Dog help!

FlowerFairy

James, Noah, Saskia, Lumi
Reaction score
How do you feed your dog?
We're struggling with our 15 month old ridgeback-lab cross. He's pooing in his bed and suffering with diarrhoea a lot :(. He was fed once a day at around 3.30 on large breed puppy food.
On advice from pets at home he's now fed twice a day on part puppy food, part sensitive food.
He's walked every morning for an hour and every evening for 2 hours and has roughly 4-5 poos in a day. He was pooing his bed at night and he's done it again just now even though 10 mins before I took Him out for a wee!!

We are getting do stressed cos it's not pleasant with a newborn and a toddler in the house :(
Help!!!

Are you feeding him on dry, wet or mixed food? We feed our dog at 7am and 7pm with dry food from the vet. When we first got him, he was on a mix of wet and dry food but the wet food has never agreed with him for some reason - he would just poop constantly! Now he goes first and last thing like clockwork :)

Have you tried getting advice from your vet? They may be able to help you over the phone. May be worth looking on the internet at the breed too in case it's a common thing.

Good luck hun :flower:

He is in dried food. Internet does say ridge backs are probe to tummy upsets. Things we've read say to feed an hour before a walk which is what were trying at the mo. last time we saw the vet it cost £60!!!! For some sensitive food. Just can't afford that every time he gets diaorhea :(

Switch him to just hamburger (cooked) and rice until his tummy isn't upset anymore. NO DOG FOOD (or treats). I would do it just once a day and keep him out for at least an hour. How big is his bed? If it's too big they will still go in there.

He is in dried food. Internet does say ridge backs are probe to tummy upsets. Things we've read say to feed an hour before a walk which is what were trying at the mo. last time we saw the vet it cost £60!!!! For some sensitive food. Just can't afford that every time he gets diaorhea :(

Blimey, 60 quid is a bit steep! Have you looked at the Royal Canin website? Our dog had skin conditions, a funny tummy and a weight problem until we got him on the right food.

Might be worth a look? Can't think of the web address but a quick google should uncover it :thumbup:

ETA - the PP is right too in saying that rice is good for when they have a dose of poopy-bum :)

Here you go, try this -

https://www.royalcanin.co.uk/dog-product-finder

Our schnauzers had colitis,one worse than the other. We changed their food to James well beloved and haven't looked back. No table treats as these are bad(scooby was bad a few weeks back,seemingly it was the cheese Emily was dropping from the high chair,Dairys a big no no). We were told to stick to the same flavour and everything,apparently dogs don't get bored! Good luck I know it's frustrating. Is there any sign of pink in it or a water like fluid at the end? Could be the dog needs an probiotic and an antibiotic to clear up a bug first.

Thanks all. We did 3 days of chicken and rice but we can't afford that forever. The vet gave him royal canin so might be worth a look at the site to get some of that again.
He gets so much exercise so we know it's not that

The poo doesnt have blood in it this time. We did google IBS in dogs and it's similar symptoms so if this doesn't clear up we might have to take him to vets again. X

Our dog had runny poos also and after a bit of research, we decided on the Royal Canin, its not the cheapest but we noticed a difference straight away with him. It is well worth it. (dont forget when you are changing his food, do it gradually, by mixing what he is used to with the new food)
Q? Has he been wormed?
If so, I would recommend bringing him back to the vet, at his age, he shouldnt be pooing in his bed, not when you do take him out.
Hope he gets sorted soon :)

Is he still having the runs with the chicken and rice? You can also give them Pepto, but no other medications for it.

When he had the Chicken and rice he didnt have any problems x

Hm, My dog has Bakers Complete, three smaller meals each day. Shes always been fine on it :( I'd carry on trying vets advice babe. x

if the dried food arent working it could be worth doing some research into a raw diet. it can really help if u dont find a dog food that works. make sure u arent feeding too much too, as manufacturers usually advise feeding more than is really needed as it helps them sell more. I have had similar problems with my two and i find the salmon and potato dog foods the most effective. Some dogs can actually be intolerant to rice which is in alot of dry food. i starve mine for 24 hours when it kicks off and just give them pro-kolin or canikur paste (available from amazon ) then gradually reintroduce dry food again. beware of recipe changes from manufacturers tho coz this can set it off, as can flavour changes or eating food scraps scavenged on a walk. i know how frustrating it is, i really feel for u. im am seriously looking into converting mine to raw when they are over a year old after doing some research into what crap goes into dried dog food.

Edited to add, if urs doesnt have probs when on just chicken and rice then it does sound like the food is too rich for him. mine dont get on with JWB at all or Royal Canin, i can only give mine salmon and potato wainwrights or they get the squits. Shame they dont actually like it that much. i have to put sardines or marmite on it .

bruno used to poo in his bed at night, everynight without fail. so he now gets fed at roughly 10am and 5pm everyday. he very rarely has an accident in his bed now (apart from when he ate my kebab at about 10pm the othernight!!) he gets fed superdog dry food. sometimes i do him fish and boiled rice with peas nd sweetcorn as a treat though lol. xx

They also sell several grain free brands now. That may help, but they are a bit pricey. Does the food you have now have any corn or corn gluten? With the introduction of GMO corn the incidence of corn allergies has risen (I now have one also) and most foods do contain corn.

I have an 18 month cocker and she has pets at home dried food then once a week she has a portion of liver. Food is down all the time and every night she used to poo in the kitchen while we ere asleep. We tried everything but nothing worked until my cat died and then daisy was allowed to sleep upstairs with us... We have had no accidents since! Agree with pp rice and chicken good for poorly tums. My mums old dog had very bad tummy for last year of his life and she had to cook either meat and rice or meat and potato for each meal! (she also had to spoon feed it as he had no appetite)
If your dog sleeps on it's own at night could it be a stress behaviour rather tan a tummy issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->