Dog advice needed

tina_h75

mommy of 3
Reaction score
Now that the kids are getting bigger, I've been thinking about getting a dog. I have looked into what would suit us as a family and it seems the best dog suited for us is a bulldog, which is great because I love them and they are probably my favourite dog - however, the £1800 price tag is a bit of an issue! So, does anyone have any recommendations for a dog suitable for a small house and garden with children aged between 3 and 6 yrs ?

thank you :thumbup:

If the initial cost of a bulldog scares you, don't get one. It will cost triple that in vets bills a year.

If the initial cost of a bulldog scares you, don't get one. It will cost triple that in vets bills a year.

Curious...how??

The only time I've spend major bucks on my pets if they got injured. And thankfully that's only happened twice in 8 years (peach pit obstruction and broken tail).

OP - my bff just got a bulldog and she also spent $1800. She is totally in love with her girl who is now at 40lbs and about 5-6 months old! She's a biiiig girl, and a real lovebug.

We have three dachshunds and my parents just got a Portuguese Water Dog. All great breeds.

When choosing a dog you want to look at what class they're in (i.e. working class, toy, hound). The class can tell you the characteristics of those dogs and the level of activity they require. I personally would never get a working class dog since I don't have the acreage or time to spend exercising them. But my dachshunds (hounds) are wonderful in their level of activity (and they actually sleep... A LOT haha).

PM me anytime if you have questions. :)

Wht don't you look into adoption or rescue?

We have Newfoundlands and an Alaskan Malamute - wonderful dogs but not really suited to a small house. I would think a Cavilier King Charles Spaniel would be a great dog, brilliant with kids, a nice size, quite calm dogs. I show dogs at championship level so I get to see all the different breeds regularly. If you could it would probably be really good for you to go to a local dog show and meet different dogs and speak to breeders/owners. Also, visit your local shelter and speak to breed rescues as you might find the perfect dog for you there. Just make sure any breeder you buy from is reputable (kc registered, meet the parents, all breed specific health tests done and look at certificates, lifetime support where they will take the dog back incase there is any problems.) x x

I'm sure there are plenty of dogs you could chose from at your local shelter at it's beyond a fraction of the price as you would buying it from a breeder. Please try to avoid buying it from a breeder or a pet store. Not trying to push you to do something but it breaks my heart when I hear people leaning towards the breeding angle because for every dog bred is one put down somewhere in a shelter. Ultimately it's your choice and I wish you all the luck in the world at finding a new companion :)

I'm sure there are plenty of dogs you could chose from at your local shelter at it's beyond a fraction of the price as you would buying it from a breeder. Please try to avoid buying it from a breeder or a pet store. Not trying to push you to do something but it breaks my heart when I hear people leaning towards the breeding angle because for every dog bred is one put down somewhere in a shelter. Ultimately it's your choice and I wish you all the luck in the world at finding a new companion :)

We have had two rescue dogs in my family and I only have good things to say about them, but it is very difficult to get a rescue dog over here if you have young children.

Whippets make lovely family dogs, they are great with children and not too big.

I have a cocker spaniel and she is wonderful... At 2 yrs she is a calm dog and loves the kids. Ds is also 2 and they are best friends. We have a small house and garden and that's fine for her. Older kids walk her during the week and she is fine with once round the block (she will go miles though if needed!) she has a doggy flap and comes and goes during the day we only have a small garden but its perfect for her. She is half show half working. The only thing i would say is they are known to be clingy and she is very...! However that is fine for us (she is fine to be left when all working) just means there is a fluffy shadow each time i go to the loo!

Any kind of spaniel would be good! Or how about a Labrador or retriever! They're popular family dogs for a reason!
We have 2 rescues, a lab cross and a husky. We adopted the husky just after our soon was born, the dog is beyond stupid, and sometimes tends to be hyperactive, but when he's with the baby he's a totally different dog, he has the patience of a saint with him. And the lab cross is very protective of LO too. Licks his toes, and allows the baby to poke and prod him all he wants. They both think it's a great game with LO. They're two great family pets.
Poodles, collies and any kind of sheep dog usually make great pets too.

Thank you everyone, some very good advice!

I did have a rescue dog before some years ago and unfortunately it didn't work out and we couldn't keep him. It was a couple of years ago, my eldest was only 3 and she was on a buggy board with the 2 boys in a double buggy. I did explain that I needed a dog that was used to being walked and controllable on a lead but this dog, lovely as he was, was a complete nightmare. He was huge and over excited - every time a dog came near he would do somersaults and it wasn't safe to take him out and not fair to leave him in the house so I had to hand him back. I'm not saying that all rescue dogs would be the same, but I would rather have a dog as a puppy and be able to train him myself.

