Does the amount of milk produced effect amount of calories you burn?

Mrs5707

Mama
Reaction score
I am just wondering if the amount of milk your body makes has any effect on how many calories you burn while breastfeeding. I *think* what actually burns the calories is your body making milk, not the act of physically breastfeeding (which I'm sure you burn then to) of course I could be wrong this is just my thoughts here... but if anyone knows if the amount made correlates with calories burned I would be interested to know. :shrug:

I was thinking that the amount of milk you produce would have some effect on how many calories you burn but I make 40oz per day of milk and have had 35lbs of the 70lbs left to lose from pregnancy. I've had that much left since 2 weeks pp and haven't lost a single pound since then. I don't actually breastfeed though. I pump. So maybe the way a baby can get it out causes you to burn more calories? I'm not sure. People told me how breastfeeding is amazing for losing weight but im just not seeing it.

Yeah I know how you feel, I have lost about 30lbs and have 15 to go and they don't seem to want to budge, I'm almost 10 weeks pp, and I pump, too and only nurse at night... :shrug:

I breastfeed exclusively and haven't lost a pound really since the initial weight loss! Whoever said the weight would fall off while bf'ing lied!!

interesting, I lost all my baby weight plus some by 6-months! i also eat like a horse now! :)

I haven't lost any since my initial weightloss and I ebf. I wish it fell off!

When i had my 7 yo the weight melted off and i stopped nursing when she was about 3-4 months old, this time I've nursed 7 months so far and i lost the initial weight (206 the day before he was born dropped down to 170) but then out of the blue i GAINED weight and I've been stuck at 191....wth!?!

Interesting thought. I would guess that you burn the calories from your body making the milk. So the more milk, the more you burn?!

I also lost 24lbs (all of my pregnancy gain) by 2 weeks pp. now at 5weeks pp, I have only lost 1 more lb. I was hoping to lose some extra with bf :haha:

Hmm I'm not sure but I have definitely found BF to make me lose loads of weight! I was back to prepregnancy weight in about 4/5 days pp lol and within a couple of months I weighed a stone less than I did prepregnancy... I was already very slim so this was not intended and rather a surprise!! My weight has remained the same now - I wonder if I'll go back up to normal weight when I stop breasfteeding?!

Not sure either but I do know that I am fatter than I was before I fell pregnant!! Urghh! BF makes me soooo hungry! Like a hunger I've never felt before ha ha! Actually looking forward to getting my body back once I stop.

Breastmilk averages 22cal/oz, so I figure if I pump out 10oz, that should equal 220 calories, right? I don't really know, but it makes sense in my mind :).

There is a school if thought that your body switches into "famine" mode whine breast feeding and in order to preserve you and this results in you not bring able to shift a pound. This happened to my with dd- only boost weight after I finished bf.

I have pumped exclusively for 7 months now and I lost the 33lbs I gained being pregnant plus 6 more so now I'm down to 120lbs. Pumping is just as effective as straight breastfeeding as far as losing weight goes in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->