• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Doula's & Birth Partners....

Thanks honey, although can I hold off on the book for a couple of days, as I didn't realise I'd already bid ob one on eBay!! (it ends in a couple of days) xx

it is sad to know there is a call for birth trauma support :(

Thanks honey, although can I hold off on the book for a couple of days, as I didn't realise I'd already bid ob one on eBay!! (it ends in a couple of days) xx

it is sad to know there is a call for birth trauma support :(

No worries :winkwink:

I know :nope: I was talking to my osteopath about it and she was saying the amount of people who come to her for treatment swearing that they'll never have another baby unless it's by elective section, is unbelievable.

Hi girls, sorry to thread hi-jack but I thought you would be the best people to ask where as an expecting mother I can find a doula if I'm interested? I'm in Northern Ireland so I'm persuming they may be far and few between over here :-(

Many thanks xo

Hi sweetness, your not hijacking, that's what it's for :)
I'll have an ask around for your area xxxx

YAY I just paid up for my course, well Matthew has. I was going to pay it by installments but he said he will treat me to it. :happydance: So, July it is for me.

I am going to read back the last few pages of this thread now....

Elski, Ill see you in July!

I too am a bit worried about what to do with Abigail when I go on this course. It looks like I am going to have to express 3 days worth of milk which I really dont like the sound of but we can still have our time when I come back home in the evenings and she is only going to be 4 months old as well...:wacko:

I am also surprised at how common a traumatic birth is, which really saddens me to be honest, especially when women feel like they cant talk about there birthing experience as it hurts too much and health professionals are quick to chuck anti-depressants down your throat as soon as you say you feel a bit down. I had a lovely midwife come out to visit me on day 10 post natally and she asked me..how I was feeling? This midwife had only been qualified 2 months but she was the only person who had asked me that in the whole 10 months and in the post natal period which is shocking. I sometimes wonder if there are new mummies out there that are secretly suffering. Anyway, I am going on again ..but I think the support group is a great idea Elski!

Awww ER what a sweetheart Matthew is, bless him!

The paying for the course is what worries me as I do wedding venue decoration, but until the summer the weddings are few and far between. I guess if I did MMs course in Yorkshire rather than Bolton I'd have ample time to save up. Hubbys wage pretty much pays the bill

Awww ER what a sweetheart Matthew is, bless him!

The paying for the course is what worries me as I do wedding venue decoration, but until the summer the weddings are few and far between. I guess if I did MMs course in Yorkshire rather than Bolton I'd have ample time to save up. Hubbys wage pretty much pays the bill

I am starting to wonder what Matthew has done.....:winkwink:

Nikki, the course is expensive isnt it? Well it is for me at the moment. I would definately do the furthest course away if you can so you can pay in installments. Valerie told me they need £150 to start the payplan thing though..and then you have to pay the remaining balance 40 days before start of course. xxx

How much is your course girls??
Mine was £350 and they are running another one in August in Cambridge.
ER - they are desperate for Doulas in London!! xxxx

How much is your course girls??
Mine was £350 and they are running another one in August in Cambridge.
ER - they are desperate for Doulas in London!! xxxx

Are they really Emma, thats good to know :) Mine is £350 as well hun...how are you anyway? Im wondering how long it takes to get clients so you can get certified. You need to attend 4 births, or visit 4 women postnatally and reflect on each one, to get certified x x

Hi girls, sorry to thread hi-jack but I thought you would be the best people to ask where as an expecting mother I can find a doula if I'm interested? I'm in Northern Ireland so I'm persuming they may be far and few between over here :-(

Many thanks xo

Hi AS :)

Check here for registered doulas in your area https://www.doula.org.uk/

Edit - sorry I just checked and there are none registered with doula UK at the moment

https://www.douladirectory.co.uk/public/search/search.php

https://www.findadoula.org.uk/id4.html

This might also help :)

https://www.doulanorthernireland.co.uk/

https://www.doulaireland.com/

It is so adorable!!
I'm hoping to start my assignment tonight. I did fairly well with my PND research (well, as well as you can inbetween Georgie nap times, the ironing, cooking dinner etc!!)

Does anyone else do much at their local childrens centre??
I am thinking of approaching them & asking whether or not Vici and I (of course, if Vici definitely wants to - hehe) could hold some groups there.
Here's my ideas for groups, what do you all think....
A) a 'Natural mamas' type group, where we can meet to chat about cloth nappies, baby wearing, co-sleeping, BLW, etc. etc.
B) a 'Mums in confidence' type meet, where mums can meet (with or without their lo's) to talk about PND, birth trauma, PTSD etc. (I thought of this one as when reading peoples views on PND, mums seemed to say that ordinary mum & baby groups can be too stressful, as they feel they have to keep up apperances etc.)
C) I'd like to try and have a bit of a chat with mums and dads to be about Doulaing during their antenatal classes.

