Driving 10+ hours with a 1 month old?

lcmorla

Reaction score
I am 9 weeks today, I am due on November 21st. I want to drive from Oregon to California in December for Christmas where my family lives.

I just moved out here from California a little over two months ago and I'm already 9 weeks, can you believe that?! :winkwink:

I'm just wondering if anyone has traveled so far in a vehicle with a 1 month old? Flying is another option but all those people sharing the same air seems just as bad.

Maybe I should wait?

We traveled back and forth with our 1st for a 7 hour trip each way due to my son's birth defect we were getting treated in another state. We didn't exactly have a choice so we made the best of it. We traveled back and forth from 2 weeks old to about 3 months old. My advice would be to plan for it take a bit longer. You will need some stops for changing diapers and feedings. For the most part, we didn't have much trouble, our son didn't mind the car ride too much. In fact, it seemed kind of soothing to him. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I'm sure baby will do just fine.

The baby will sleep through most of the trip. Just make stops as needed, or split it into 2 days and stay at a hotel overnight somewhere halfway.

My LO was feeding every 1-2 hours at that age, so that could be tricky. They will probably do a good amount of sleeping, but I'd also be prepared for a lot of stopping.

We did 12+ hours when my LO was almost four months old and it was horrid, though it's quite possibly easier when they're brand new.

I'd probably just play it by ear and see how you and baby are managing when the time comes. Baby's temperament will probably be a big factor.

Baby will sleep a lot which should make it easier. As the others have said you'll need to make lots of stops as you can't leave them in car seats for more than a couple of hours as it's not good for their backs xx

I did read it isn't recommended for a newborn to sit in the car seat for more than 2 hours at a time because it is an unnatural position for their back but seeing as you would need regular stops to feed and change diapers maybe just take a slightly longer break each stop to let the little one lie on their back and give their back a break.

I'd say for a month old baby it's unrealistic. Like others have said, they shouldn't be in their car seat for more than two hours, they need to be fed and changed regularly, if they spit up, they'll need changing again, and just as you're ready to drive off from that supposed half an hour stop, it's time to do it all again. They might be the kind of baby that hates the car in the first place and screams the whole time they're in there. You just don't know until they're here what kind of baby they'll be and what kind of needs they'll have.

Most newborns sleep in the car but also when awake will scream blue murder. As others said you'd need a lot of stops so it could end up being quite stressful/drawn out. How long is the flight? It might be the best option as I'm pretty sure baby stays on your lap?

I did a 5 hour trip with my 8 week old and she was an angel, she slept the whole way there. In contrast to that, driving around with her now can be a nightmare if she isn't happy, so for us the younger the baby the easier. Having said that, DD was pretty much sleeping through the night at this stage and had a fairly defined routine so it was easy to know her needs. We only needed to stop the once which made things very easy for us and I am sure she would have coped with a longer journey. I think it really does depend on the baby and it's much easier to make that decision when LO is here xx

ETA: One thing you may need to consider is how fit YOU will be for a long journey at 4 weeks post birth. If you end up with stitches it can take some time for these to heal and if you are on a long car journey you may get uncomfortable. Not to mention that you will possibly still be bleeding at this stage too. I really underestimated the recovery period after giving birth so whilst I think my baby may have coped with such a long journey, I'm not sure I would have.

As others have said, I don't think it's wise for a LO to be in a car seat that long.
That said, I'd be more worried about you driving for so long, especially knowing how draining and tiring LOs are in the first couple of months.
It would be a horrible journey to do if LO keeps you awake all night the night before you leave!
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->