Due in June 2014!(88 sunflowers), 37 (blue), 24 (pink), (48) here!

about the DS letter, mine took about 3 and half weeks to arrive!!

ive only bought a knitted cardigan in white from some lovely ladies raising money, not got anything else yet!! want to know the sex... 34 days to go :D

So just got missed call from the doctors . I knew right away something is wrong if they call you with the results ...
My Pap smear test came back abnormal . There is more HPV cells than it should be . They don't know why is that and they cannot do any further tests during pregnancy . They have to wait for me to deliver the baby .
I asked them what that means and they said HPV virus is the one that cause cervical cancer if left untreated :shrug:
And told me to ask my doctor at my next app about it .
They said it's ok to wait six month to find out if everything is ok , but seriously , how can I wait 6 months not knowing if it is cancer or not :cry:
Anyone had an experience with this or know someone ?

Hugs proud momma - there is a thread in. 2nd tri about HPV it's more about active infection but might have some info for you. I've not read it all

ProudMomma, I don't know all the ins and outs about HPV but I don't think it's anything to worry about at all. All I know is that it's an extremely common virus and pretty much every sexually active person has had it at some point. It is my understanding that there are only a few strains of it that can lead to cancer, but once you're at the stage where you're detecting HPV, you're not even in the same universe as cancer, as that would take many years to develop after having HPV.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any effect at all on your pregnancy. I hate that the doctor got you all hyped up about it. They really need to watch how they phrase things because even the smallest hint of concern is enough to cause a pregnant woman to worry!

Proudmomma, my sister has had this with her smears. Hpv is the same virus that causes cold sores etc and I'm surprised the doctor didnt explain that it is not actually cancer! Like Cali said it is extremely common and most people have it in their bodies at some point. Try not to worry! x

Frizabelle - pretty sure herpes causes cold sores not hpv?

But there are many strains of hpv. Majority of them mostly harmless and easily treated. Don't worry proudmomma you'll be fine.

But there are many strains of hpv. Majority of them mostly harmless and easily treated. Don't worry proudmomma you'll be fine.

Well , she told me I have abnormal cells on my cervix and they don't know why . She said they cannot do anything about it until delivery and my doctor should explain it further .
I have read the HPV thread here on BnB and didn't actually find anything what they told me :shrug:
Don't know , I am confused . Only thing that keeps ringing in my mind is when I asked her what it means was ... HPV is the virus that contain cervical cancer and that can happen if untreated .
I know it's probably nothing but you don't wanna be pregnant and get call about anything that has the word cancer in it :nope:
I spoke to my mom and she told me she had it and my sister too . My sister actually had to have part of her cervix cut out . But they are both fine

Well , she told me I have abnormal cells on my cervix and they don't know why . She said they cannot do anything about it until delivery and my doctor should explain it further .
I have read the HPV thread here on BnB and didn't actually find anything what they told me :shrug:
Don't know , I am confused . Only thing that keeps ringing in my mind is when I asked her what it means was ... HPV is the virus that contain cervical cancer and that can happen if untreated .
I know it's probably nothing but you don't wanna be pregnant and get call about anything that has the word cancer in it :nope:
I spoke to my mom and she told me she had it and my sister too . My sister actually had to have part of her cervix cut out . But they are both fine

I'm assuming the person who you spoke to was a nurse? Their understanding of this is limited.

A Pap smear results are read as either "normal" or "abnormal". Many many women get abnormal results (which means abnormal cells on cervix), and everything is fine. Just google it you'll see how common an abnormal result it.

HPV, or some strains of it CAN lead to cervical cancer, but they don't always. Or like Cali said it would take a very long time.

This result does not mean that you have cervical cancer. It only means that they'll need to do more testing because theres a slight POSSIBILITY that it can lead to cervical cancer.

You should speak directly to your doctor. Don't stress. It's not as serious as you're thinking it is :hugs:

Oh and if your mom and sister had it, it doesn't mean you would. It's not hereditary.

Oh and if your mom and sister had it, it doesn't mean you would. It's not hereditary.

