• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Doula's & Birth Partners....

I'm pretty surprised they dont all allow quiet babes in arms TBH. A friend of mine was off on a breech conference 2 wks after her LO was born and had no probs at all :shrug:

I know, it's a real shame isn't it :(

I was really disappointed when she told me no. Then I perked up when I looked into Michel Odent's course as they allow 'quiet' babes-in-arms.... til I discovered it costs £1K!
Ahhhh, but that's because he's the 'Godfather' of Doulaing!! (Apparently makes ladies go weak at the knees, despite being in his 70's!! :winkwink:

Our course was the same Lisa - one lady said George was welcome with a carer & that he wouldn't be a disturbance if he was feeding etc, the other said no, as bubbas are too distracting!!
I did take him & my mum tho, and we just managed to work coffee breaks & lunch etc around his feeds :) no probs at all xxxx

I was really disappointed when she told me no. Then I perked up when I looked into Michel Odent's course as they allow 'quiet' babes-in-arms.... til I discovered it costs £1K!
Ahhhh, but that's because he's the 'Godfather' of Doulaing!! (Apparently makes ladies go weak at the knees, despite being in his 70's!! :winkwink:

Yeah, I always hear great things about him but £1K, sheesh! I don't care how knee-quivering he is :haha:

Hehe.
I Googled a pic & my, my - bet he was lush in his hay day!!
Yeah, £1,000 is a bit much :(

Oh Yay!!! A doula thread!! :thumbup:

I am in the process of taking a pre/post-natal fitness and nutrition course (I worked part time in the fitness field in addition to my full time job) But I hope to not go back to my regular job (hours really long & very high stress) and instead do pre-post-natal support including fitness and nutrition. I am hoping to take a birth doula course once I am finished with what I'm doing now - I just need to get LO napping! LOL ..

I am in Canada and am looking into CAPPA as they have combined certification courses, but I also like the look of the Birth Arts International syllabus! I am especially interested in VBACs.

So hello to you all! :wave:

Hi Sun :)
I have a personal interest in Vbac's too....
Although actually, I'd like to go for Hbac, as I WILL get my home birth!!

Hi I am Steph, and currently mid training with 'Developing Doula's' with Emma and loving every minute of it.

I am Mum to 3 gorgeous boys 13,11 and 8. Doulaing has been calling me for about 7 years, and now I am finally able to embark upon my dream.

Would love to hear from any other 'Doula's' or anyone who has used one

xx

Hi Steph :)
Lovely to see you here. This thread is quite new, so not always as busy as some of the others. Hope you're well honey xxxx

Hi Steph :) how are you finding the course? From what Emma says, it sounds really good!

Oh Yay!!! A doula thread!! :thumbup:

I am in the process of taking a pre/post-natal fitness and nutrition course (I worked part time in the fitness field in addition to my full time job) But I hope to not go back to my regular job (hours really long & very high stress) and instead do pre-post-natal support including fitness and nutrition. I am hoping to take a birth doula course once I am finished with what I'm doing now - I just need to get LO napping! LOL ..

I am in Canada and am looking into CAPPA as they have combined certification courses, but I also like the look of the Birth Arts International syllabus! I am especially interested in VBACs.

So hello to you all! :wave:

Welcome sun! I am in Canada too and Cappa is also the course im looking into... What is the Birth Arts Int??

Welcome sun! I am in Canada too and Cappa is also the course im looking into... What is the Birth Arts Int??

Birth Arts Int is another certifying doula program - I don't know if I can post a link but if you google it, you should find it right away. I do like how well known DONA and CAPPA is though - Apparently lots of doulas get clients from their websites because they are the two biggest doula organizations in
North America. There is a combined workshop in Ottawa in the fall that I am looking to take - the birth/postpartum doula one! I do like the idea of being in-person for at least part of the courses, to get some hands-on teaching and meet up with other aspiring doulas!

Great to meet you!!! :happydance:

xx

Sun - where did you get that 'Happy Camper' hat?? I love it!!

Sun - where did you get that 'Happy Camper' hat?? I love it!!

I know it is so cute!!! It actually has a matching little Tshirt too. I am sad it is too warm to wear anymore - sniff! But I got it as a gift from my brother and sister-in-law when they went to Lake Placid, USA! They apparently got it at a little shop there! But it is simple - you could probably buy a hat and get it printed!

xx

It is so adorable!!
I'm hoping to start my assignment tonight. I did fairly well with my PND research (well, as well as you can inbetween Georgie nap times, the ironing, cooking dinner etc!!)

Does anyone else do much at their local childrens centre??
I am thinking of approaching them & asking whether or not Vici and I (of course, if Vici definitely wants to - hehe) could hold some groups there.
Here's my ideas for groups, what do you all think....
A) a 'Natural mamas' type group, where we can meet to chat about cloth nappies, baby wearing, co-sleeping, BLW, etc. etc.
B) a 'Mums in confidence' type meet, where mums can meet (with or without their lo's) to talk about PND, birth trauma, PTSD etc. (I thought of this one as when reading peoples views on PND, mums seemed to say that ordinary mum & baby groups can be too stressful, as they feel they have to keep up apperances etc.)
C) I'd like to try and have a bit of a chat with mums and dads to be about Doulaing during their antenatal classes.

Do you reckon these sound ok? If you had the option to attend, do you think you would?xx

It is so adorable!!
I'm hoping to start my assignment tonight. I did fairly well with my PND research (well, as well as you can inbetween Georgie nap times, the ironing, cooking dinner etc!!)

Does anyone else do much at their local childrens centre??
I am thinking of approaching them & asking whether or not Vici and I (of course, if Vici definitely wants to - hehe) could hold some groups there.
Here's my ideas for groups, what do you all think....
A) a 'Natural mamas' type group, where we can meet to chat about cloth nappies, baby wearing, co-sleeping, BLW, etc. etc.
B) a 'Mums in confidence' type meet, where mums can meet (with or without their lo's) to talk about PND, birth trauma, PTSD etc. (I thought of this one as when reading peoples views on PND, mums seemed to say that ordinary mum & baby groups can be too stressful, as they feel they have to keep up apperances etc.)
C) I'd like to try and have a bit of a chat with mums and dads to be about Doulaing during their antenatal classes.

Do you reckon these sound ok? If you had the option to attend, do you think you would?xx

I've dug that book out (is it me or is that really bad grammar?!), PM me your address hun...

Your ideas for groups sound really good! It's plenty to be going on with, definitely. You could always do a little questionnaire to hand out to the people who go there, asking what kind of groups people would like to see being held with tick boxes for the ones you've mentioned and some space for suggestions?

I'm working with my local baby yoga teacher to set up a birth trauma support group to start in autumn, sadly it seems there's more of a call for it than I'd thought!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->