Do you reckon these sound ok? If you had the option to attend, do you think you would?xx

I really enjoyed the baby group I attented with Jasmine.... I do wish I had known about it sooner though because I may have been able to get more help with feeding.

It was split into 2 groups... 1 group is called the new parent group... It is babies from birth-6 months and was a great support network.

I will admit, I think here everything is a bit more laid back. In our group everyone was pretty respectable and open to talking about just about anything... we have babywearing moms, breastfeeding moms, bottle feeding, co-sleeping moms etc. You name it, our group had it. And there was no disrespect to anyone ever.

On top of that, on the new mom group days we also had 2 health visitors set up for moms to go to get help on feeding issues whether the breastfed or bottlefed. Our HV's are pro-bfing, but I think culturally we are pretty respectable to nursing moms and formula feeding moms, so our HV's will help with bottle questions etc too. Which is excellent because support needs to be offered for everyone. They also had a scale to weigh the babies.

I really believe that people shouldn't feel ashamed of how they parent their baby. I am really grateful that our baby group is such a diverse yet respectable group. Everyone could bring something different and different experiences without feeling judged, and we can also learn alot from the different ways people parent their baby too.

We always had guest speakers come in, we had someone come in to speak about nursing bras, someone to talk about and demonstrate slings, someone to talk about carseat safety etc, one day we had someone come in and demo some basic baby massage.

And through the group you could also sign up for other things geared towards younger babys including baby yoga, baby massage, music type things... you name it .

It was wonderful group filled with information on just about anything... Everything was very comfortable and clean too... There were rockers, comfy couches everything for us moms to kick back and relax.

It is so adorable!!
I'm hoping to start my assignment tonight. I did fairly well with my PND research (well, as well as you can inbetween Georgie nap times, the ironing, cooking dinner etc!!)

Does anyone else do much at their local childrens centre??
I am thinking of approaching them & asking whether or not Vici and I (of course, if Vici definitely wants to - hehe) could hold some groups there.
Here's my ideas for groups, what do you all think....
A) a 'Natural mamas' type group, where we can meet to chat about cloth nappies, baby wearing, co-sleeping, BLW, etc. etc.
B) a 'Mums in confidence' type meet, where mums can meet (with or without their lo's) to talk about PND, birth trauma, PTSD etc. (I thought of this one as when reading peoples views on PND, mums seemed to say that ordinary mum & baby groups can be too stressful, as they feel they have to keep up apperances etc.)
C) I'd like to try and have a bit of a chat with mums and dads to be about Doulaing during their antenatal classes.

Do you reckon these sound ok? If you had the option to attend, do you think you would?xx

I missed this before...:dohh: These sound like really good ideas hun for a group and I am sure a lot of people will attend ..:)

I love the idea of different speakers coming to talk about relevant stuff :)

Our baby group is very like that Joss... i run it :rofl:

We have everyone there and our HV visit...but its getting rather big as we keep refusing to leave after a year so its becoming a huuuge group of children in a tiny space :dohh:

I like the idea of getting speakers in but TBH for us it wouldnt work we've tried before but everyone just wants to chat :shrug:

We have other days where we can go to massage and singing classes etc though... We have have nights out and things which are good.

Babyhaines it sounds great :thumbup:

Maybe if you had a guest speaker once every couple of months so it didnt stop the social side and people made suggestions as to what they'd be interested in it might work better? :)

Hmmmm i shall ask...tbh at the moment most babies are like 6-9months now and only a few coming in (only a tiny village) that are all teeny :wacko:

Ya we didn't have a guest speaker every week... It was more once in awhile. But the HV;s were there everytime.

Our group was quite large too which is why I found it to be helpful to have the new parent group for babies 0-6 months only... because then things are more geared to newborn issues... like breastfeeding, sleeping, baby massage etc...

When we graduated into the next group it was 6-12 month babies and the information and stuff was more geared to those ages... weaning, teething etc...

Any of the time the girls had different things going on... The guest speaker was only there for part of the group so you still had socialization time. And if we had stuff like scrapbooking or footprint making or whatever then it was set up in a corner so people could come and go as they choose.

Is anyone here aware of the Nestle boycott??
Have just been reading a report about them marketing baby foods for 4months plus, implying that breastmilk is not sufficient....!!
Grrrrrrrrr!! Outrageous!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"