What I meant was my sister and mum had abnormal Pap smear also and they were ok . My mother in law actually too but she needed some laser therapy etc ...
Thank you all . I think I would take it ok if I would not be pregnant because I am worried about the baby . And yes , it was just a nurse calling .
Also it's kinda nerve wracking to wait another 6 months for further tests :dohh:

I am really actually not stressing about myself , I just want to know my baby is going to be ok :baby:

What I meant was my sister and mum had abnormal Pap smear also and they were ok . My mother in law actually too but she needed some laser therapy etc ...
Thank you all . I think I would take it ok if I would not be pregnant because I am worried about the baby . And yes , it was just a nurse calling .
Also it's kinda nerve wracking to wait another 6 months for further tests :dohh:

I am really actually not stressing about myself , I just want to know my baby is going to be ok :baby:

I'm sure baby is just fine :hugs:

Proudmomma - I know nothing about what you're going through, but just wanted to send you hugs! :hugs:

Proudmama BEFORE I got pregnant I had several abnormal paps come back and a biopsy done that said I had precancerous cells. Not sure of it was HPV related as the dr didn't mention it. They 1st treated it with some kind of vinegar solution but that didn't work and later I had to have cryosurgery. Which basically means they went in and froze my cervix.. Kinda like they do if you have warts, not genital warts just like the ones on your hands or whatever. Not for sure if you're familiar. Anyways.. The only reason why they can't treat you while pregnant is because it's your cervix. Precancerous cells just means there's a POSSIBILITY it can turn into cancer in the future. Not that it will. I had 3 regular paps done after the cryo and everything is back to normal. Hope this helps. I know it's different because you're pregnant but if it was going to be a huge issue they would have had you cone in for a visit to discuss your options.

Proudmama BEFORE I got pregnant I had several abnormal paps come back and a biopsy done that said I had precancerous cells. Not sure of it was HPV related as the dr didn't mention it. They 1st treated it with some kind of vinegar solution but that didn't work and later I had to have cryosurgery. Which basically means they went in and froze my cervix.. Kinda like they do if you have warts, not genital warts just like the ones on your hands or whatever. Not for sure if you're familiar. Anyways.. The only reason why they can't treat you while pregnant is because it's your cervix. Precancerous cells just means there's a POSSIBILITY it can turn into cancer in the future. Not that it will. I had 3 regular paps done after the cryo and everything is back to normal. Hope this helps. I know it's different because you're pregnant but if it was going to be a huge issue they would have had you cone in for a visit to discuss your options.

Thank you :flower:
What I was thinking was it it's not a big deal why they didn't wait for my doctor to tell me at my next appointment ...
Guess I am just panicking :shrug:
Thank you for sharing your experience :hugs:

Thank you :flower:
What I was thinking was it it's not a big deal why they didn't wait for my doctor to tell me at my next appointment ...
Guess I am just panicking :shrug:
Thank you for sharing your experience :hugs:

Yeah when the nurse called and told me I freaked out but my doctor said it was fairly common. I think cancerous cells would scare anyone. Especially hormonal pregnant women.

On a different note the perinatologist told me I would have to have increased monitoring later in my pregnancy due to my sub chorionic hemorrhage cause it could cause preterm labor and placental abruption. When I mentioned it to my OB he said that doc was a quack. I think that the dr's give worst case scenarios to patients just to cover their butts. He didn't tell me that it was very rare that something like that could happen just said it matter of fact kind of way.

Don't stress or google. :) lol

Ophelia, sorry to hear about your sch! I have one too which got bigger at my last scan, they are terrifying! They found it at over 10 weeks due to a massive bleed and emergency ultrasound.
Do you have any pains with yours? I get 'lightening' like pains shoot through me.
I'm glad they are going to monitor you more closely. There is an sch group on here which is really good and informative x

proudmamma: i've edited the quotes below, bolded some bits and my own insights are pink. i have HPV and i've had an abnormal result from a smear in the past. please try not to worry!

All I know is that it's an extremely common virus and pretty much every sexually active person has had it at some point. It is my understanding that there are only a few strains of it that can lead to cancer, but once you're at the stage where you're detecting HPV, you're not even in the same universe as cancer, as that would take many years to develop after having HPV.

this. just because you have HPV cells doesn't mean they are one of the strains that can cause you to later develop cervical cancer.

I know it's probably nothing but

abnormal does not necessarily mean pre-cancerous.

HPV, or some strains of it CAN lead to cervical cancer, but they don't always. Or like Cali said it would take a very long time.

This result does not mean that you have cervical cancer. It only means that they'll need to do more testing because theres a slight POSSIBILITY that it can lead to cervical cancer.

You should speak directly to your doctor. Don't stress. It's not as serious as you're thinking it is :hugs:

and THAT is why no doctor in the UK will do a pap smear on you if you are pregnant. i was due one in november but they have told me they won't do it until after the birth.

Proud momma I also don't have any knowledge on your situation but the advice given seems promising, I hope all is ok :hugs: xxx

I don't know about hpv either. :shrug: can you go to a different doctor to get a second opinion?

Thank you all . I feel better about it . I have app on 23rd Monday and I am gonna talk to my doctor further about it .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->