must taste as nasty as it smells once it's cooled lol! But some PP's are right most brands say 2 hours is the max not just 1. My lg generally drinks most within 5 mins anyway lol, she's a greedy little monkey! But if she's ever being fussy and doesn't drink much I tend to just chuck it away.

1 hour is the max you can leave it for if it is a bottle thats been pre-made, been in the fridge and then been heated up. The max for a fresh bottle is 2 hours. I have been known to go over this ever so slightly but not by much as the bacteria in the milk can cause problems for baby.

I knoe you're supposed to make fresh feeds but I always make up bottles in advance, store in fridge and then heat up (in microwave...bad lol) xx

I don't go over the hour as he normally guzzles it in 20-30 mins anyway, but I premake bottles and put them in the fridge then warm them by putting the bottle in a bowl of boiling water. My BIL & SIL basically taught me how to do bottles and this is what they do too lol.

I thought it was 2 hours max but I would tend to throw it away after about an hour anyway x

I uses Gerber gentleease (sp?)- similac and enfamil also have the 1 hour rule.

I do break that rule as LO grazes. We also don't heat it up; comes straight from the fridge because, well she'd take it straight out of the fridge during the hot summer and doesn't like warm milk now! But I know many people r not comfortable doing this. So, before any arguing starts, I'm not advocating it just saying we do leave it more then 2 hours.

I don't bend that rule! I wouldn't drink old milk that had sat out!

What we use says to not use after 2 hours. Generally, I don't, but if it's been 2 hours and 15 minutes and she's genuinely hungry, then yes, I'd give it to her. I don't think a few extra minutes really matter, but I also make the bottles fresh so they haven't been sitting in the fridge all day already which I think probably buys a bit more time. My daughter is a very slow eater, so takes her about 2 hours of snacking to eat anyway. Otherwise, nope, I do it all my the book, except for sterilising. We stopped that mostly around 5 months, though I did keep doing just the teats until 6 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->