Labradors are lovely dogs, I grew up with one and she was the most gentle animal ever. I did consider a collie as well, but thought they would need a larger garden to burn off a bit of energy in between walks.

Its a huge decision and I am going to consider it carefully - I'm certainly not going to get a dog for the sake of it, if I can't find one suitable then I suppose we will just have to make do with the fish tank!

thanks again. x

I would second any kind of spaniel! We have a springer hes brilliant with our lo, maybe a cocker if you only have a small garden!

Can I please just say if you are considering getting one- please consider getting a rescue. I used to volunteer at my local rescue one day a week and they had more than 30 dogs there. So many that some of the older ones had to be euthanised because they weren't getting any interest and costing the shelter money with veterinary bills etc. Don't think they all have "problems" and they are all older dogs. There were lots of puppies there, dogs a few years old and elderly dogs who make a great first time dog as they aren't as energetic and gets you used to owning a dog without the excitement and energy of a younger dog or puppy.

One of the most important things to get for a dog is insurance. An accident can be costly and could be the difference between your vet putting your dog down because you can't pay for it's treatment and it going on to live for another 5, 10, 15 years. They are a long term responsibility and it is like having another child- be prepared to be followed everywhere unless you cage them and dogs such as Jack Russells need long walks everyday (I still have to walk mine for at least an hour and i'm 39 weeks pregnant!).

With that said they do make excellent companions. You can never be lonely with a dog a round and they a good source of free entertainment!

You can still get a puppy from a rescue. If you're set on a bulldog, google and see if there are any bulldog rescues in your area. Breed-specific rescues are smaller and more hands-on. You're much more likely to find a dog that has been living with a foster family and getting worked with daily. :thumbup:

I get that your previous dog had an issue but did you enroll him in class? If it was not aggression a class would have solved issue for a walking on leash calmly.

Getting a puppy means accidents in house and all the other training/crating. Not eating kids toys, the carpet, walls.... Pups are great but I really would be checking out what class you plan to go to or reading up on training now rather then once dog is here. No idea about prices. If it is a pet store you will pay more for "rare" or unusually marked pups-when many are puppy mill or badly bred=money pit down road for breeding not for confirmation but just greed.

I got an adult of craigslist for 100. 3ish years old mostly great girl minus a thief of food/towels. My puppy was 9 weeks old and good. Potty training took a few good months to nail down and in mean time all the area rugs were picked up. She has numerous issues with legs and a money pit. a lovable money pit though:p

Curious...how??

They are a breed riddled with heath problems.

Entropia, elbow and hip displacia, breathing issues, heart disease, lazy bowel, spinal curvature, skin disorders, foliculitis, nail bed deformity, cancer, recurrent uti, allergies, failure to breed naturally, vaginitis, cryptochidism, seizures, heat sensitivity, disc collapse to name a few.

Rather go for a more natural breed. Human intervention has turned them into deformed freaks of nature.

I saw a programme recently and there are a lot of bulldog breeders who are trying to breed out the bad traits (hip and breathing problems for example) but anyway. I second the cocker spaniel vote. I have 2 and they are so so gentle with my 6 month old, he pulls their ears and fur and they just take it. They'll walk for hours if you want them too, equally they'll snooze in the house all day and be just as happy xx

We've just bought an American bulldog just a couple of weeks ago, although we only paid £130 because the lady still had all the pups at 13 weeks old and think she just wanted them to go to new homes before she kept them. She had the mum, dad, gran and grandad there too, all lovely dogs.
She is quite good on the lead already. She doesn't seem to like going in the garden though for some reason, so she's still doing her business in the house sometimes but she will get there (my dads 8 month old puppy still does occasionally indoors). But most importantly she is really good with my 20 month old toddler, when we first had her she would jump and knock him over, she soon learnt not to jump, she even lets him climb all over her and she follows him around. We don't have a big garden and our house is only small so she does get a bit wild but she's not allowed on the fields before having the parvovirus injection.

I'd take the advice of a pp and speak to people who own different breeds etc xx

Spaniels are great family dogs. Am bulls too.

Chinese Cresteds make great family pets. If you don't like the hairless look look for a powderpuff which is normally coated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->